GREAT BIG C

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

norman marcy

GREAT BIG C

Post by norman marcy »

WITH 14 IN THE C GROUP LEAVIG THE LOT TODAY I THINK THAT IS A RECORD.

BY THE TIME ASH ROAD WAS ASSAILED I BELIEVE WE HAD ACQUIRED AND MOUNT OAK BAY BEACH ROLED UNDER OUR WHEELS WE HAD 20 GOING TO KGT.

A LOUD INSTRUCTIONS AND LEARNING ABOUT RIDING IN A BIGGER GROUP TODAY FOR THE Cs.. ALL TO KEEP EVERYONE SAFE. KEEP IT TIGHT, DON'T HANG OUT BESIDE THE MAIN GROUP FOR TOO LONG WHEN THERE IS TRAFFIC, CALL OUT CARS, DEER, AND POINT AT THOSE POT HOLES AND OTHER ROAD SURFACE ISSUES.

HOPE NO NERVES WERE JANGLED NOR FEELINGS OF OPPRESSION PERCEIVED.

THAT WAS THE BEST C RIDE EVER IN MY VIEW. WHAT A GREAT GROUP. AND WE EVEN HAD A COUPLE OF NEW TO THE BUNCH RIDERS TODAY

THANKS ALL

NORMAN

just writing BIG ... not SHOUTING

cheers
Rolf

Re: GREAT BIG C

Post by Rolf »

Norm: it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to learn that your Caps Lock button was broken and permanently depressed (the button, not you!) You have a large—and winsome—personality.

It was a great ride this morning. I'd add that whoever's on the front of a diverse group like that has a responsibility to regularly (and safely) look back to ensure everyone's together, particularly after hills. Though I don't think we actually dropped anyone, there were numerous gaps that lasted up to a kilometre. I'd say this obligation increases with the fitness of said rider, relative to others in the group. (Put another way: if you're stronger than the median rider in a given group, look back more when on the front.)
k kendal

Post by k kendal »

It was a pretty good C ride, except we kind've broke down at beacon hill, with leaders still taking it easy, I thought that is where the drop policy is kind've enforced!
John D

Post by John D »

The C ride is intended to be a no-drop ride...even during laps at Beaon Hill Park.

J.
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Really? Wow, that's news to me. "No-drop" means "no-sprint". And I've never been on a ride that doesn't sprint—even if only a little one.

I always thought it was together to the park and then a free-for-all. I thought sticking with the group for that final 5-10 minutes was the challenge available to novice C riders, to help them improve and prepare for B. The fact it's a repeated circuit makes it easy to skip a few laps, as desired/needed, and still join the ride to coffee.

But if C means "no sprinting!" I shall conform.
katew

Post by katew »

John D wrote:The C ride is intended to be a no-drop ride...even during laps at Beaon Hill Park.

J.
ORLY?

I have been doing it wrong for three years!!! <is ashamed>

I thought all bets were off once we got to the park.

K
kateweber.com
norman marcy

Post by norman marcy »

Ok hard to resist any longer
When you end up with a couple of strong B1 riders joining the c group things get a bit strange at the end
as already discussed the C was an anomaly on Friday Ine of our well know C ride proponents also called for a three lap finish which push some of the folks beyond the limits and made it so sme of us could do nothing els but try harder the point made by Kate and Rolf earlier being the effect

all fun
cheers
barton bourassa

Post by barton bourassa »

It was my understanding that we do our very best to keep the group together down Dallas in as quick a pace line as the slowest of us can handle to Beacon. Then, Go! There have been a few rides with the Cs where it has worked out very nicely that all of us stayed together around Beacon at a very fast pace. Usually we break up at Beacon.

Others thoughts for Beacon and the C ride?

Barton.
Barton Bourassa
John D

Post by John D »

My sense is that if we have an "experienced" group of C-riders, then the "every man/woman for his/her self" works fine when we get to laps at Beacon Hill. If, however, we have newbies in the group who are new to groups rides and/or have just been hanging on through the C-ride, the last thing we want to do is to drop them at Beacon.

J.
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
barton bourassa

Post by barton bourassa »

Good point John. Something to keep in mind, think about and discuss at the top of KG before we fly down Dallas to BH.

Thanks!

Barton.
Barton Bourassa
amyeee

Post by amyeee »

First of all, yes, it was a great, big C ride! Great to ride with so many others. (I ride sporadically on Fridays, usually when it's raining, apparently, and the group is much smaller.)

So yeah, I was dropped at Beacon Hill, and I'm fine with that. It's something to work toward. I love having the challenge at the end. I'll know I'm improving when I can keep up with the group for longer (or really, have any kind of sprint in me).

Amy