The stuff of riding fantasies

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

sherritran

The stuff of riding fantasies

Post by sherritran »

I have some time off in the last week of May and June so what else am I going to do other than ride ride, ride and then ride some more? My original plan was to head to the Alps (again) and gain some serious altitude and do the local Stages and Sportifs. Given that it's early summer, it may not be weather permitting to hit the Alps, so may have to stay at lower altitudes instead. Anyone have any suggestions of where to go (are the Alps permissible this time of year) and suggestions for the best riding in Europe in June?

Thanks!

P.S.: TSers are of course welcome to join me on this trip! Exact dates are still unknown.
Stéphane Tran

Re: The stuff of riding fantasies

Post by Stéphane Tran »

Hi Sherri. If you are looking for a great place to visit in France, try the Jura in France north of the alps. It is hilly but not mountainous and you ride to your heart's content on low-traffic roads through endless vineyards and farmland and forest. The south of the Jura (the "haut Jura") has some challenging cols if you are into that. There is very little tourism in the Jura, and accommodations tend to be on the rustic side, but there is no lack of natural beauty, spectacular clifftop villages (google Château-Chalon or Baume-les-Messieurs) and cows. There are lots of cows. Saint-Claude or les Rousses would both be good choices for a "home base" in the area.

Check it out: http://www.jura-tourism.com/Jura-experi ... es-of-Jura

Lyon-Saint-Éxupery and Geneva are the closest large airports, and you are only an hour or 2 away from Switzerland and Italy.