Do we look like this?

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

steve

Do we look like this?

Post by steve »

Hey all,

Just saw a link to this on social media. I'd like to think that we don't ride like this but I'm sure that we have aggravated our share of drivers. Great reminder to share the road with motorists.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/cyclists-behaving- ... -1.3067612

Steve
Rolf

Re: Do we look like this?

Post by Rolf »

That's one raggedy group. But I'm sure we can look a bit like this at times.

It's also a bit disingenuous to stick a TV camera out a window as you pass a group of riders and then present them as "not wanting to talk". At least they gave airtime to a few reasonable folks in lycra who said how things *should* be done.

My biggest takeaway is that I'm again grateful I'm not forced to pursue my favourite pastime of group road cycling on the Lower Mainland!
wonger

Post by wonger »

Confrontational, sensationalistic, one-sided. Shoddiest bit of "journalism" I've seen in a while.
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

Rolf

Post by Rolf »

An unfortunate follow-up to this piece on River Road group-rides. One cyclist dead and two seriously injured after a collision yesterday with a 19 year-old in a black lexus:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3839054
In the statement, RCMP Cpl. Dennis Hwang said the collision scene was a "difficult" one for officers to investigate.

"To put it into some perspective, the carbon fiber frame and forks on one of the bikes was snapped in multiple places like twigs or matchsticks," Hwang wrote.
:(
barton bourassa

Post by barton bourassa »

A cyclist or group of cyclists may get in the way of a vehicle and hold them up for 30 or 60 seconds at the most but what must be front and centre is the power dynamic. Cyclists can cause a car driver to get upset. Car drivers can and do kill cyclists. Just a bit of a power imbalance.

The photo in the article shows a very narrow road. On the left hand side is a single cyclist. the vehicle behind her must wait until there is a there is no oncoming traffic to pass. There is no room for a cyclist or group of cyclists riding single file to allow a vehicle to pass in the same lane. Just like up the hill on Ash or for most of Blenkinsopp. String out the large group of cyclists in single file and the poor vehicle driver would have a very long line of cyclists to pass and would need a lot of room in the oncoming lane to pass them all.

The answer? Patience on the part of the driver? Courtesy on the part of the cyclists?
Barton Bourassa