winter gym sessions?

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Lister Farrar

winter gym sessions?

Post by Lister Farrar »

The youth program is starting their gym sessions again shortly, (Thursdays 6-7:30) and I thought I'd ask if the adult members might be interested in a session Monday am 6:30-7:30am, as that's a day not taken by a regular ride.

Here's a thread from last winter where Kate describes her experience. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4824

Location would be at St Patrick's School, near the Jubilee hospital.

The program would aim to address core stability, balance, flexibility and strength, as recommended by cycling physio Barb Bialokoz, that is often neglected in bike-only training. Besides fixing aches and protecting from injury, there are definite performance gains to be made. A colourful way Barb describes this is: "You can't fire a cannon from a canoe." :)

I have the gym tentatively booked, and would need to find a trainer, if there is interest. The trainer for the youth program is Nick Patenaude, a certified personal trainer in a number of local gyms. He is not available Monday am, but I should be able to find someone similar if there is interest.

Cost for gym and a certified trainer would be $80-100+ for 16 weeks (until March break), $5-10 per session depending on the number of people who can commit.

Please post if you're interested.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Paula

Re: winter gym sessions?

Post by Paula »

I'm interested in doing some core!! yikes, another early morning.
Other options?
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

I think I booked early Monday am because someone said that's the only time Tsrs could reliably attend. And our internal clocks already wake us up at 5:15. :)

But that said, I could ask about another evening. Typically 6 is the earliest because student after-school sport has the gym until then. Any others? I need to decide soon or they'll want rental to hold the gym while we decide.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Oops. I forgot the essential element; the coffee plan. Starbucks is a block away from the gym and we'll fit right in with the occasional Eric Martin client there.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
bbphysio

Post by bbphysio »

Great opportunity to get those beach abs and butts of steel. Who can plank for a minute? Side plank too? If your gluteus mediums isn't stabilizing your pelvis-hip-knee, you're losing watts every pedal stroke. That means getting dropped! No excuse, sign up and get your cannons sorted, so to speak.
Hugs, your concerned physio, BB
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

If the session is in the evening, I am interested.

Marcus
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Just heard from st pats. They have a slot open Monday 7-8:00 or 8:30. You might want to not pay your leadout train Tuesday am, but it would still work to do every TS ride. :)

Coffee plan: espresso ale at the Penny Farthing?
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
robhasegawa

Post by robhasegawa »

Sounds like a bad idea. Why not wait until something is broken until you fix it?
Spend the extra time servicing and maintaining your bike. It is ALL ABOUT THE BIKE!

Never mind your body. It can wait.
:roll:
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

An article on off season training. Thanks to Rob Hasegawa for the link.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/11/ ... end_353358
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

The suggested time works for me. Bike maintenance can wait.

Marcus
katew

Post by katew »

robhasegawa wrote:Sounds like a bad idea. Why not wait until something is broken until you fix it?
Spend the extra time servicing and maintaining your bike. It is ALL ABOUT THE BIKE!

Never mind your body. It can wait.
:roll:

Hee.
kateweber.com
Paula

Post by Paula »

How about Thursday evenings at 8.

I know some strong women who are just getting off a ride then and could use some good work for their core to help their backs.

Paula
sherritran

Post by sherritran »

My vote would be for Monday or Tuesday morning....or how about early Sunday morning or Sunday afternoon before or after the TS ride?
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Hi Sherri.
Thanks for posting, Marcus and Paula too. We have one person interested for each of three different times, one of which we don't even have access to. So it doesn't look like it's going to work out, unless any of you want to pay the full gym rental and trainer yourself. ;).

I'll give it one more week, then let St Pats know we won't be using the gym. And let Barb and Rob know their rehab client stream will be as strong as ever.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

We had the first youth gym session last night and am feeling all the places that didn't get a proper workout on the bike. Butt, shoulders, chest, abs. Pretty humbling how much worse I am at the exercises than the end of last winter's gym program. Gotta look into summer maintenance sessions.

Even with my time off the bike last winter with a sciatic issue, the gym sessions last winter not only helped that, but gave me power, even without good endurance, on TS rides. It was weird being a bit breathless (worse than usual) in the steady state part of rides, but better than usual on the climbs and sprints. More proof you get better at what you train.

Gotta give St Pats an answer on Monday nights at 7. Are you gonna watch the u15's dust you on Ash and the Beacon sprints, VCL and COTR next year, or get busy with a good foundation? :)

If we get 15 people for 15 weeks, its only $50 for 15 sessions. $ 3.33 a session. Less than a latte a workout.

Deadline is Sunday at midnight. Thanks. Post if you want the Monday am at 6:30 or the Monday at 7:00 pm

L

PS Feel like it might be exercises you can't do? The instructors offer versions of each, so you can scale it up or down for your fitness level. And the duration. Last night was 30s on, 30s off, 6 exercises times four sets. But three speedskaters competing on the weekend just did 15 seconds. And the kids did jumping split squats, but I just did grounded ones.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Paula

Post by Paula »

I'm in for Monday morning at 6:30. That's sleeping in! If we get fewer tha. 15, maybe folks are willing to pay the price of a pumpkin spice latte ($5 -$8)? That would still be a deal!
amyeee

Post by amyeee »

I'm in, if we can get enough interest. Monday morning or evening is fine for me. (Although the evening, when I could have a beer after slightly more legitimately is a preference.)

Amy
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

I'm in either time is okay. Nancy is a probable.

Marcus
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

amyeee wrote:I'm in, if we can get enough interest. Monday morning or evening is fine for me. (Although the evening, when I could have a beer after slightly more legitimately is a preference.)

Amy
I like your attitude. And this means that beer after is only slightly less legitimate in the morning. :)
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Paula

Post by Paula »

Would 6:15 am Monday morning work? It would help the timing at home to get child to school and get working. Thanks