Masters racing and Bob Cameron Crit

Moderator: mfarnham

Bosie

Masters racing and Bob Cameron Crit

Post by Bosie »

Hi,

As a complete noob to racing, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

I want to enter the Bob Cameron Crit in the Masters section (why not). There seem to be a A/B and a C category for old guys like myself (40-49). I feel like I want to race in the A/B category, but that might be dumb and Im not sure if Im even allowed to. I also need to have a registered "Masters" license.

All I have currently is the Tripleshot/ Cycling BC license with the ability to race.

What, and how do I get the other licenses?

Can/ Should I be racing in the A/ B race, or should I be in the C race?

Any help/ advice welcome.

Craig
Craig B.
Stéphane Tran

Re: Masters racing and Bob Cameron Crit

Post by Stéphane Tran »

Hi Craig,

From what I gather from the info on the website - which is a tad confusing - you cannot race the 9:10am Masters A/B race if you do not already have a Masters designation on your CBC license. However, you can still do the cat 3/4/Masters C 8:40am crit race.

Check it out: http://www.victoriabikerace.com/#!IMPOR ... 051e65874.

IMHO, If you have never raced before, the cat 3/4/Masters C crit on the Cameron Law weekend is not the best "starter" race. There will be a fair number of nervous, lesser experienced riders with sketchy cornering/tactical skills who could all too easily take you out.
I would suggest trying a VCL Speedway race or even the June 4 Cheemo Perogies road race to start your racing "career". Best of luck to you, whatever you choose!
Bosie

Post by Bosie »

How do you get a Masters designation on your licence? If not for this year, for next year...
Craig B.
MDAWSON

Post by MDAWSON »

Bosie,
Masters A is just 30-39, Masters B 40-49, and so on. You only need to register a Masters License with Cycling BC in whatever category, cat 3, cat 4, or cat 2! You will still race in your masters 10yr group, when in a Masters race.

Hope that helps, if you call cycling BC too they are actually very helpful with this kind of thing I've found, and can answer any questions.
Roland

Post by Roland »

If you have a citizen license like me (the $40 CBC License), I emailed Jon Watin, race director and he said:
Hi Roland, with us hosting the BC Masters/Elite Championships it creates challenges in accommodating all category racers and all masters age groups.

We have decided to combine the Cat 3/4s just like we normally do for the Metchosin Road Race. I have just added Citizen racers to that. However, you are the only Citizen men registered so far for the Criterium.

If your license says "Masters" on it, you can elect to race the dedicated Masters Championship A/B race.

Let me know what you want to do
Citizen licenses never say Masters on them, so it's the 3 / 4 race for me.

I also think the dangerousness of Cat 4 is highly exaggerated. I've done it many times and it's fine, even on the old Bastion Square course which was much more dangerous.
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"
Bosie

Post by Bosie »

So do you have to get a UCI license to get Masters written on it?
Craig B.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

The easiest thing to do is to speak to Vanessa at cycling Bc, she is very helpful and will tell you what you need to do to get the appropriate masters designation.

Office Tel: 604 737 3034
membership@cyclingbc.net

The masters crit will be a lot of fun and very fast so getting a few vcls in would be a good thing such as Speedway this week. I agree with Roland that the cat 3/4 is pretty good and not that sketchy, even at Bastion which was way more dangerous. It is always safest at the front!
EricS

Post by EricS »

Cat 4 last year was hella fast. Lots of sandbaggers. I recognized many cat 3s, and a few cat 2s on the start line. Still tons o' fun though. I'll do it again, but haven't figured out which cat.
Eric Simonson
AlW

Post by AlW »

Roland wrote:
Citizen licenses never say Masters on them, so it's the 3 / 4 race for me.

I also think the dangerousness of Cat 4 is highly exaggerated. I've done it many times and it's fine, even on the old Bastion Square course which was much more dangerous.
IMHO, If you have a lot of racing experience and are used to cornering and riding in close proximity to other riders at high speed, then you are going to be a lot more comfortable.

If you don't have a lot of races under your belt it can feel a bit dicey, particularly in the corners. Add that to the fact that you will probably be on your limit most of the time, which increases the chances of mistakes.

The road race is probably a better bet. Speeds are generally lower, packs are smaller and fewer corners.