Winter Solstice 100, Sunday Dec 20

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

barton bourassa

Winter Solstice 100, Sunday Dec 20

Post by barton bourassa »

Two things right off the bat. It is 100 K, not 100 Miles! And yes Sunday Dec 20 is not actually the day of the solstice. Actual Solstice is at 8:49 PM on Dec 21. So we are little early! It'll be OK!

The plan is to leave DISCOVERY COFFEE on MENZIES AND MICHIGAN at 7:00 AM. They are open every day at 6:30 AM so there is time for coffee. Cycle over to Beacon Hill along the waterfront and ride 60 laps of the circle. A much easier way to get in 100 K than the LSD folks have been doing these past few week!

Barton.
Barton Bourassa
barton bourassa

Re: Winter Solstice 100, Sunday Dec 20

Reminder!!
Barton Bourassa
Claire

Post by Claire »

There may be a repeat appearance of my pecan shortbread at the finish line. After 100k. Irrespective of weather conditions. Here's to hoping lots of nice tall friends show up! You know who you are... Or at least I do. Thanks to my entirely unfounded-in-reality tallness assessment system.
barton bourassa

IT IS GOING TO BE A BEAUTIFUL MORNING FOR RIDING A BIKE!

See you at Disco on Menzies before 7 AM. We roll out at 7!

Barton.
Barton Bourassa
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

Not meaning to be a scrooge on the WS 100, but will there be a regular Sunday ride?

After being wheel-less for a month, I can finally ride again and not sure I fancy an endless criterium around BHP for my first ride back.

If not, I may join for a few miles or 10, as part of my own ride.

Non-solstice riders, give a shout out.
LouiseF

Post by LouiseF »

The sound of Claire's pecan shortbread is almost reason enough to do it though....
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

I hope to be home before 10, so will likely start early, soon after 6...
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

Hi. Where's coffee after? Cook Moka? Somewheres else? Ok, thanks.
barton bourassa

Great Ride this morning everyone! A really good turn out. At one point we had close to 30 in our 2 up group rolling right along! People coming and going with at least 20 riders finishing up and heading for coffee.

It was good to see everyone working together. Slower riders taking shorter pulls (me!!) and stronger riders doing a great job of keeping the pace going without shattering too many of us! Thanks again to Peter for helping keep us together to the end. And special thanks to Claire for the amazing shortbread cookies!

If you missed this ride keep your calendar open for the Silly Summer Solstice in June. 101 Laps, 100 Miles!

If you have any ideas to mix things up a bit for the next silliness pass them on to any member of your exec. What is working? What is not!? What can we do different?

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Seasons Greetings and just a good old fashion Cheer!!

See you after Christmas.

Barton.
Barton Bourassa
mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

Group sing of Bohemian Rhapsody while riding.

Martin
barton bourassa

OK, we can work with that!!

BB
Barton Bourassa
Claire

Post by Claire »

Thanks for organizing, Barton. That was a hoot today. Couldn't have asked for better conditions on the shortest day of the year (give or take). I think home baking enhances any group ride... Particularly those that could easily become mind-numbing. I may make a regular contribution as long as these silly things keep taking place. And I think Peter offered to supply me a lifetime of coffee if I keep baking.
roadflasj

Post by roadflasj »

ClaireM wrote:Thanks for organizing, Barton. That was a hoot today.
Only Barton could keep everyone enthusiastic through 60 repetitive laps. Thank you to all for a great solstice experience.
Kenji Jackson