Goldstream Heights Saturday Aug 27, 6 AM

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

barton bourassa

Goldstream Heights Saturday Aug 27, 6 AM

Post by barton bourassa »

We tried this back in early July and had to cut it short due to nasty weather, mechanical issues and just a really bad feeling about the day. So:

Got nothin' better to do on a Saturday morning (and likely part of the early afternoon!)??

Let's ride the Malahat and Goldstream Heights. Leaving from Starbucks Alpha and Douglas at 7 AM.

We did this a while back with some pretty fast riders and Mikael and I! We would like to do it again this weekend but a bit slower and with less stand around time. Here is my strava info from the last ride: https://www.strava.com/activities/621857396

This is a nice ride. Lots of climbing and lots of distance. This is the description I posted last time as well:

For those of you who have not ridden this route before or if you are concerned about the potential strength and speed of those who have signed onto this ride Sunday, this is doable!! The group generally rides together to Goldstream Park then the climb starts. At your own pace. Most times folks wait at the last parking/lookout area just past the summit then fly down the backside to Serious Coffee at Frayne Rd on the west side of the highway. Have a quick coffee or coke, whatever you need to help you on your way, then as a group we ride to the Shawnigan Lk Mill Bay Rd to Shawnigan Lake turning Left onto Shawnigan Lake Rd. The group generally stays together until West Shawnigan Lake Rd where the climbing up to Stebbings Rd begins (4K from W Shawnigan Lk Rd to Stebbings, a long steady climb). Stebbings has been another wait up point or quicker riders go back and ride up to Stebbings with the slower riders. Then we head up towards Goldstream Heights Drive (left off of Stebbings, 1.6K from Shawnigan Lk Rd). You climb for 3 K till you get to the highest point on Goldstream Heights Drive then descend for 2.5 K down to Goldstream Ridge. This is a wonderful fast descent on a wide road with swooping curves and little traffic, except the odd deer!

The climb up Goldstream Ridge is interesting. It is only 700 m but! Grades can reach 18/19%. Your Garmin will likely go into Pause mode! You will be amazed at how slow you can ride and still stay upright! The group waits up at the top then down we go and then back up we go! Everyone has in the past waited at Stebbings and Shawnigan Lk Rd before heading back to the Malahat.

Descending down the Hat is also interesting and a bit challenging. The trickiest part is the last 2 or 2.5 K into Goldstream Park. The shoulder is quite narrow. It is important to give the rider in front of you lots of room just in case they have to stop quickly or encounter debris on the shoulder.

The ride from Goldstream Park up to the lights at West Shore Pkwy is strangely challenging. The climbing part is only 1.5K but it seems to go on forever and feels a whole lot steeper than it is! Once we get to the light we head back to town, usually on Goldstream Ave, as a group.

Anyway, there are lots of places the really quick riders can hammer it while us C and B wannabes huff and puff up the hills and regroup and get dragged along by the stronger riders. The club has done this ride many times with no serious incidents other than the odd flat tire. The highway is fairly quiet going up. Not so coming back. We are riding in narrow shoulders for only a short portion of the route.

One thing that Rob H mentioned was to make sure your tires are in good shape. You don't want to flat on the Malahat because you have old worn tires.

I think this time we won't stop for coffee at Serious on the other side of the Hat but have a quick pit stop at the Coop at the lights at Mill Bay then carry on.

You should not be intimidated by the this route. If you have never done this before, this is a great chance to experience this. We will take care of you and make sure you make it thru ok!

Hope to see you at Starbucks, Alpha and Douglas.

Barton.
Last edited by barton bourassa on Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barton Bourassa
The Princess

Re: Goldstream Heights Saturday Aug 27

Post by The Princess »

I'd be interested in this ride if there was a B1 type group wanting to go a little faster. Anyone interested?

Lisa
Mikael

Post by Mikael »

I am anxiously looking forward to Barton's ride on Saturday.

Data from Strava shows that I am in the 5th percentile (or lower) on the little hills around the city. Given this, it would be great if other members join the ride because I am not sure that I can manage without your help and encouragement.

Cheers,
Mikael
John D

Post by John D »

Any chance of starting at 6:00 instead of 7:00? Sunrise on Saturday is 6:25am, so it would be light enough by the time we'd hit the Malahat.

J.
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
barton bourassa

Re: Goldstream Heights Saturday Aug 27, 6 AM

OK Fine!!

Slight change of plan. Leaving from Starbucks near Alpha on Douglas at 6 AM. Still finishing with a few laps of Beacon!

BB
Barton Bourassa
John D

Post by John D »

Oh good lord...I guess I have to go now.

J.
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
Mark C

Post by Mark C »

I was in at the 7am start coz my Lilly Whites are on at 4.30am but it won't be finished till 6.30ish so have fun. unless I decide to chase you.

Cheers Mark
COYS
norman marcy

Post by norman marcy »

In
Will stay with you until Mill bay and then continue north to Cowichan Lake

0600 right???? early that is

be the water

Norman
Mark C

Post by Mark C »

In but don't wait will chase you and meet up somewhere

Mark
COYS
thallett

Post by thallett »

I am in.
Norm, If you happen to get this, do you want to meet at your house at 5:30? Call me:
250 418 5188.

Todd
jimwallace

Post by jimwallace »

Hey Mark I'm sure Spurs will be up 3 nil by half time, and you won't need to watch the second half,,,,, so you should be able to make it.
Mikael

Post by Mikael »

That was a wonderful ride for me. Tailwind all the way. Thank you Barton, Mark C, Mark F. John, Todd and Norm for all your help and encouragement.
Mikael
norman marcy

Post by norman marcy »

great to be able to participate with all of you gents on this fine day.

the hills and dales of gold stream were very managable ( especially when discretion on the full decent and consequential return torture was avoided )

the continuation of my ride to Cowichan Lake was also very enjoyable ( stop for coffee at the Duncan Garage is also a favourite diversion for me)

Driving back this evening I was thinking I need to join Barton on his 100k adventures more this fall and winter.

Is that the truing plan Barton??
barton bourassa

Yup, good ride! A few of us made it back up and over the Malahat in one piece!

Hey Norm, lots more of these planned for the coming months.

Nice to see you out this morning.

Barton.
Barton Bourassa