Garmin newbie seeks Garmin guru

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

Lund

Garmin newbie seeks Garmin guru

Post by Lund »

Finally knuckled under and got myself a Garmin Edge 800 so I can be one of the cool kids.

I figured out how to turn it on and actually mapped my first ride. Now I'm eager to find out what else it can do but reading the manual seems like a big bother. I'm kinda lazy that way.

Any of you Garmin/Strava pros out there willing to spend an hour with me and my new gadget over a coffee?

What's in it for you? Well, apart from a stellar opportunity to showcase your GSP prowess:
• all the coffee and baked good you can pack away during our session
• my undying affection and eternal gratitude
• three future sprint lead-outs or one mid-winter flat tire change
waverider

Re: Garmin newbie seeks Garmin guru

Post by waverider »

Hey, if you don't get any better offers I'd be happy to share what little I know. Some caveats though (and why you might want to wait for something better!):

- I'm new to the club and road cycling in general. Really enjoying the Sunday rides.
- I don't actually own an 800 and in fact, couldn't even point one out if asked!! :lol: I've been using a Garmin forerunner 410 watch for the past 3 years, primarily for running and recently quite a bit for cycling. I think it does most of the same functions as the 800 although yours will have more mapping capabilities and a better altimeter. Both use Garmin Connect as its web application.
- I wouldn't be able to meet for another week to 10 days due to a bunch of commitments. Possibly after this Sunday's ride if I manage to make it (50/50 chance or less right now).
- I haven't really used Strava other than to test it out once or twice on my phone. Seems similar to Garmin Connect although perhaps has a better following and more segments or segment chasers (?).

Hopefully you'll get some better offers than mine, but if not and you're desperate, I'd be happy to help out.
Geoff
Lund

Post by Lund »

Thanks for the kind offer. Let's connect after you get through your 10 days of chaos and I'll let you know if you get the job or if a more qualified guru stepped forward and made a grab for the pastries.
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

Got any time Sunday afternoon?

Do you have the Garmin memory card loaded with maps in your unit? If not, it's easy to download free maps off the interwebs and stick them on your own little micro SD card. I'll dig up the site...
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

Here it is: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

You can customize your map any way you want. Imagine any place you could go riding and add that map area to your map request. The system goes away and builds your map, then emails you a download link. Copy it to your Garmin and you're good to go. Pretty sweet action right there.
Lund

Post by Lund »

Sounds great, Sylvan. What time works for you? And where? Whatever's easiest for you...

I'm told I have a "data card preloaded with City Navigator® for US, Canada and Puerto Rico street maps" so should be set for now. Though I'll be riding in Mexico in early October so should probably have a quick lesson on building and adding maps.

Steve
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

How about 11-ish at Discovery Coffee James Bay?
Lund

Post by Lund »

See you there.