HC Mount Doug

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

bill

HC Mount Doug

Post by bill »

Just curious on what time it starts, and if anyone is meeting up before for a little warm up?

Cheers Bill
Dave Spiers

Re: HC Mount Doug

Post by Dave Spiers »

I think the hill climb is at 10:00. Plan is to meet at Starbucks (Fairfield) at 9:00 and head out to watch John T smash the record.
# 9
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

Great. No pressure! See you at 9 am.

JT
mlawless

Post by mlawless »

Where are we meeting after the race and what time?
Roland

Post by Roland »

Peter got a point.... noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

Not a real race report, but just a few observations from the Sunday Hill Climb. It was a fine morning - warm and sunny. We met at 9am at the Fairfield Starbucks. On the way to Mt. Doug we tried, but failed to talk Lisa into racing. KimPossible, on the other hand, didn't need much arm twisting. Joe, I don't see your name in the results list but there are photos - what gives? The road hasn't been repaved, contrary to rumors, but there are some new asphalt sections. There's a "1/2 way" marker chaulked onto the pavement that couldn't be futher from the truth, at least as far as effort is concerned. The climb gets a heck of a lot worse right after that point. "Racing" (it's really a time trial with bikes leaving at 1 min intervals) started just after 10:30 am. Peter went first, followed by Bill E. (debuting the new full-carbon pelvis and hip). The rest of us (Kin and I) had downstream positions among the list of 18 racers that attended. Dave S., you were there too weren't you? - I didn't go for coffee afterward, so I don't have all the info -
Anyway, Peter and Bill scored points, an accomplishment for both for different reasons. I went 9 second slower than last year - it seems many people weren't quite as fast as in 2008. Maybe the warm air temp meant less O2 in the air. I was 4th, three second behind Casey and nine seconds back from a tie for 1st place. Kim placed first, beating Megan R., which is something to be proud of. Kudos to Dave Mercer for getting up Mt. Doug in well under 7 min. You read about Dave in my race reports last year - his next really big birthday cake will have 70 candles on it (though he's got a two or three little birthdays between now and then). Peter and Bill were 9th and 10th respectively.

Points? As you might have guessed from Roland's post, Peter's single point moves him to 4th overall in the VCL, one point clear of Roland. My six points move me to 6th overall, only two points behind Roland (with one race to go!). Kim's ability to go down, I mean up, have her in third place having competed in only four events!