Winter Bike Advice

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

Peter M

Winter Bike Advice

Post by Peter M »

With the rainy season almost upon us, I am in the market for a winter/rain bike. So what are your thoughts on?

1. What constitutes a good winter bike?
2. All carbon or combo?
3. Group level? 105? Ultegra?
4. Cost?

Thanks - Peter M
Fozzy

Re: Winter Bike Advice

Post by Fozzy »

Hi Peter
My criteria for my winter bike was that it had to:
Be tough enough to withstand the winter;
Have the ability to fit fenders on it relatively easily;
Have more of a relaxed geometry for better stability in poor conditions;
Be reasonably priced, and most importantly;
Be a fun bike to ride.

Ended up getting a great deal on a used cyclo-cross bike.
wonger

Post by wonger »

Hey Peter,

Cross bikes seem to be a very popular choice as a winter bike. The additional clearance makes fender mounting a much easier task. I bought one on the weekend - last year's model - with disk brakes and 105 components for less than $1500, so they can be pretty affordable too.

Disc brakes are a huge bonus, especially in the winter. They will actually bring you to a stop, unlike canti's. No messing with brake pads, so adjusting, just ride them.

As usual, it depends on how much you want to spend. There are good used options around if you have some patience. Good luck!
waverider

Post by waverider »

I'm in the same boat looking for winter bike ideas. However, hoping to keep costs quite low...around the $500 mark. Not sure if I can find anything at that price point though. :oops:
Geoff
trevor

Post by trevor »

This would make an excellent winter rig. Make him an offer. It's been sitting for a while.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5060
roadflasj

Post by roadflasj »

These are very basic but almost on budget, http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified- ... E_22808624.
Kenji Jackson
waverider

Post by waverider »

Thanks for the tips and suggestions. I very much like this one as an option I can share with my wife and then also use as a winter bike (she'll only ride in the summer): viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5266

Just not quite in the price range yet for a second bike. My wife almost shot me for what I paid on the first one! :lol:
Geoff
norman marcy

Post by norman marcy »

Th evoke around my house is that my wife realized a long time ago that bikes are way cheeper that other recreational substances

think about it ,,,, do the math the bike is a cheep recreational substance and you will be healthy at the end of the week.
Dave Spiers

Post by Dave Spiers »

If you are still looking but can wait until Oct 4th. Trek Pro City is having their annual yard sale. You will need to be there early as the good stuff is usually snapped up. Not just the shop selling their stuff, there are private sellers also.
# 9
Peter M

Post by Peter M »

I used to think that cycling was expensive but as others point out, other recreational vices are more expensive. Just take my wife's horse for example...

Peter M
agoraphobic cyclist

Post by agoraphobic cyclist »

Peter M wrote:I used to think that cycling was expensive but as others point out, other recreational vices are more expensive. Just take my wife's horse for example...
Equestrian isn't even fair to compare. Horse comes down with colic, and there goes the money for a holiday...

Gym/swimming pool - anything that's a monthly fee, in three years is roughly $1,800 (assuming 50/month - 600/annum). Families can get discounts/bundles, but over enough time...

Another thing to consider is the ability to ride largely year 'round, so you can really maximize the cost effectiveness. Unlike say, living in the prairies...

Someone was telling me that cycling was the new golf, that retirees were moving towards cycling. Has anyone seen stuff to support that?

EDIT: Wanted to add that a cross bike makes the ideal winter bike - wide tires, discs if you want, space for fenders...