Rear wheel switcheroo?

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

Claire

Rear wheel switcheroo?

Post by Claire »

I admit, I am a somewhat helpless female in this case, with a paucity of both appropriate tools and know-how to swap my cassette onto a new rear wheel. I will pay in granola or cookies if someone can come to my aid with said tool(s) and know-how to help get my new wheel rolling...
Rockland area. PM me pls :D
John D

Re: Rear wheel switcheroo?

Post by John D »

With a lock-ring tool ($7 at MEC), a chain whip ($19 at MEC), and a regular crescent wrench it's a three minute job. Money well spent if you find yourself needing to swap wheels/cassettes!

I should add that due to various wheel/drive-train problems I've had to swap cassettes four times in the past week. :shock:
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
Claire

Post by Claire »

Once again, this super-de-duper club and its awesome generous members has come to my rescue (I'm not talking about you, John Dower - you of the over-priced tool recommendations and clearly no appetite for my cookies). Thank you, kind repliers via PM and text. I think I have found my saviour. And I have added a couple more to my Rolodex of "friends with tools I can borrow" (I store that beside my Rolodexes of "friends with trucks" and "friends with trades backgrounds") which is never a bad thing. (Yes, I said "Rolodex" even though I'm not old enough to have ever owned one.)

Cheers!
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

Glad you got your wheel rollin' Claire! But I think you are old enough to have owned a rolodex. I keep one I used to use in my office for a "vintage" feel :wink: Or maybe its just that I'm a pack rat!
jimwallace

Post by jimwallace »

Reminds me of an early post about mechanical problems. To Quote Claire.

I believe we are all (or should be!) responsible adults with the means to rescue ourselves

Maybe this is a little presumptuous, but I believe we are all (or should be!) responsible adults with the means to rescue ourselves in the face of a major mechanical problem. I suspect this was more or less the mindset of those who trundled on down the hill this morning. But I welcome other perspectives.

I am ready to activate my forcefield to deflect any stones or mud that may be hurled my way.
Claire

Post by Claire »

Yes, Jim, but self-rescue wasn't the issue. The bike was functional and happily sitting in the garage, merely awaiting a new wheel. If we behaved more consistently like the communal beings are, there would be no need for everyone to own their own: power washer, pickup truck, compressor, bike tools or bag of sugar. We'd naturally share our respective wealth with our fellow denizens. And this club is awesome because we do behave so communally.

And if anyone finds themselves short on cookies... You know who to call.