Sunday, Again!

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

barton bourassa

Sunday, Again!

Post by barton bourassa »

Leaving at 6 AM Sharp! from Cook St Starbucks. Heading up Cook etc to Royal Oak, Left to W Saanich then across the top of Elk Lake meeting up with the regular Sunday folk near the golf course on Beach.

Also hoping to put in a few extra K after Interurban and Wilkinson.

Barton.
Barton Bourassa
roadflasj

Re: Sunday, Again!

Post by roadflasj »

Hi Barton - If I can get my new fender setup going I'd be glad to ride again. Hopefully I don't have to catch you passing at the last moment and can at least enjoy a quick coffee beforehand.
Kenji Jackson
waverider

Post by waverider »

Do you think fenders will be required for tomorrow's Sunday ride? I haven't installed any yet. Looks like sun and clouds for today and tomorrow. Perhaps it will be dry enough?
Geoff
Plawless

Post by Plawless »

good news: you now have a great Saturday project - installing your fenders. Whew, crisis averted :)

At this time of year fenders are pretty much always a good idea. if you don't have fenders I think the only way its ok to come on a group ride is if you commit to NEVER being in front of someone else.. so when that split happens you don't get to go with it you just have to sit at the back grumbling about the choice you made......

Peter
waverider

Post by waverider »

Great, thanks Peter. That's the type of candid advice I was looking for. I'll go out solo instead tomorrow until I get a chance to pick up and install some fenders. Still new at all of this...

Geoff
Geoff
Plawless

Post by Plawless »

Don't misunderstand me. If the roads are actually dry it's fine to come out on summer bikes. Its one of the great things about Victoria. It's more a matter of ensuring that if it's questionable I think too often people choose badly.... So to me anything other than bone dry plus a good weather report from Oct-Apr = fenders.

Peter
barton bourassa

Post by barton bourassa »

One solution I have on questionable days on my summer bike is clip on fenders. 20 seconds to install if you think the roads might be wet or maybe rain later. One thing though, all the ones you buy will need modification to ensure they are deep enough to prevent splashing the rider behind you!

Now, the get back to the garden and my lovely crop of fall weeds!

BB
Barton Bourassa
roadflasj

Post by roadflasj »

Also using the clip on style fenders with extensions. My project is a full wrap style for the truly wet days. Rechecked the weather and it looks clear but some roads are susceptible to condensation or fog accumulating moisture on the roadway. Not really a big deal but as Peter mentioned it really comes down to group courtesey.
Kenji Jackson
waverider

Post by waverider »

Plawless wrote:Don't misunderstand me. If the roads are actually dry it's fine to come out on summer bikes. Its one of the great things about Victoria. It's more a matter of ensuring that if it's questionable I think too often people choose badly.... So to me anything other than bone dry plus a good weather report from Oct-Apr = fenders.

Peter
It's all good...found a friend to ride with tomorrow morning. I'm still in the new bike / don't want to get it gunked up in the wet / wish I had more cash for a winter bike..mode. It's like the new car first scratch thing! So have been waiting on the fenders looking for a winter bike deal first.

Tomorrow may end up being a bone dry morning...but I'd rather be courteous to others than discourteous. I do miss the group rides though!

Should be a good riding day tomorrow!
Geoff