Completely not cycling related - Canada Day and Kids

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

LouiseF

Completely not cycling related - Canada Day and Kids

Post by LouiseF »

Since I can probably reach more folks with kids who live in Victoria (or who once were kids who lived in Victoria), I think this is a better bet for me than Facebook for throwing out my questions. And if Claire can post pics of poops and essays on capitalism this is okay right? ;-) (Although I do think she took a ribbing for it).

Since this is our first Canada Day as Canadians living in Canada (minus Greg but he's almost Canadian, just look at him!) we'd like to do something fun and catch fireworks with minimal hassle and getting the youngsters into bed before 11 pm (or at least midnight) - so downtown is out.

Are the fireworks viewable from Mt. Doug/Tolmie? Would we see enough to make it worth keeping them up late or does the rest of the Gordon Head/Cedar Hill area have the same idea? Would Moss Rocks be a good option (no wait, facing the wrong way, right?)

Does Fort Rodd Hill or anywhere else do fireworks that start before 10:20 pm?

Appreciate any crumbs of info you more local kine are willing to share.

Thnx!
Rolf

Re: Completely not cycling related - Canada Day and Kids

Post by Rolf »

It's been a while since I last headed down to the inner harbour with a backpack full of coolers and a bunch of roman candles/fake M80s, but I think one good way to get close enough to see the fireworks, while avoiding serious crowds, is to ride up to the top of Beacon Hill and sit in the grass just below the flagpole. There's an accompanying soundtrack on both 91.3 and 100.3 FM.

The other places you mention are too far away to make it worthwhile, I think. Fort Rodd Hill just does some cannon firings at noon. If it's the aerial display that's important, the Victoria Harbourcats baseball team puts on a pretty big fireworks show after their game at Royal Athletic Park on Thursday, June 30.

Gee, I feel like I'm back at my job as a hotel concierge.

p.s. you may need to explain this:
(minus Greg but he's almost Canadian, just look at him!)
Is Greg dashingly handsome and prone to dressing like a lumberjack, or something? :wink:
AJ Neale

Post by AJ Neale »

Hi Louise and Greg,

I would second Rolf's suggestion of Beacon Hill .... the parking should not pose a problem and you get to take a drive along the water ( both ways? ) and enjoy the view. Heck Greg can even peer lovingly to the south and glimpse the Motherland. :lol:

I would definitely avoid Mount Tolmie - it is pretty far away from the fireworks, the road is clogged early and even walking up is dodgy.

BTW Greg is certainly approaching Canadianhood ..... I swore I heard him say "sorry" when we dropped him on the Interurban Sprint last Saturday.

Andrew
Alan

Post by Alan »

AJ Neale wrote:Hi Louise and Greg,

BTW Greg is certainly approaching Canadianhood ..... I swore I heard him say "sorry" when we dropped him on the Interurban Sprint last Saturday.

Andrew
My vote so far for Post of the Year!
(even if true, this is very funny!)
:D :D
Greg F

Post by Greg F »

Alan wrote:
AJ Neale wrote:Hi Louise and Greg,

Andrew
My vote so far for Post of the Year!
(even if true, this is very funny!)
:D :D
Alas, its not too far off.... True story:

Last December, Louise & I were in Victoria for a job interview. We wandered downtown Saturday night, smack dab into the Lighted Truck Parade (itself a delightful slice of small-town-ness). As we crossed from the waterfront towards the Empress, we reached the street corner at the same time as another couple. The following conversation ensued:

Louise: Sorry, go ahead.
Couple: No, sorry, go ahead.
Louise: Thank you, but sorry, go ahead!
Couple: Sorry, please, YOU go ahead!
<etc for a few more cycles>

OK, how do you stop a Canadian Perpetual Apology Machine? Or for you programmers, an Infinite Do-Apologize Loop? That's right .... get the American! I gently steered Louise around behind the couple and on towards our destination. For a further two minutes, "Sorry!"s were still being volleyed across the lawn.

Fast forward 18 months. I'm standing completely still at another street corner, waiting for the light to turn so I can cross the street. A business man crosses the street to my right and bumps into the back of me. First words out of MY mouth as he continues his way down the sidewalk?

"Sorry about that!"
AJ Neale

Post by AJ Neale »

Congratulations!!! Your toque is in the mail! :D :D :D

Andrew
Claire

Post by Claire »

Umm... Andrew - I think I have an idea why your performance occasionally suffers on Thursday mornings. Posting at 4a.m.? Do you ever sleep??
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Couldn't resist this one.
Attachments
Sorry.png
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

Thanks everyone. I think we may bail on the fireworks after all; the more I think about what my day will be like following a midnight bedtime for the littles, the more I don't like the idea, even though sitting on Beacon Hill with the radio playing does sound nice. The more southerly born youngsters are used to fireworks that begin at 8:30 pm. I will begin to think of their consolation activity now to drown out all the disappointment.....although maybe i should stop while I am ahead. The last consolation prize in our house (bunny in lieu of a dog) isn't going so well right about now as some of you might have heard about. Maybe we just need to work on being firmer parents, yes, that's it.

Fozzy, love the pic!

Andrew - I think toque might be the most conversation inspiring word south of the border, based on my 11 year tour of 3 states - even more than washroom and Saskatchewan. "You're wearing a what? And how do you spell that?"

Although I have a few American students at UVic and they have been most enamored with the apparently Canadian word "duotang." So when you are down south on your next warm weather biking trip in AZ or someplace less rainy than Victoria in the winter, find a way to slip in the word duotang and see what kind of reaction you get. "I don't strava. I keep my mileage in my duotang."