Giro Sardegna 2017

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Claire

Giro Sardegna 2017

Post by Claire »

This event has been on my radar since I was but a nascent, wet-behind-the-ears Tripleshotter - way back in the summer of 2015 when I still didn't understand where that coffee in front of me had come from. It sounds like a total blast - a good competitive challenge, something to motivate nutty winter training (not that I need any further encouragement...) and most of all a wikkid trip with cool people to ride our bikes somewhere different!

Here's the Giro Sardegna website - although I'm not seeing a whole lot of information on next year's event yet. But it's bound to be in April some time, which gives us a nice even year to get our poop in a group.

I am happy to take on some/most of the organizational duties needed to gather our herd together and ensure we all take the necessary steps to put together a successful club trip next year. I would need a few things to get the ball rolling:

1) A show of hands of seriously interested people.
2) A co-organizer who has been around the Italian block before, preferably one with half-decent organizational skills who has past experience and, even better, contacts within the event itself.
3) Past participants to keep an eye on this post and answer questions that may come up.
4) And, I suppose, the club's blessing to proceed...

Viva Italia!
Plawless

Re: Giro Sardegna 2017

Post by Plawless »

P R O C E E D

this is a totally amazing event - it will change your life (for the good) - IN!!!!
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

Seriously interested. The scale of the event is what thrilled me the most - I suggest checking the entry list this year. If it still attracts a big international field, then I am in.

JT
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

Hmmm, I was thinking Ardennes classics next year after doing the cobbled classics this year. But this is probably too good to miss if we have a solid gang going, so I'm in.
Peter M

Post by Peter M »

Sounds too good to pass up. I have been traveling like crazy this past year and this is what I need to get back .

I am IN.
EricS

Post by EricS »

There is a very good chance that Heather and I will be going if I can get a leave of absence.

Looks like they will not be heading back to Chia as we had hoped. Quite likely in the North. Here is a recent conversation I had with the organizer:

Eric: "Myself, and several others from my cycling club in Canada are hoping to come over for the 2017 edition. Is there any chance the dates have been chosen? Once we know the dates, we can begin planning, including requesting leaves of absence."

Tonino Scarpitti: "At the moment we can just tell you that the first stage of GiroSardegna 2017 will be in April, at Sunday 23rd. There will be a stage everyday until the last one in Friday 28th.
Probably we will be in Santa Teresa Gallura but that has to be confirmed.

Eric: "We had heard that the Giro may return to Chia next year. Any chance of that, or will Santa Teresa Gallura likely be this site?"

Tonino: "probably it will be in the north (santa teresa or cannigione). if we decide for the south, maybe it will be costa rei (but it's very difficult to go there because of the distance!)

Hope this helps for those of you thinking of coming. It is so worth it. And as Peter says, it is life changing!

Eric
Eric Simonson
Roland

Post by Roland »

Life changing for the better or worse?
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"
GarthC

Post by GarthC »

Count me in!
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

[quote]Tonino: "probably it will be in the north (santa teresa or cannigione). if we decide for the south, maybe it will be costa rei (but it's very difficult to go there because of the distance!)/quote]

If the giro is in the north I would be interested. My black jerseys are getting old and I think the riding around costa esmerelda is fantastic. There are reasons why the most expensive villas on Sardinia are found there. Also, from Santa Teresa Gallura it is only a short 50 minute ferry ride to Bonafacio, Corsica, France which I think is one of the most beautiful places I have been.

Marcus
Claire

Post by Claire »

Roland wrote:Life changing for the better or worse?
You'll have to come and find out. I'll mark you down as "in."
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Life changing may be an overly enthusiastic description. I have finished three giros and I was only slightly faster for a month or so after I got back. :?
Bud S

Post by Bud S »

I'm in.
Alan

Post by Alan »

My advice: watch out for volcanoes. Like Grímsvötn. A nasty one that could ruin anyone's travel plans.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_erup ... sv%C3%B6tn
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Alan wrote:My advice: watch out for volcanoes. Like Grímsvötn. A nasty one that could ruin anyone's travel plans.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_erup ... sv%C3%B6tn
Fine, you abstruse, lazy git. I'll do the horrible forum-dredging required to give your link meaning to those several hundred members who have joined us since 2010: viewtopic.php?p=4506#p4506

John: is there a club stipend available for the role of archivist? It's rapidly becoming a full-time vocation.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Rolf, thanks for dredging up that post which reminded me the link I just posted pointed to the wrong Icelandic Flight Disrupting Volcano (and frankly there's been too many of these IFDVs to feel safe these days!).

I got stuck in Paris because of the untimely eruption of Eyjafjallajökull, that bastard, which ruined my chances of glory in Sardegna. (note: Eyjafjallajökull is pronounced like: "I'll F**k your yogurt.")
Don't believe me, listen to a real Icelander teach you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSo_ND41-6g

As I said, those bound for Sardinian glory, better have a Plan B in case of IFDVs and other acts of God.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_erup ... %C3%B6kull
John D

Post by John D »

Rolf wrote:John: is there a club stipend available for the role of archivist?
Reading that quickly, my mind saw "anarchist", and my reply would have been "Yes there is, but it's already being split between Lund and Cassels."
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
Claire

Post by Claire »

John D wrote:
Rolf wrote:John: is there a club stipend available for the role of archivist?
Reading that quickly, my mind saw "anarchist", and my reply would have been "Yes there is, but it's already being split between Lund and Cassels."
Funny, when I read your reply, John, I thought it said "antichrist"... But even I must restrain myself and let that stop there.
Claire

Post by Claire »

Hey peeps, I've heard from a handful of you via PM but if you haven't already done so, PM me your real email address so I can make a list and we can sort of start to get organized.