Tripleshot Yoga

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Anika

Tripleshot Yoga

Post by Anika »

So I went to yoga for the first time in FOREVER last week and it was awesome. I realized I spend waaaay too much time thrashing my body to bits on my bicycle and not nearly enough time engaging in activities that help to undo the damage thereby inflicted. As a result I am always sore and stiff and in no way stretchy bendy. I can't be the only one! So I was wondering if there would be any interest in getting a group to yoga? Might be a fun winter activity. Plus, being stretchy bendy improves performance so we could all benefit from a little yoga. Anyone interested? If there'S a decent group I might be able to get a private class or two for TSC members.
John D

Re: Tripleshot Yoga

Post by John D »

I might be interested, especially if it were something designed specifically with cyclists/cycling in mind.

A few years back I went for a bike fit with Barb B and she started by assessing my flexibility. Part of this included me lying on my back while she lifted each of my legs to see how far up they could go. At one point she actually snorted and said something like "Seriously, that's it?!" :oops:

J.
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
barton bourassa

Post by barton bourassa »

I'd be interested depending on location, time and cost. I have found yoga amazingly beneficial for body and mind. While taking part in a Running Room clinic for a marathon, we had a yoga instructor come by and give us a chat on the benefits thereof. I will never forget her first remarks: "You people are not running marathons for your health! If you were concerned about your health, you would be doing yoga and going long walks, not running and thrashing your body for 3 or 4 hours at a time." Same goes for cycling 300 to 400 K a week!!

So, where do we order Tripleshot yoga wear?
Barton Bourassa
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

barton bourassa wrote:I'd be interested depending on location, time and cost.
Me too.
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Likewise.
Paula

Post by Paula »

I agree about the super benefits of yoga.

Jen and I do yoga during the week at the lunch hour with an instructor I really like, Michael Taylor.
The super bonus is that he is affordable. It works out to be $6-$7 a class. He has his own yoga business - google yoga in mind. He teaches in different locations.

If you are looking for an instructor, you can check him out maybe he would add a class for tripleshot.

I would be interested depending on time and place. How about 6 am Monday and Thursday :)
phiri

Post by phiri »

I would recommend the 7 p.m open yoga at the main Victoria Y, on Monday evenings for any Y members. This class presumes you've done some yoga before as there is not much teaching on form. I find yoga a great way to counteract the muscle tension that sitting hunched over a bike can produce. Take care,

Pierre
bbphysio

Post by bbphysio »

I have been to Yin yoga with instructor Suzanne Flannigan, had the best ride ever the day after....so for all of you who I have said polite things like, "is that it?" in regards to your flexibility, here is your chance. She will do classes in the mornings for you lovely lot:

One-on-One YIN Yoga sessions for cyclists
Scheduled with cyclist
$40 per hour

YIN yoga class for cyclists
Monday 6:00am – 7:00am (Nov 25, Dec 2, 9, 16, 23)
$55 per person (limit of 6 people)

**if there is more interest, I will add another session on Thursday mornings from 5:45am to 6:45 am.

Suzanne Flannigan, PhD
Nationally Certified Canadian Coach
Training Peaks Certified Coach
200 RYT
SoozSports and Yoga Therapy
SoozSports.com
250-896-5252
info@soozsports.com
katew

Post by katew »

Is giggling helplessly better or worse than, "is that it?"
kateweber.com
John D

Post by John D »

katew wrote:Is giggling helplessly better or worse than, "is that it?"
Barb - I do hope you took my comment in the spirit in which it (and your original) comment was intended! My UVic colleagues tell me that I'm inflexible in other ways too - so it may just be a deeply-rooted character flaw. :wink:

Cheers,
John
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

I'm signed up!
Martin
katew

Post by katew »

So am I. I'm not sure which is worse: being strung like a violin, or the blended look of pity and horror when Barb assesses my range of motion. This should help both.
kateweber.com
EricS

Post by EricS »

Very interested. Where are these sessions taking place?

Eric
Eric Simonson
FairweatherMike

Post by FairweatherMike »

Interested! From my limited exposure to yoga I've learned that it builds core strength in addition to increasing flexibility and range of motion. It can also help correct muscle imbalance (a major source of athletic injuries, especially in endurance sports - when did you last have a muscle balance assessment?) as well as develop better neuro-muscular awareness and coordination, all of which are great things on a bike - and in life generally.

Mike
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

And the best part, Mike, is that your Lulus will finally stop pilling in the inner thigh.

Was the location ever disclosed? That's a big limiting factor for me...
mshepard

Post by mshepard »

I went for my first ever yoga session inspired by this thread. I have to confess I was a bit terrified of the prospect but it was awesome! The studio is on Astoria off Maplewood.
mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

Here are the directions from Sooz. You should probably email her (see above in the thread for her address) to confirm that you'll be attending, as there's limited space. I thought the class was very good.

Martin

"The studio is at 3435 Willerton Road – come down Maplewood to Astoria and turn toward Cedar Hill Golf course – we are one block up on the corner of Astoria and Willerton. It is a three storey light green house. Studio is on the top floor. Please plan to arrive about 5 to 10 minutes before the class."

The best way to get in (last week) was by the main entrance (facing Astoria) of the house. Sooz said that there may be an outside staircase directly to the studio installed by next week (renovations are ongoing)--so look for it.