Today's Sunday ride crash

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

John D

Today's Sunday ride crash

Post by John D »

Hi all;

Just wanted to provide a quick update on Julie. Having recently spoken to both John Goluza and Rooks, it sounds like Julie is basically OK. However, given that she thumped her head pretty good they will keep her overnight at VGH for observation. Beyond that, she needed some stitches for a couple of facial lacerations.

Thanks to everyone who helped out today. Special shout-outs to Rooks, Craig, Peter, Dave D, Stephan, Paula, and the OBB guy on the Focus (sorry, I'm crap with names).

John
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
JohnT

Re: Today's Sunday ride crash

Post by JohnT »

Great news. You scared the hell out of me Julie. Battle scars for you and your dog! An inside joke that involves animals that are as competitive as their owners.

JohnT
Last edited by JohnT on Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter M

Post by Peter M »

Thanks for the update. That is good news. That was a scary crash and I am relieved that Julie will be ok and with a good tale to tell.

Peter M
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Sorry to hear that there was another crash. Wishing you a speedy recovery Julie!!!!
AJ Neale

Post by AJ Neale »

So glad to hear that you will be fine Julie ... hope you have a quick recovery and are back on the bike soon!

Thanks Jon for the news and for your work at the scene as well.

Andrew
stevierooks

Post by stevierooks »

Im so sorry that the road came up and hit you like that Julie. You didnt seem to remember much from those moments but I want you to know that it was not your fault. And know that everyone cares about you and your recovery.
Thanks John D for being a great Club President and following up on the road condition out there through the proper channels. You kept in touch with everyone involved and made sure Julies' bike was looked after. Good on you sir!

Did anyone find my Gloves? They are black.

Rooks
Lund

Post by Lund »

And by "not your fault," this is what Rooks is talking about. Total irresponsibility on the part of the road crew that left this behind with no signage warning of hazardous road conditions ahead.
Attachments
IMG_0790.jpg
IMG_0793.jpg
IMG_0791.jpg
jj12

Post by jj12 »

Just visited julie she wanted to let everyone know that she is ever so grateful for everyone's help. She is in good spirits:). Anyone with more info on the crash please call me john g 250 2165307. Be safe out there.
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

I am relieved to hear that Julie is OK. It was a frightening, surreal sight to see a rider unconscious in the road like that. On the plus side, I think the response from the group was excellent from the get-go and everyone handled a bad situation calmly, quickly and smoothly. Chapeau! There is no other club I would rather crash with than Tripleshot, I know I will be well taken care of!

P.S. JohnD, the guy with the Focus is Marc Doucette.
Last edited by Stéphane Tran on Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paula

Post by Paula »

I saw Julie tonight at the VGH. She is a trooper; maintaining a sense of humour and being positive. She has taken quite a knock to her head and has some internal bleeding so they wanted to keep her in to monitor her. Her right side is pretty beat up with bruises and road rash. And she has some nice stitch work on her face and hand. She might be out of the hospital tomorrow, but they weren't sure.

I told her lots of tripleshoters were asking how she was doing and she thanks you all for the support.
Kevin F

Post by Kevin F »

Sent you a pm John
Julie

Post by Julie »

Thanks for all your kind words. I don't remember if I said anything at the crash so thank you for taking care of me and calling an ambulance.
What a GREAT club. Also I'm not scared to get on the bike because the trauma of the fall I don't remember or ambulance or hospital. There's a bag next to my bed with my cycling jacket and bra cut off. When did that happen?
Thanks again I have no WIFI, but I just wanted to express my gratitude myself
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Julie: I'm so very sorry to hear about your crash.

Please know there are cyclists all around Victoria carrying you in our thoughts and willing your speedy and full recovery.
Paul C.

Post by Paul C. »

Julie...Good to hear you are in the process of healing. You will be back riding and triathlon training.

regards. Paul C.