The Big Loop Ride - July 20th

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

AJ Neale

Re: The Big Loop Ride - July 20th

Post by AJ Neale »

Please add my name to the list.......I cannot think of anything else I need to do that day. Many thanks to everybody organizing and supporting this ride!

Andrew Neale ( the newish Andrew )

P.S. I ride to Lake Cowichan 1 or 2 times a year and always take the old road from Duncan; it's much quieter and more scenic than the main highway. Is this part of the planned route?
stevierooks

Post by stevierooks »

I have to agree with taking the Old Lake Cowichan Hwy route back to Duncan from Lake Cow. Last year I talked Paul and Mark to ride main Hwy 18 back and it was a bit of a mini disaster. The shoulder is absolute crap - rough, bumpy and full of debris. Not road bike friendly at all. When we tried to ride on the smooth surface at the edge of the lane, cars were passing us at 110kms/hr with their horns blowing at us!
I wont try riding that stretch again until it is re-paved properly on the shoulder.

Rooks
Paul C.

Post by Paul C. »

Hi Time to put me on the list..
This week doing big miles in Vancouver and watching Superweek Pro bike races. pc
John D

Post by John D »

Been out of town for a few days and therefore still trying to catch up on the Forum. Details still to be worked out but, yes - suffice to say that we will NOT be taking the main highway between Cowichan Lake and Duncan.

J.
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
bscriven

Post by bscriven »

Hi there,
I'm a new member as of July 10th and hope to join you on the Big Loop Ride. I live in Colwood and would like to join the peleton when you ride through. Will this work?

Bill Scriven
conway

Post by conway »

Hi Bill:

This will work. I wil forward details of the exact route we will take from Victoria to Sooke with approximate times. You can then decide where to join us.

Great to have you as a new club member and to be joining us on the ride.

Cheers,

Mark
katew

Post by katew »

<waves>

Hi, Bill!!
kateweber.com
jbarrett

Post by jbarrett »

Hey Guys,
I'm going to have to bow out of the ride this weekend. Recovering from a spill on the Axel Merckx Gran Fondo. :roll: I'm still a bit dizzy and tired but OK. Have a great ride!!!
Joe B.
John D

Big Loop Riders as of July 16th

Post by John D »

As of today, I have the following people signed up for Sunday's "Big Loop Ride". If I've missed anybody who has already signed up, or if you are not on this list but intend to join us, please let me know ASAP. Stay tuned for additional updates about the ride, to follow in a separate message.

John D
Barton
Peter M
Kevin F
Kenji
Stevie
Chris B
Martin
Alan C
Andrew N
Mark F
Neil
Mark S
Paul C
Bill S
Renate
Jim W
mlawless

Post by mlawless »

John,

I am thinking about joining this Loopy group - I will let you know pending on the reported change in the weather - I am a bit of a cupcake!

Michael
esilnarson

Post by esilnarson »

Please add me to the list.

Brian
Brian E
roadflasj

Post by roadflasj »

Curious if anyone is riding a winter bike or at least a rear fender with the expected wet weather or just wing it and eat spray for 9 hrs. I'm on the fence but willing to compromise to make the ride more enjoyable for the group. Thoughts?
Kenji Jackson
barton bourassa

Post by barton bourassa »

If it looks like there might be some rain, I'll clip on a fender.
Barton Bourassa
mshepard

Post by mshepard »

I'm riding behind Barton then. Yee of little faith. It has NEVER ever rained on the big loop ride. As for cupcake you are a mountain biker now aren't you? If it rains head for the woods. Looking forward to Sunday current forecast is overcast with no rain down south and east Port Renfrew has a chance of an isolated shower.
John D

Post by John D »

Given the "evolving" weather situation, an official decision as to whether to ride or not will be posted here by noon on Saturday.

Assuming that we do go ahead, if you choose to bring along extra kit, sandwiches, etc. to leave in the Westie or with the motorbikes, please make sure that it's all bagged and tagged.

J.
John D

Post by John D »

Further to my last message - the weather forecast for Sunday is currently a mix of sun and cloud with a 30% chance of rain. The forecast for Duncan doesn't call for any rain at all, so if there is rain it will likely be between Victoria and Renfrew.

As mentioned before, the official decison to go or not go will be posted here by noon tomorrow. If we do go ahead, be sure to pack a rain shell. In the unlikely event that we start the ride but the weather then turns to total crap, our backup plan will be to terminate the ride at either Sooke or Jordan River.

One last reminder, the support vehicles will have basic road food (water, Gatorade, salty snacks, bagels + cream cheese, bananas, oranges, watermelon, coke) plus a big pot of chili. Please bring along whatever sandwiches or other food you might like to have for lunch (likely in Renfrew) and we will carry them in the Westie.

Stay tuned....

J.
Paul C.

Post by Paul C. »

With that much food, support, club-mates( domestiques ) and decent weather ,we better be doing about 270km this Sunday ,
Even though some of us may not be ...."Rando material "
see you early Sunday.pc
Paula

Post by Paula »

I'm in. At least until cowichan at which point my own private support team (Chris and Matteo) will meet me.

Fingers crossed for high cloud, and a very very light breeze.

Paula
Paula

Post by Paula »

Questions:

Does anyone know about cell reception along the route (I'm with Rogers) and in particular around cowichan?

Those who have done it in the past, How about a guessitmate of when I would get to Cowicha?

Suggestions of a good spot to meet up with family in cowichan? Is there a kids park on our route around there?

Thanks
Albee

Post by Albee »

Please count me in...my wife's 50th birthday party Saturday night, but I'm cleared for Sunday, groggy or not...
Alan Boden
Alan Boden