Festive 500

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

John D

Festive 500

Post by John D »

So, anybody else planning on doing Rapha's "Festive 500" this year? The goal is to log 500kms between Dec 24th-31st. The weather forecast looks good until at least the 28th.

To kick things off I'm planning on riding out to Langford and back after Tuesday's regular ride, then doing the waterfront to Mattick's and back along Lochside/Goose- all at a stately B+ pace.

Cheers,
J.
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
Rolf

Re: Festive 500

Post by Rolf »

I'm going to give it a go. But I'm going to try to get mileage before 7:30 every day with some others. Ergo: starting Tuesday, I hope to start at 5:30 before meeting up with any possible TS rides.

If anyone else is into sleep deprivation, let me know and we can set a meet-up.
IanWhit

Post by IanWhit »

I was thinking of giving it a go as well. John - count me in for Tuesday. Rolf - happy to meet up for early miles.
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

John D wrote:So, anybody else planning on doing Rapha's "Festive 500" this year?
Like, duh. 500 km is a pretty soft target and I'm even softer so I'm going for 800.
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

Rolf wrote:If anyone else is into sleep deprivation, let me know and we can set a meet-up.
Pick a spot for the 5:30.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

800 isn't for the soft or hard. It's for the childless. :wink:

Seeya at Pareto at 5:30. (Maybe: down Richmond, KGT, waterfront to Gordon Head and back to the box.)
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

5:30 at pareto - I'll be there :)
Need to get in something like 72km per day for the week.
That doesn't sound so bad when you put it that way... however, you'd need about 115km per day (every day!) for the week to get 800 in...
katew

Post by katew »

This is just about the dumbest thing I've heard go by since someone said, "Hey, did you know there are two solstices?" Especially because I'm finally getting my tri act back together and need to be mindful of Not Blowing Up.

Will be out at 5:30 tomorrow.

:)
kateweber.com
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

There is a running track behind oak bay rec, anyone feel like hitting the track for a few easy km?
John D

A Less-Than-Festive morning (redux)

Post by John D »

I posted the following on Dec 27th, 2012:
My "horror-fest" morning consisted of 25 hard-won kilometres, punctuated by going down hard on a wet bridge on The Goose in Colwood. Seems I flatted just as I hit the bridge deck, which made my rear wheel slide out from under me.
Here's the Dec 27th, 2013 version:

My "horror-fest" morning consisted of 66 hard-won kilometres, punctuated by going down hard while crossing the train tracks on Atkins. I had slowed down - perhaps too much, and hit the track at the wrong angle which made my rear wheel slide out from under me. My shoulder took the brunt of it..nothing broken, but VERY stiff and sore. Thanks for getting me back to town in one piece, Ritchie.

314kms down, 186kms to go.
barton bourassa

Post by barton bourassa »

So much deja vu from last year! John, be careful out there man!

What is the plan for tomorrow? Is there one?
Barton Bourassa
John D

Post by John D »

barton bourassa wrote:What is the plan for tomorrow? Is there one?
Can't speak for anybody else, but given that I'm typing this one-handed I expect the only thing I'll be riding tomorrow is the couch. :(
rhughes

Re: A Less-Than-Festive morning (redux)

Post by rhughes »

John D wrote:I posted the following on Dec 27th, 2012:
My "horror-fest" morning consisted of 25 hard-won kilometres, punctuated by going down hard on a wet bridge on The Goose in Colwood. Seems I flatted just as I hit the bridge deck, which made my rear wheel slide out from under me.
Here's the Dec 27th, 2013 version:

My "horror-fest" morning consisted of 66 hard-won kilometres, punctuated by going down hard while crossing the train tracks on Atkins. I had slowed down - perhaps too much, and hit the track at the wrong angle which made my rear wheel slide out from under me. My shoulder took the brunt of it..nothing broken, but VERY stiff and sore. Thanks for getting me back to town in one piece, Ritchie.

314kms down, 186kms to go.
You know when a parent/coach/friend/wise-one says "OK be careful here because...it's slippery, gravelly, a big hole, there is a hidden driveway, its steep, don't step in the dog poop, or generally someone is going to to lose an eye!!!"...and then they demonstrate for you? It was kind of like that.

And in the nicest way possible (being the compassionate type) as we passed the Victoria General Emergency sign, I said "if you go in there I'm not waiting for you!"

Enjoy the gin, John!

Ritchie
Paul C.

Post by Paul C. »

Festive 500 countdown is on! Who is in?

I know Chris and John D are at about 295?? I am at 291km
How about Alan C., Richie etc. ...where are Sylvan and Peter?

Who will be the first Tripleshoter to break 500km.?

Talk of about 100km, Sunday to Sidney and Lands End ,via Sunday club ride.

Feeling Festive, cheers pc
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

i'm at 309km right now, a good ride tomorrow would suit me great, but the icy morning this morning makes me somewhat hesitant, I don't feel like a repeat of that :)
So, what time tomorrow - 100km would be nice (assuming that there's no ice on the road)
rhughes

Post by rhughes »

377. If all goes well would like to finish tomorrow.

Ritchie