Stewart Mountain trail run - Saturday Dec. 12

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

Claire

Stewart Mountain trail run - Saturday Dec. 12

Post by Claire »

I just wanted to let people know that I'm involved in putting on a trail race this Saturday at Thetis Lake. There are two distances - 10 miles and 5 miles (yes, miles! runners are weird) and while the routes start at the main Thetis beach, the courses will likely take you on some interesting and challenging terrain that you may not be familiar with. There is full information and last year's map (the course will change only slightly this year) on this website: http://goo.gl/ghZYBx

The races start at noon and online registration is open until Thursday night. As an added incentive, I'll offer a $10 discount to any TS'ers who want to get muddy and run around without carrying their bike. Just email me: stewartmountain@pih.bc.ca and I'll give you a discount code you can use at check-out. TS executive members can have a comp entry. Email as above.

Email me or post here with any questions. And yes, you'll have lots of time to ride (sufferfest or otherwise) and still get to Thetis on time for the run. So, go ahead and do both.

p.s. We can still use more volunteers, too, so if you're feeling charitable...
Fozzy

Re: Stewart Mountain trail run - Saturday Dec. 12

Post by Fozzy »

No!!!
John D

Post by John D »

Running is for people who don't have bikes. Personally, I only run when I'm being chased. Even then I usually just drop to the ground and play possum after about 100m.
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

+1 ... metre
Claire

Post by Claire »

I suspect that behind your unkind words lurk old, grumpy men who are bitter that their bodies no longer allow them to bear their own bulk on two legs the way we were designed. That's fine. Enjoy moving through the world on your mechanically-assisted contraptions. The young and spry will continue to enjoy the opportunity to exercise in varied ways without being limited to a single mode of locomotion.
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

"I suspect that behind your unkind words lurk old, grumpy men"

I resemble that remark!!
barton bourassa

Post by barton bourassa »

Well, this old man is going to get on his bike and ride to Thetis and then run/walk/crawl the 5.5 mile route. I have registered! Thanks Claire!

Any other crazy old men or women out there up for this? I'll be wearing my baby blue cycling jersey, just because!

Barton.
Barton Bourassa
Robgrant

Post by Robgrant »

Sorry Barton/ Claire- I'm away this weekend for hockey, otherwise I wouldn't have an excuse.
Rob
conway

Post by conway »

This grumpy old man, some 55 years ago enjoyed trail running - see xmas photograph. If, only you had given me more than a weeks notice of the event - another good excuse!!!!

Mark
Krostini

Post by Krostini »

(Speaking of that Christmas photo Mark, I have have your prize bag from the Hall with that photo inside it along with the argyle bow tie :) )

Kris
L2R

Post by L2R »

If I was in town at the moment I would definitely have run this. It is an epic race!
barton bourassa

Post by barton bourassa »

IT WAS EPIC!!! I ran the shorter version, 5.5 miles. And I did run! My quads are going to be so sore tomorrow with all the down hill. Oh yeah, and the uphill that usually preceded the downhill! Good times!

Thanks Claire!
Barton Bourassa
Claire

Post by Claire »

Well done, Barton! I'm glad you came out and experienced some gnarly trail conditions. I don't think that course has ever been wetter. I was pleased to see the bike racks so full - seems a few others also had the good sense to bike to a running event.

And (apologies for the lateness of the results), I believe you placed 5th in your age category so I have a shiny ribbon for you :)

The event went well from my end - no one got lost, we had lots of positive feedback on the course (people like to run through crotch-deep water, I guess!), our numbers were up from last year, and only two (minor) injuries reported.

Thanks for playing along!