Fender Recommendations?

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

waverider

Fender Recommendations?

Post by waverider »

Well, I was really hoping to find a cheap winter bike and keep my other bike for summer only, but it's not to be. And all of this rain lately is really limiting my riding time, so I'm thinking of finally investing in fenders. Any recommendations? Do the various brands all generally perform as good as each other or are there better versions I should consider? My bike is last year's model Cervelo R3 and I don't see any attachment points and also limited clearance.
Geoff
AJ Neale

Re: Fender Recommendations?

Post by AJ Neale »

Hi Waverider,

I'd recommend the SKS Raceblade Long mudguards .... I think you'll see a few Tripleshot bikes outfitted with them. They're quite sturdy and provide good clearance; the best part is they are attached via clips to small brackets mounted on the brake caliper bolts so you can quickly take them off on dry days. Not sure if they'll fit on your Cervelo but I'd be surprised if they didn't. My 2 bits.

Andrew
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

I have the race blade long fenders for my Venge. The rear is fine, but check the front for fit as they can rub against the bottom of the down tube.
katew

Post by katew »

I love the Raceblade Longs (the metal bits stay on my bike year round, the fenders snap on and off as I please) with these caveats:
  • Like all fenders, they really do much better with a set of Tripleshot reflective mud flaps attached;
  • I never could get the bit that is supposed to go between the brake and the seatpost to sit nicely without rattling or rubbing and just discarded it after a season; and
  • After three seasons, the metal part that attaches to the rear brake-bolt fatigued and broke. I was able to jury-rig a replacement, but I don't want to pretend that the fenders are flawless.
kateweber.com
waverider

Post by waverider »

Thanks all, sounds like consensus on the Race Blades. Is there a shop in Victoria that stocks them or do you have to order online? I don't mind taking the chance on ordering and sounds like if they didn't work out it probably wouldn't be too hard to part with them on here.
Geoff
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

I know that Russ Hays and Broad Street Bikes have them.
waverider

Post by waverider »

Thanks. I called almost every bike shop I could find in Victoria and although most of the good shops carry them, everyone is sold out. Broad Street went above and beyond (thanks!) and called their distributor for more info and then called me back. They were told:

- Current SKS Raceblade Long model is discontinued
- New and improved raceblade long model was due out ~December, however, feedback was negative on the revised model and SKS has now pulled those too.
- No ETA when a new model will be available

I'm going to search online and see if I can find them. I did a little of that yesterday and found the few links I clicked were also sold out.
Geoff
waverider

Post by waverider »

Update - found a silver set at North Park. Last they had of either colour. Fortunately I have a silver bike so I'll even be styling too! Thanks everyone.
Geoff