Saturday May 24

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

barton bourassa

Saturday May 24

Post by barton bourassa »

Did I say 100 for this Saturday? Oops, my mistake! Make that 120. Same route as two weeks back. My own short term goals are 120 this week and 140 the next. I'll be out of town on the 7th of June, sad face!!! June 14 will likely also be 140 with the Silly Solstice 100 (Miles!) on the 21st.

Same notes as before. Probably the most important thing is nutrition on the go and lots of liquid. It is best if we don't have to stop to eat but to be able to do it on the fly so we can keep a nice steady flow to the pace thru out. Not hammering but steady with standing time kept to a minimum. We will stop again at the gas station by the Goose on the way to Burnside/Prospect for liquid and a chocolate bar. Another option is the water fountain and the toilets right on the Goose. Maybe bring enough food and what ever it is you put in your water bottle and we can just stop there.

For those that don't want to do 120, If you turned off at this point and headed into town you would get in +-90K.

Out to Rocky Pt Rd via the Goose, Lagoon, Metchosin Rd, William Head, Lombardi
L on Rocky Pt to E Sooke Rd, Gillespie
R on Sooke Rd
R on Kangaroo
R on Rocky Pt
L on Liberty to Kangaroo
L on Kangaroo R on Lindholm
To Glen Lake Rd via Happy Valley
Straight to Allouette
Langford Lake
R on Langford Pkwy
L on Memorial
Atkins/Burnside
R on Prospect
R on Munn Durrance Willis
L on Wallace
R on Garden Gate (before Benvenuto)
R on Benvenuto
R on W Saanich
Left on Old W Saanich
R on Sparton
Prospect Lk Rd
R on Burnside
Find the Goose and the nearest Coffee Shop.
Barton Bourassa
Robgrant

Re: Saturday May 24

Post by Robgrant »

7AM Disco James Bay?
barton bourassa

Did I forget to mention departure time and location? Disco, James Bay!
Barton Bourassa
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

What's the pace going to be like?
Mark C

Post by Mark C »

Hi Barton
I am in for tomorrow if I don't see you at disco I will meet up with you between their and the end

Cheers Mark
mshepard

Post by mshepard »

Pace? I am putting the slow back into long slow distance and will welcome any help in that regard.
....Mark
barton bourassa

Last time a couple weeks back was close to 26 K/Hr. Doesn't sound like much but with 5 hours of bum time and near 2,000 m of climbing at a fairly strong HR it was pretty intense by the end. I'd say overall a B or B- pace.
Barton Bourassa
gab

Post by gab »

Road rash right on the love handle!
Thanks to everyone on the ride today for stopping and helping me pick myself up this morning. I don't think I took anyone down, but my apologies for any near misses and unnecessary heart palpitations.

At first, I really wanted to keep riding (my first thought was actually "oh no, they are going to make me go home"), but as the ride progressed I began to feel it would probably be best to turn around. I shouted out something to this effect and hope it was communicated.

As for the crash, well, scrapes and bruises and a little embarrassed, but otherwise fine. Was a bit shaken up for awhile but feeling better now. As for the bike, fortunately the frame is titanium and just a few scuffs and scratches on the hoods.

Anyway, it was good to see everyone again, and hope to be back out fairly soon. Got the TT on Friday, so by then for sure.

Best, Gabriel
barton bourassa

I am very glad you are ok Gab. It was a pretty freaky accident; completely unexpected! We were riding peacefully along the Goose and all of a sudden you sliding across the asphalt! It is amazing no one else went down with you!

20 of us started out. We went all around and up and down until we stopped at the bathrooms and water fountain on the Goose near Thetis. We had completed about 80 k and 1400 m of climbing including Neild Road (Thank you Simon!) by then. Many people had to go home to do "errands"!!! Four of us headed off to Prospect and Munn. Simon, Lisa, me and Kengi. Kengi surprised us by going straight onto Prospect rather than turning up Munn! Down to three for Munn and the rest of the ride home. We picked up Fairweather Mike at the bottom of Willis then Simon pulled us home, with feeling!

124 K, 26.4 K/Hr, just over 2000 m of climbing. Great ride folks! Next weekend, 140 K, 2 X around Munn! Sound like fun? You Bet!

Barton.
Barton Bourassa
AJ Neale

Post by AJ Neale »

Thanks all! I sure enjoyed my first Triple Shot ride and it was nice to meet some of you ... I hope I can remember names! Now I know why people have repeatedly said that the Triple Shot Group is a great, friendly group, and a good workout! I'm looking forward to apres coffee the next time out.

Andrew ( one of them )
spearson

Post by spearson »

Selfie at the top of Munn of the 3 that survived to the end of the battle of attrition. Technically no one survived as we democratically decided not to do Prospect. When Barton yells uncle on The Barton, you're allowed to go home.
Attachments
IMG_0471.JPG
barton bourassa

Simon, don't forget that you had the "brilliant" idea to climb up Neild!! I think that took care of Prospect!

Barton.
Barton Bourassa