Alternative to Hurricane, July 1

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

barton bourassa

Alternative to Hurricane, July 1

Post by barton bourassa »

My last long and hilly ride before the Penticton Fondo.

Leaving Mayfair Starbucks (Douglas at Alpha) at 6:30 AM Sharp! The usual drill. Easy out and up and over the Malahat trying to keep a nice steady pace all the way thru. Bring lots of fluid and nutrition. We will try to do this with just one stop, likely Shawnigan Lake, to refuel.

The route:

https://www.strava.com/routes/2284038

BB
Barton Bourassa
barton bourassa

Re: Alternative to Hurricane, July 1

Post by barton bourassa »

Well, that is it. After 6 months of riding ever longer distances and ever more elevation gain, Doug and I are 11 days away from the main event, the Penticton Gran Fondo. Here is what training looks like for me for such a thing:

TT Distance since early January, 7,200 KM
# of 100 Mile rides, 10
TT Elevation gain, 75,979 M (8.6 X Mt. Everest)
And my favourite, TT # of pedal strokes, 122,490!

It has been a lot of fun. I feel really strong mentally and physically and like I have reached a peak. My dear wife is really glad it is done! Some Saturdays I get home after 1 PM and she wonders where the heck I have been! I always have my strava to show where, and when!

Thanks to Peter L for the plan and advice along the way. And to Rob H (Good to Go) and Barb B (BB Physio) for straightening out my body and keeping me on the road.

Penticton will be a blast! Looking forward to the distance, the climbing, the pack riding and the heat! Doug and I should do great!!

BB
Barton Bourassa
John D

Post by John D »

Barton and Doug - best of luck wth the Fondo! Your dedication to your training regimen has been both inspiring and frightening.

Cheers,
John
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
steve w

Post by steve w »

Hey Barton and Doug
In case I don't see you guys before your race, good luck.
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Great training regime! Very impressive. All the best to you and Doug on the Fondo.