Real estate depreciation/ neighbourhood annoyance

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

verdevista

Real estate depreciation/ neighbourhood annoyance

Post by verdevista »

Looking for some real estate not on Club morning circuits especially Tuesday. From the loud banter heard behind closed windows, it is is evident that this is a social ride but not respectful of the neighbours. As cyclists, we are continually explaining to our neighbours that we are not part of this disruptive group. Ride etiquette involves signaling not shouting . Some discussion and your co-operation is required before each ride. Merci les coureurs.
barton bourassa

Re: Real estate depreciation/ neighbourhood annoyance

Post by barton bourassa »

Good Morning Verdevista. I am Barton. What is your name? And what street do you live on and what is the nearest cross road? It would be nice to know where we are making enough noise to case a disturbance.

Thanks,

Barton.
Barton Bourassa
verdevista

Post by verdevista »

I was born at night but not last night. Please monitor your group behaviour. It needs to be respectful of the entire ride not just my block. A la prochaine.
roadflasj

Post by roadflasj »

What Barton is getting at is if we know the approximate time/location a particular riding group (within the club) can be identified and a more focused and proactive redirection of behaviour can be achieved.
Kenji Jackson
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

I think we can do better. Sorry about that Verdevista (and Verdevista neighbours). Perhaps you could write back in a couple of weeks to tell us if you've noticed a difference.

JT
verdevista

Post by verdevista »

Thank you !
stevierooks

Post by stevierooks »

Empathy was not my gut reaction to this noise complaint from the homeowner Verdevista. But then I thought it through a bit. With 3 groups of riders doing 4 laps of the box, that's 12 passes of these peoples homes between the hours of 6+7 am. Not the end of the real estate market in that hood, but not something for us to sneer at either (that was my gut reaction:)

I think John is right when he says we can do better. Our "ride etiquette" does involve some shouting though when we see deer, cars or other hazards. I know that this group will do whatever we can to get along with our neighbors, and these fellow cyclists. Thank you for the feedback Verdevista.

Rooks
Robgrant

Post by Robgrant »

On the Tuesday ride, I can think of a few places where we might regularly be loud:
Landsdowne & Uplands ("clear")
Cedar Hill Cross / Cadboro Bay / Upper Terrace ("Clear, steady up, rolling")
Landsdowne and Cadboro Bay ("clear")
Top of KGT (general chatter "how many laps of Beacon Hill- thanks for the ride")

Verdevista is complaining about Tuesday specifically, so that rules out KGT.

Other than those specific locations, any loudness would be random in response to dangerous road conditions ("car back, deer, car up, etc").

I have a friend who lives at the Cedar Hill cross/ Caddy Bay and asked him if he ever hears us and he said no. That doesn't mean he couldn't, it may mean that he isn't up that early.

VerdeVista, I believe Barton's question about where was meant to concentrate our quietness effort. Having a specific location will tend to focus the group. Your help to pinpoint the problem will be appreciated.
Rob