It's icy out there, folks

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Claire

It's icy out there, folks

Post by Claire »

Ride safe, if you must get somewhere this morning. No recreational riding until things thaw a bit. Around 10 showed up for this morning's ride but zero did the ride. Hopefully everyone got back home safely. Even Shelbourne was a sheet of ice - I guess the city didn't anticipate the freezing temps as I saw no sign of salty spray on any roads. I'm going to be right ticked if these are the sorts of conditions we'll be seeing during Festive 500 season!
Fozzy

Re: It's icy out there, folks

Post by Fozzy »

It was very icy on Foul Bay too. I turned around and went home. The conditions weren't that much better at 7:30 either. Very slippery!!
roadflasj

Post by roadflasj »

Made it down the hill from my place and promptly tested the durability of my bike and body turning onto the skating rink known as Haultain. Everything fared well except the cycling kit but I guess it's just gear. Glad to hear there were no crashes or anyone was hurt. Weather should be a few crucial degrees warmer over next few days. Everyone take it easy out there.
Kenji Jackson
rich m.

Post by rich m. »

I managed to crash! I now have a very festive coloured hip, and some revealing tights.
Robgrant

Post by Robgrant »

I made it all the way to the window then crashed back to bed. Hoping for an afternoon ride.
Rob
roadflasj

Post by roadflasj »

rich m. wrote:I managed to crash! I now have a very festive coloured hip, and some revealing tights.
Sorry to hear that another rider went down. My blissfull half day off work was filled with reparing torn shoe covers, tights, jacket and jersey. Never mind the freshly ground carbon levers and pedal. Very thankful my shoulder road rash and bruised clavicle is still in one piece though.
Kenji Jackson
John D

Post by John D »

Glad to hear nobody got seriously hurt this morning. Please see the "Some thoughts about riding on frosty mornings" thread for more on this topic.
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

Went out for a run at 730 and was slippin' and slidin' and thinking of you guys. I'm sorry to hear about the crashes!

Now that I have a) 2 functional wheels, and b) family in town to watch kids in the early morning hours, this weather better not persist and ruin my cycling plans! Unless, that is, it plans to snow. In that case, I will forgive Mother Nature.
alan boden

Post by alan boden »

I must have horseshoes up my *ss...'cause I'm usually the first to crash...I kept going after everyone bailed and put on 35 km on our Tuesday route with only a couple of sketchy squiggles. It must be the Christmas lights on the wheels...
Alan Boden