July 1st Hurricane Ridge

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

Stéphane Tran

July 1st Hurricane Ridge

Post by Stéphane Tran »

So one of my favourite rides is coming up: the traditional Canada Day assault on Hurricane Ridge.
For those of you who are unfamiliar with this ride, Hurricane Ridge is an "hors catégorie" climb (and descent!) of about 30kms with an average grade of 5% commencing in Port Angeles WA. http://www.strava.com/segments/623203
There are usually 40+ riders from many clubs who take the trip over on the Coho ferry and it a fun, challenging ride that can veer into "epic" territory depending on the weather. We take the 6:10am ferry to Port Angeles and most people return on the 12:45pm ferry to Victoria. You will need a valid passport to get across the border and $5 US to get into Olympic National Park. Many Tripleshotters have done this ride and can fill you in on the details.
Last edited by Stéphane Tran on Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C.

Re: July 1st Hurricane Ridge

Post by Paul C. »

Re July 1 longer day....

Is anyone , other than me interested in staying down later on July 1, until 3:30 or 5:30??....I am not sure of exact ferry times.

This way we can have a longer lunch then ride east or west for 2 or 3 hours. Then another coffee stop and home. Sig, Barton and I did this last year on one of the Pt. A.---HR trips and it was alot of fun.

cheers, pc
trevor

Post by trevor »

There'll be a Wheelers gang doing this Paul. Look for the black and gold train!
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

Correction: the ferry is at 6:10am, not 6:20am. I recommend getting your ticket ahead of time if possible, as there can be quite a long line-up the morning of. I also recommend travel insurance, as a hospital visit in the US can cost an arm and a leg, figuratively speaking.
mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

I'll be going down to Pt. Townsend on Monday and joining the ride up Hurricane Ridge on Tuesday. I might be up for additional miles after the climb. I'll have a cycling friend visiting from Oregon who will join too.

Martin
MDAWSON

Post by MDAWSON »

Ferry reservation is made!
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I am in. Is the club going to do reservations again or should we do it individually? I am going to do a few spin out miles after the ride but will catch the 12:30 (?) ferry back. Andrew
katew

Post by katew »

The club is booking reservations and providing sag services for the August 17 trip. The July 1 invasion is a general community bit of lunacy.
kateweber.com
esilnarson

Post by esilnarson »

I have booked my ferry. Now I finally get to see what this Hurricane Ridge business is all about :shock:
Brian E
amyeee

Post by amyeee »

Terra and I will be going over too, although very much at our own pace. We're definitely staying for lunch, and second lunch, and getting the 5:20 ferry back.
Quentin

Post by Quentin »

Ferry booked: coming back on the 12:45.
katew

Post by katew »

Am booked to go and looking forward to it.

I'll be going at my own pace, to be sure. Whether I linger or not depends on whether Certain Young People plan on a festive afternoon/evening for Canada Day. I like to make my almost-downtown home available as a safe place with lots of non-alcoholic drinks and snacks for Wayward Yoot who need somewhere to pull themselves together a little.

If, however, Certain Young People will be gainfully employed serving coffee and/or burgers to other Wayward Yoot that evening, I'll be more able to consider staying on in WA for the afternoon.
kateweber.com
BPhelps

Post by BPhelps »

What is a safe time to arrive at the ferry terminal in the morning?
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

5:30am should be pretty safe.
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

Is anyone planning on bringing a vehicle over?
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Remember passports and medical insurance!
Peter M

Post by Peter M »

I am in. This is a first time up the hill for me..!