Fox and Hounds

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

aruss

Fox and Hounds

Post by aruss »

I have heard a pursuit style ride on Friday's has occurred before. Is there interest firing this back on a Friday sometime soon? A's give B's a Strava pre-calculated buffer and then release the hounds!
barton bourassa

Re: Fox and Hounds

Post by barton bourassa »

First, who is aruss? Just curious!!

Second, don't know about you but, it's winter! Time to relax! Let the fox be for a little while. You know, rest the hounds!

Great idea for spring though! Hey, also, really easy for me to say as a good old solid C rider!

Barton.
Last edited by barton bourassa on Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barton Bourassa
Bosie

Post by Bosie »

I really like the idea Andrew and have often wondered why we dont do it sometime- apparently it was a feature but fell out of favor- perhaps one of the more senior members could enlighten us?

I think it would need some thought.

The B rides are " no drop" rides, and so are very much dependent on the mood of the group/ bunch for the day. I think one might be losing some of the ethos of the ride if you asked say a B3 group to try and keep a pace going to beat the A's. So not sure it should be a "fixed" ride, perhaps an optional ride once a month/ fortnightly?

Just "blue skying" :

I think one might be able to do something along the lines of say a group of stronger A1 riders chased the A1/ A2s...Or set up groups of say 6 at the start of interested people and did a kind of pursuit along the route. Most of us know where we fit in the pecking order..Similar to how we currently set up groups on the TTT

What do you do if a part of a group drops out (punctures/ mechanical/ leaves for work)?

Might have to wait for Spring for enough numbers?

One might also argue that creating a situation whereby people are incentivized to "race" stop signs and intersections.

I would miss my "warm up" on Shelbourne :)

Anyway, glad you got the conversation started- lets see if there is any other interest/ detractors..:)
Craig B.
Mark C

Post by Mark C »

This was great fun! Look at strava segments (TripleShot 1st sprint & chase segment)&2nd & 3rd
We split into teams of 3 or 4 the sprinters got about 1min start and the other teams chased them down.

Cheers Mark
COYS
AJ Neale

Post by AJ Neale »

Sounds like a great idea.... and there must be variations some wise, senior member could pass along. Also, I agree with Craig that there is a risk of dangerous intersection shenanigans; maybe the Saturday Oak Bay riders could tell us how they safely conduct the "race" from Lands End to Interurban.

Andrew ( one of the slower ones )
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Thanks for the post Andrew. The lead groups did foxes and hounds about four years ago and it was a blast and taught people a lot about how to break away and how to work together to chase. I don't think that danger was an issue as it wasn't a race but more a game and an exercise. Usually the 3 man break went from Blenkinsop and hounds caught the foxes by caddy bay, there was a regroup and then the next set went off from there to bhp. Spring would be a great time to do it but would be game to try it now with some A1/A2s.
MDAWSON

Post by MDAWSON »

I'm in. I remember when we did this 3 or 4 years ago, and it was a blast. Lister organized several different exercises similar to this back then, and it really made the rides enjoyable.

Just as long as we do this on a friday that I can make it...

Also, since aruss is a bonified leader on the A ride these days it would be fairly easy to incorporate these types of games on the A ride where people mostly care about a hard workout, and worry less about dropping others, etc. It may also encourage others to join the A ride if games are being played, as opposed to the usual slog.