Sorry! And the Nature of Suffering on Saturday mornings

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

jimwallace

Sorry! And the Nature of Suffering on Saturday mornings

Post by jimwallace »

Have a look at the truly comedic philosophic view of the nature of suffering. #TSSatSufferfest.

http://existentialcomics.com/comic/102

jim :idea:
Lund

Re: Sorry! And the Nature of Suffering on Saturday mornings

Post by Lund »

I take a more Cartesian view of suffering.

I think (I'm gonna puke), therefore I am.
John D

Post by John D »

Two things;

1. Roland - we need a "Didn't get the joke?" button for the Forum ASAP.

2. All the philosophizing reminds me of the time when over coffee (and regarding the Sunday ride) some new new guy asked when the Interurban sprint starts and Peter replied "There is no start, only a finish." :wink:
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
Greg F

Post by Greg F »

I prefer the Epic Rap Battle method of teaching philosophy myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N_RO-jL-90

Blunt!
In your face!
'Merican!
Greg F

Post by Greg F »

(PS You may want to turn the sound down while at work or in the presence of kids or timid souls. Sorry, I guess I'm becoming more Canadian everyday)
katew

Post by katew »

John D wrote: 2. All the philosophizing reminds me of the time when over coffee (and regarding the Sunday ride) some new new guy asked when the Interurban sprint starts and Peter replied "There is no start, only a finish." :wink:
Heh.

I'll never forget riding the Sidney Time Trial for the first time*. After I stopped puking, Peter asked how I did. "26:30," I said. "Is that good?"

"All times are good," he said.

:roll:

*"Never forget" in the kind of way one "never forgets" being in labour or hitting the wall 25 miles into a marathon.
kateweber.com
Claire

Post by Claire »

katew wrote: ...

*"Never forget" in the kind of way one "never forgets" being in labour or hitting the wall 25 miles into a marathon.
Hey, she's talking about some other sport here... That's a totally inappropriate comparison, Kate. Running. And cycling are not to be mentioned in the same sentence. Unless of course you want to be mistaken for a triathlete (i.e. someone not committed enough to one sport to do their best at it, instead insisting on ruining any chances at a social life or ever feeling recovered by frantically training just enough to do three things half-assedly) or worse yet, a duathlete (someone who aspires to be unfocussed enough to try a triathlon but couldn't quite get the training together to work in the handful of swim workouts that most triathletes manage in order to achieve an acceptable probability of not drowning).

I'm not sure what this "miles" business is above, either, but I'll leave that for another day. I do appreciate that you may have once been committed enough to the bike to push yourself to barf, though. Unless that was just poor dietary planning...
Last edited by Claire on Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

OMG: runners v. cyclists, dissing tri- and duathletes, new Kate v. old Kate...

<grabs popcorn>
katew

Post by katew »

ClaireM wrote:... mistaken for a triathlete
Guilty as charged, while noting that I grew to understand the folly of my behaviour.

(I backed into cycling as my running career, cut short by repeated injuries, migrated to tri. That's where I discovered how much fun I have on the bike and became one of the most disruptive influences to have hit TSC until you came along). (Whatever they tell you, the Solstice Century is NOT my fault).

In truth, nobody would mistake me for a tri-, or any other sort of athlete these days, as I have become fat, lazy, and happy here in this place where I must bear the tribulations of Real Winter in exchange for the delights of life with my bound-by-tenure-to-this-University husband.

I really miss you lot, though. Which is why I keep lurking and listening to my friends chatter from away over here where they still have a pitiful health-care system, insane politics, and archaic measurement systems.
kateweber.com
Claire

Post by Claire »

katew wrote:
In truth, nobody would mistake me for a tri-, or any other sort of athlete these days, as I have become fat, lazy, and happy here in this place...
Geez, you're not just old Kate, you're new Sylvan.

Glad the change of scenery is on balance a positive move - absence of witty riding buddies notwithstanding.

Sympathies to you for having to endure the Land of Drumpf. Harumph!
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Well, those hoped-for fireworks ended with a damp squib! Stop playing so nice. :twisted:

This made me chuckle. :lol:
ClaireM wrote: Geez, you're not just old Kate, you're new Sylvan.
katew

Post by katew »

ClaireM wrote:
katew wrote:
...as I have become fat, lazy, and happy here in this place...
Geez, you're not just old Kate, you're new Sylvan.
Since when is Sylvan HAPPY?! Jeez, you leave a place for just a couple of years and it goes to hell in a handbasket grumble grumble grumble...
kateweber.com
EricS

Post by EricS »

Sylvan has been much happier since his East German coach died, and he found out that it is ok to eat on rides of less than 200km.
Eric Simonson
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

Dieter is not dead [emoji36]

And eating will never be a substitute for training.