Winter Base Training, Fact or Fiction?

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

sailor

Winter Base Training, Fact or Fiction?

Post by sailor »

Something to chew on next time Barton tries to convince you to spend 5 hours in the cold and rain. :wink:

http://www.velonews.com/2015/02/video/v ... les_360501
JohnT

Re: Winter Base Training, Fact or Fiction?

Post by JohnT »

Interesting.... A few years ago while returning from Sardinia I sat beside an old bike racer from the UK. I told him that I'd been racing in Italy, but that after the race, I'd been working (in Belgium) and not riding much (3 weeks if I remember correctly, maybe more).I was worried I'd lost much of the benefit from the stage race. I told him about our rides and his advise was to ride the the Caddy Bay hill (first part of Wednesday hills for those that have never done it ;-) as hard as I could without worrying about making it to the top. He said don't even try. Walk the last half. Then repeat. It's the only other time (in addition to this video) that I've heard the advise to repeat intervals to exhaustion.
Paul C.

Post by Paul C. »

Sounds like it's time again to revive our Wednesday hill workout.
Do you remember 15 to 25 3shot keeners waiting at the top of St. Claire for their team mates.

I'd be intersted to here opinions on this subject from old roadies like:
Joe Barrett, Mark Ford...Jimmy W.

and from men with wisdom, such as:
Lister. Peter. Paul O' Callahan.
AJ Neale

Post by AJ Neale »

Thanks Craig! So Wiki says:

Some researchers also note that HIIT requires "an extremely high level of subject motivation"[attribution needed] and question whether the general population could safely or practically tolerate the extreme nature of the exercise regimen.[2]

Sounds like a Tuesday ride ( or any A ride )!

Perhaps the Tripleshot motto could be appended:

Tripleshot Cycling "Predawn Café Destination Cycling for highly motivated cyclists able to tolerate extreme exercise"

Andrew :wink:
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

Paul, No discussion needed on a Wednesday hill revival. Just set your alarm and join the few people that have been showing up all along. I'm not one of them, but whenever I have gone, there's been someone else there to. JT
Bosie

Post by Bosie »

:)
I think its hard to keep yourself motivated mentally doing hard intense workouts in the Winter months- well for me anyway. Scientifically, the base workouts and HI intervals may be the same over a short period of time, but the mental side of it is not measured over a year. I guess the trick is to find the right mix that works for you and that can sustain your progression both mentally and physically over the course of a season...

I suspect that "winter base miles" are easier to real off mentally than hard sessions during peak season, while still staying fresh for the upcoming stresses of the season. But then I dont like those either:)

But Im not a coach or an elite athlete, so I have no idea- I just find this stuff interesting :)

I think that Lister, Peter or Paul's input would be very interesting...
Craig B.
Paul C.

Post by Paul C. »

Would pounding back about
5 tripleshot espressos...intensly, in a short period of time work?

With.....or without hills??
POC

Post by POC »

I believe that base training was popular as it was a bridge between seasons. When the T&F season concluded I remember taking a small break before a period of steady social running with my training group before we embarked on the next hard spell of training. However, in those days we had distinct seasons, i.e, T&F April- September and cross country December - March. However, as the commercialization of the sport grew so did the number of events and the opportunity to earn prize money increased giving the athletes opportunities to race all through the year. I would add that this is probably the same in cycling. This resulted in the concept of base training becoming irrelevant as we needed to be close to peak fitness on a more regular basis. It is certainly easier to stay fit with intervals than easy steady rides. However, most rides with TS are of the short, sharp high intensity type. I think what is more important is to realize when an easier ride is required and to drop down a group rather than just ride with the same group to maintain continuity. Mileage is also an interesting topic. Within the TS club we witness riders who ride close to 25,000km per year but this does not make them necessarily faster than a rider who might only ride 8000km but has a higher number of interval type rides. The double Olympic Champ over 1500m Seb Coe was one of the first athletes to dispel the need for high mileage and the ran a third of what his competitors ran but with emphasis on intervals. I still run and maintain my sharpness with one hard interval session per week. I now only run 30-40km per week and am in 35/36 min 10k shape off that one interval workout. To sum up, I believe the rides in TS are about right in intensity and riders certainly have the choice whether to extend themselves with a faster group but the weather also plays a part. I doubt there have been too many fast threshold rides the last fortnight. I find I enjoy the long easy rides more in the summer anyway. Finally, knowing when to rest and when to go hard is more important than base riding. See you on the bike soon.
mlawless

Post by mlawless »

All I have to say in response to this madness ("I now only run 30-40km per week and am in 35/36 min 10k shape off that one interval workout.") is PHOOEY! :evil:

Michael
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

If training is the objective, IE getting better, the first thing that comes to mind is not so much what kind of training, as ensuring that that training is about a gradual progressive overload, and then rest, to allow the body to adapt. The youth team uses mainly 4 week cycles, building for three, then backing off for one. Otherwise you're really just exercising. Also good for you, but not really "training".

The trick for me as youth coach, and I'd guess most of us, is making a progression out of group rides and other fun stuff without messing up everyone else's ride or adding hours to the rides. Some are easier; 4 hill reps one week, then 5, then 6, then 3. Then 5, then 6, then 7, then 4. Etc.

For most of us, ahem, adults, strength and core might be a better focus in winter, which would cover your intensity addiction, with easy group rides between. Nice change, repair some bad habits from the season, not too crazy in bad weather. Build weeks and rest weeks in both also.

Regular group rides a bit harder to vary. Maybe week 1 steady to coffee and jam one lap, week 2 steady then jam for 3 laps, week three jam from KGT plus 3 laps? Then week 4 just steady to coffee with next group down. I think the motivation of the group is better for bike racers than more precise but boring and low skill trainer workouts, but those would be similar.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4