Three Ferries Ride, Monday, April 7

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

barton bourassa

Three Ferries Ride, Monday, April 7

Post by barton bourassa »

A few of us, John D, Paul C, Mark F and I are planning on completing the Three Ferries Ride on April 7, Weather Permitting! We will leave Disco Coffee on Oak Bay Ave at 7:15 and meander up to Swartz Bay in time for the 9 AM ferry to Salt Spring. From Fulford Harbour we’ll find our way to Ganges via back roads. Mark F says there are some great hills to climb and some great scenery. Brunch in Ganges then off to Vesuvius to catch the 12:15 to Crofton. We will work our way to Mill Bay via Maple Bay and Cowichan Bay for the 3 PM to Brentwood Bay then home by 5. Sound like fun? You bet!!

Caution! This is not a race or even a training ride. This is a ride, just a day on two wheels exploring and having an adventure. When I was younger, maybe 11 or 12, I used to head out the door in the early morning to spend the day exploring on my old bike. My Mum would always holler, “Be home for dinner!” and off I’d go, not to be seen or heard from until I got home in time for dinner. This ride is kind of like that except instead of my Mum hollering at me to be home for dinner, it’s my wife! Makes me feel like a kid again!

So book that Monday off and come on out and explore!

Barton.
Barton Bourassa
Ange

Re: Three Ferries Ride, Monday, April 7

Post by Ange »

Hi Barton,

This sounds like a great way to spend a day!!, I was just wondering what you think the pace will be like?. I have not been on my road bike much this winter so I wouldn't want to hold things up!

Ange
John D

Post by John D »

Ange wrote:I was just wondering what you think the pace will be like?
"...John D, Paul C, Mark F and I..."

I that answers your question. :wink:
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
Paul C.

Post by Paul C. »

I will be there if no rain..better go easy on Sundays.
Do you think there will be anyone under 50 on this ride? You guys over 65 now will pay for ferries so make sure you bring cash.
barton bourassa

ALERT! Change of Departure Location!!

We will leave same time,7:15 AM. From Discovery Coffee on Discovery, between Douglas and Government.

See you Monday April 7.
Barton Bourassa
conway

Post by conway »

I'll be there. Discovery Coffeee where we some time stop after the Sunday ride.

Cheers,

Mark
mshepard

Post by mshepard »

What is this bike riding you speak of? I look forward to meandering with y'all see you at 7:15.
...Mark
mshepard

Post by mshepard »

Fishermen and Roadies occupy the same niche (liars) when it comes to describing their exploits. I should have known better when I read "Caution! This is not a race or even a training ride. This is a ride, just a day on two wheels exploring and having an adventure". I quickly knew I was in for it with the 50 kph paceline to Swartz Bay. Saltspring was as advertised, but once back on the island the terror took hold once again when I heard "I know we can make the 1:55 Mill Bay ferry instead of the 3 PM. OK guys, how about some truth in advertising??

conway

Post by conway »

So you didn't belive us when we said the "Hills are over when we reached Ganges?"

Well done Mark the Younger.
barton bourassa

There is more than just a bit of truth to Mark's comments. I flatted near Matticks on the way up. Four others kept going to the ferry while John D and I quickly changed the tire. We were under a bit of pressure already to make the ferry so JD and I hightailed it north. We caught Mark just past Island View and he caught on with us doing 42 K/Hr down the highway, a "bit" faster than what we had intended for sure! We did all make the ferry with about 10 minutes to spare.

Saltspring was lovely. Lots of climbing thru quiet roads then brunch at Ganges followed by a short ride to Vesuvius, with more hills!

Crofton to Mill Bay was challenging for sure. We hit the top of the hill south of Cowichan Bay and figured it was possible to make the earlier ferry. We rolled into Mill Bay by the shopping center at 1:35, ferry scheduled to leave at 1:55. It was indeed a bit of a rush but we all did make it. Sorry Mark S! That last bit was a push for sure.

Just past the Observatory turn off on W Saanich Rd I flatted again! Then again 30 seconds later! I have a new rule for myself. After the 3rd flat, I take the bus! So after riding 110 K and climbing about 1,400 metres thru great countryside with a great bunch of fellow cyclists (Mark S, Mark C, John D, Paul C, Angela, new to me guy Bill), I rolled on a flat tire for 2 1/2 K to Camosun on Interurban, caught the bus (thanks for the bus fare John!) to Gorge and Tillicum then rolled home from there with a big smile on my face and slightly sun burnt nose! That tire is now in the garbage bin and a new one installed in its place.

Thank you all for the company. It was a blast. We shall do it again! Maybe go all the way up to the north end of Saltspring then down to Vesuvius and maybe into Maple Bay on the way to Cowichan with a real stop in Cowichan! I hear there is a great hill out of Maple Bay!
Barton Bourassa
mshepard

Post by mshepard »

Great day in the saddle and "truthfully" I expected nothing less. Thanks for organizing.