Stravaholics check your privacy settings!

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

mfarnham

Re: Stravaholics check your privacy settings!

Post by mfarnham »

It's probably insufficient to mask your ride start/finish locations (which, for most of us, includes home) because unless your name is John Smith, your address can probably be identified with the phone book. You can set privacy to limit views of your profile to accepted "followers".

Of course, the same could be said of using your full name on this forum. For the record, I only have one bike and it's a rusty 1981 Schwinn.

Martin
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

What about the those of the assaultive criminally minded ilk? Hmmmm, I like the looks of this young lady on her bike. Oh look, this is where she lives and the route she rides predictably, in the dark, on her own.....
katew

Post by katew »

I saw an article full of "might be" and "perhaps" and "we suspect."

I saw nothing indicating, "a survey of larceny dockets over the last six months, compared to those from ten years ago, shows a significant (p <=0.05) increase in mentions of social media stalking as a means to commit the offence."

I saw an article that connected THEFT OF YER STUFF to TEH INTERWEBS and had a good headline backed with vague quotes by COPS in some other entirely different jurisdiction.

Perhaps they're seeing expensive carbon bikes being stolen because cycling is on the rise? Perhaps the narcotic epidemic is driving thieves to be bolder when looking for high-value stuff?

Repeat after me, friends:

Anecdotes (even skeery ones) are not data.
kateweber.com
Claire

Post by Claire »

Ah, Kate... It's really too bad you live so far away. I love your voice of reason. And your snark. But in this case, it's the reason I'm appreciating. There is way too much paranoia in our society nowadays - something you must be even more familiar with, living in the Excited States. Just because the media reports on something (negative), doesn't mean there's a significant risk of it happening to you.

I am saddened there are so few kids "allowed" to walk home from school sans-adult (for example), due to perceived dangers that just aren't backed up by statistics. Statistically, one of the most dangerous places for our kids to be is in a motor vehicle. Too bad that hasn't stopped people from driving them all over the place.

Argh, I should stop now before I unleash all my rants against society. Thank god for cycling and its magical ability to disappear the world's problems.