Cornering like a pro

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

sherritran

Cornering like a pro

Post by sherritran »

I want to know the secret of zipping through corners. Fast and fearlessly through in a pack.

Effective cornering in an aggressive pack where you preserve speed and save precious energy has been the bane of my racing, so I've decided it's time to finally nip this problem in the bud.

I will be forever grateful to anyone out there with better handling skills than myself who will be willing to work with me on this. This means I buy coffee or more! I was thinking an hr or two in the evenings 6-8 pm, going for a ride, doing some drills and hitting up corners - whatever you think will work.

I get this Wednesday off as well as Sat so can meet then. Also free after 530 pm on other weekdays.

Thanks!
sherritran

Re: Cornering like a pro

Post by sherritran »

Met up with Dave M (of IRC) and got to work riding a short circuit over and over cornering at Lam Circle by UVic. It was great practice to ride on his wheel and trace the safest and fastest lines. For me, this was never intuitive and definitely takes practice.

Lesson from today:
I think it's totally worth it to spend the time riding with those more skilled than myself and work on staying on a wheel and getting comfortable taking the proper lines.

If anyone is up for doing any rides focusing on skills or adding some time after a dedicated workout, let me know (I'm in town til the end of April). Cornering alone and in a pair is one thing, doing it fast and in a tight group would be another and I think that would be Lesson #2.

Thanks Dave!
S