Rasmussen claims he taught Ryder, Seamus & Sheppard to dope

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

BikeGuy

Rasmussen claims he taught Ryder, Seamus & Sheppard to dope

Post by BikeGuy »

Rolf

Re: Rasmussen claims he taught Ryder, Seamus & Sheppard to d

Post by Rolf »

Man, another year has passed since my ill-informed ramblings following the USADA report, pointing the finger at Ryder. Another year of thousands enjoying the Ryder ride and burnishing that public reputation.

It's so much worse for EPO-era riders to get picked off one by one like this. Ryder, and all of them, should be extra pissed at Pat McQuaid for obstructing the truth and reconciliation process over the past year. A full inquiry held in the immediate aftermath of the USADA report, offering amnesty for complete disclosure, could have greatly lessened the perceived moral failings of individual riders. It wouldn't diminish the fact they cheated, but it would help their adoring public understand some of the pressures they faced and the choices they made.

Breaking down the Omertà brick-by-brick is so much worse than taking a wrecking ball to it.

Having said all that: Rasmussen sure has some credibility issues—so here's hoping it's all bunk! :roll:
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

interesting to note Rasmussen claimed he taught the three Canadians, but never witnessed Hesjedal taking anything. Am I clinging to a false hope, or..................
stevierooks

Post by stevierooks »

A guy I know once gave me an in depth lesson on how to grow indoor marijuana. Lots of people around me were doing it too at the time. Does that mean I'm assumed to be guilty of growing marijuana?

Rooks
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

C'mon, Rooks: we're no judge or jury. This is the peanut gallery! :lol: "Innocent until proven boring..." — after which we're freed to speculate and argue with little to no justification. :) You'll note the description of the General Banter forum category includes "doping accusations".

So, yes, I'm going to assume you're guilty of growing marijuana, belying the clean-living and slightly nerdish reputation of the typical road cycling enthusiast. You naughty boy.
BikeGuy

Post by BikeGuy »

stevierooks wrote:A guy I know once gave me an in depth lesson on how to grow indoor marijuana. Lots of people around me were doing it too at the time. Does that mean I'm assumed to be guilty of growing marijuana?
Welp.... he confessed: http://canadiancyclist.com/dailynews.ph ... -to-doping
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hesjeda ... n-to-usada

Okay: admission and statement from Slipstream released. It was a long time ago, happily outside limitation periods. I'm sorry, love my sport etc. etc. Good to have that over and done with.

But it begs the question: why wait until he's outed by The Chicken to reveal statements he gave over a year ago to USADA and CCES? I'm really gobsmacked his minders (if he even has anyone looking out for him on this stuff - evidence to the contrary) wouldn't have counselled chucking his admissions out there along with those of VdV, Danielson and Zabriskie. Is it maybe because they were subject to a six-month ban by USADA and CCES/CCC weren't willing/able to impose the same sanction, raising an uncomfortably inequitable team situation?

If not then, then why not in the aftermath of Lance on Oprah? I would have expected everyone with skeletons to have come out then, because surely the writing was on the wall. And everyone benefits from doing it en masse. I guess that's where the wait for a TRC comes in...

Vaughters said today on Twitter that Ryder said nothing until now because he's been part of an ongoing investigation, and that R was given special dispensation to make a statement because of The Chicken's book. At the same time, the CCES and CCC, who are likely the ones doing the investigating, say efforts to learn more about doping in Canadian cycling [have] been frustrated by the reluctance of athletes to speak out about their personal experiences in the area. Anyone else see the irony here? Surely Ryder openly admitting his past and denouncing doping a year ago, as Canada's star cyclist, would have opened the door to more admissions and actually facilitated any Canadian investigation?

Without getting into all the nitty gritty of "I did this, on this date, at this place, with these people," the air will not clear. But I guess riders still competing hope to have protections against sanctions in place before spilling. The drama shall continue...
Last edited by Rolf on Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

Only tell the truth if it doesn't cost you something? Is that what you're saying Rolf? His silence was deafening during the Lance-Oprah period. Sure it was a long time ago, but it elevated him above other Canadian cyclists at the time.

I still have the issue of the "Squamish Chief" that published Test of Metal results about 15 years ago. I'll publish the names of the people he beat on the forum this evening (well maybe not all 696 of them). Suspicion - that's what you get for cheating Ryder. Guess who else was doing very well in BC mountain bike races at the time?

JT
Last edited by JohnT on Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

OK, maybe I was a bit too aggressive, but what a disappointment - not so much that he did it, but that he, like almost all of the others, thought silence was the best way forward.

Anyway, as promised:

1998 Test of Metal results.

Once the upset-at-Ryder haze left my eyes, I decided to keep working my way down the list just let you know how Victoria riders did way back then (maybe you know some of these names). When you've got a 15 yr old copy of The Squamish Chief in your hands, you might as well share!

1. Geoff Kabush 2:40:20
2. Chad Miles 2:40:24
3. Marc Sonntag 2:40:43
4. Ryder Hesjedal 2:42:52 DQ (take that Mister "Ryder Sorry-I-was-caught Hesjedal")
5. Ruedi Schnyder 2:43:18
6. Andreas Hestler 2:45:17

17. Virgil Hawkes 2:54:21
19. Michael Vine 2:55:00
44. Dwayne Kress 3:02:32
51. John Rose 3:04:46
96. Linda Robichaud 3:17:02
98. John Taylor 3:18:28
109. Gina Grain 3:21:03
134. Tony Thai 3:25:18
205. Charlene Waldner 3:40:02
250. Michael Achuff 3:47:41
503. Warren Cederberg 4:31:17
577. George Mckay 4:45:03
691. Mike Garnett 5:30:35
693. Paul Jutrus 5:31:31
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

I don't think it's fair to throw the athletes under the bus when everyone else around them who facilitated/ecouraged it gets off scott free.
It's a lot to expect of a young athletes coming up in a sport in an era where doping was encouraged/accepted at all levels of management to be beacons of righteousness at 20 years old. It was literally dope to compete or give up on your dream of ever being pro. Of course in an environment like that the people that will rise to the top of the sport will be dopers.

It actually blows me away that people continue to be surprised by this stuff. Nibali's giro TT this year was pretty suspect, Froome at the tour bordered on ridiculous, and A 42 year old won the Vuelta. Has the sport actually made any progress?
I hope the tour de victoria at least continues next year. I think Ryder and especially Seamus have done a really great thing with this event to support and give back exposure to local cycling. It would be a shame if it goes away. I guess I could always travel to Penticton for the Axel Merckxx ride if I want to get in my doper-led grand fondo fix next year.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

The point about enablers is a good one, Josh. It was discussed in today's TC article by one Peter Lawless, who appears to be trying to do something about it: http://www.timescolonist.com/ryder-hesj ... h-1.677748
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

I agree completely Josh. It's what's happen since, especially in the last year or so, then that's upsetting. He could have spoken about it on his own terms (as a 32 year old). He could have provided enough information to silence the critics about events before and after that basement EPO lesson. He still can.

Regarding my post: I really don't think he was doping during that Test of Metal race in 1998 - the aim was to stress the point that whenever it happened, other cyclists were affected. A list of names makes that clear, and counters those who sweep it under the rug by saying it's ancient history, let's move on.

JT
ghomer

Post by ghomer »

In a similar vein, Tom Skinner's post from a year or so ago:

http://www.canadiancyclist.com/cycling4 ... hate-sport
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Two former World Cup mtb riders reminded me this week that there was a difference between the road and mtb doping scenes in 2003. In mtb, there were still top riders who were competing clean. And roadies who came across were surprised to see some were clean in MTB. The most notable was festina roadie Jerome chiotti who won the mtb worlds in 1996, felt bad for beating known clean rider Frishknecht, and decided to give back his medal in a ceremony he organized.

Kinda makes this doping look worse to me. I haven't done the research, but apparently half the top ten mtb riders of the era are untainted by doping. Can't say that about road. If true, and shortly after Chiotti"s example, it means these guys deliberately set out to cheat clean riders.
Chiotti hands it back
Jerome Chiotti
Photo: © AFP
Former World Cross Country Mountain Bike champion and admitted EPO taker, Jerome Chiotti today renounced his gold medal that he won in Cairns, Australia in 1996. At a press conference in Paris today, Chiotti handed his medal and jersey to the second placed rider on that day, Thomas Frischknecht of Switzerland.

"I'm turning the page. I was young, full of ambition and I stole something from him by taking the title," said Chiotti to AFP at the conference. Chiotti has since parted from his Giant team - on friendly terms - while he attempts to sort other matters out.

"Four years ago, he did something evil," commented Frischknecht. "But today, he showed that he has a good hard and a good spirit. There are others who cheat, but don't make admissions like Jerome." Frischknecht has been runner up in the World Championships all too many times (1990, 1991, 1992 and 1996 in XC mountain biking) and even in cyclocross in 1997, and now takes his first world title.

There will be an official modification made to the results by the UCI following this, but Chiotti is far from being off the hook. He still wants to race however the French Cycling Federation (FFC) want to discipline him. They are not only interested in the doping, but also in the claim that Chiotti had an agreement with Miguel Martinez to fix the 1999 French Championship so that Chiotti won. They will look into the matter in June.
http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/results/ ... news.shtml

I also think these guys should be asked to make amends. If they're really sorry, how about giving some of the proceeds of the tour de vic to antidoping programs?
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Kid in the centre of the photo makes
me think of 'won't get fooled again'.
http://ryderscyclingsociety.org/support/
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
wonger

Post by wonger »

Josh.E wrote:It actually blows me away that people continue to be surprised by this stuff. Nibali's giro TT this year was pretty suspect, Froome at the tour bordered on ridiculous, and A 42 year old won the Vuelta. Has the sport actually made any progress?
I hope the tour de victoria at least continues next year. I think Ryder and especially Seamus have done a really great thing with this event to support and give back exposure to local cycling. It would be a shame if it goes away. I guess I could always travel to Penticton for the Axel Merckxx ride if I want to get in my doper-led grand fondo fix next year.
Plus one.

It was discussed this morning - and I see it suggested on the forum - that Ryder/Seamus should be given some sort of ultimatum or make reparations through the Tour de Victoria to support anti-doping. I think that's a mistake and puts personal opinions at the forefront, particularly if the thinking is that it would be a club initiative.

If you feel personally wronged by this, I understand that (Ben Johnson), and it tells me that you are absolutely passionate about the sport. That's a good thing. Unfortunately it just does not surprised me.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

I get that its not a surprise. But honest question. Why do you think it's a mistake to ask that they offer something more than a hollow apology before the cycling community continues to support their business?
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Let me share my Friday lunchtime reading and hopefully save you some time. Some good stuff here:
  1. Ryder continues to refuse interviews, citing ongoing investigations, and Canadian Cyclist is understandably pissed off; in an editorial today, they can't believe the mainstream media has let this go after a brief 24 hours of coverage and they also trash Ryder's milquetoast apology and non-substantive statement from yesterday—I'm climbing aboard!
  2. Francois Parisien (Canada's alternate for the 2008 Beijing Olympic road race behind Ryder Hesjedal and Michael Barry—both admitted historical dopers), is convinced his Olympics were stolen from him and is supremely pissed off [CBC French - from today] [VeloNation discussion].
  3. Will Routley (2010 Canadian RR champ) poignantly offered, a year ago, the voice of the clean athlete in the face of the USADA revelations; he discusses Olympic dreams and vital training money effectively stolen by dopers (I'm guessing he's looking for a cheque from Ryder.) [Vancouver Sun column, Nov. 5, 2012]
  4. (Special for John T) Seamus McGrath, who also admitted yesterday to doping at the same time as Ryder, was suspended at the MTB Worlds (for two weeks?) for a >50% hematocrit in 1997, the first year the UCI started blood testing for EPO [Canadian Cyclist, Sept. '97]
  5. La Gazetta is sure UCI and WADA will be re-testing Ryder's 2012 Giro blood and urine samples. [Italian, from today]
  6. A knowledgeable British cycling blogger weighs in with a sharp, historical look at Ryder's career through the lens of yesterday's admission, blowing a hole in the "ongoing investigation" line, and making an important connection between his confession to doping authorities this past Spring and his crappy 2013 results.
I'm increasingly thinking my Ryder-at-the-Giro poster will remain unframed. Fly to Toronto, Ryder, get on Stromboulopoulos' couch (or some other softball venue) and spill everything you did, name names, give dates, identify those clean athletes from whom you know you stole opportunities and apologize to them. Otherwise, this fan's fanaticism will continue to wither away to nothing.

p.s. Lest you wish to hang yourself after all the negativity, Gillian Carleton and the CDN Women's Team Pursuit crew just broke the Canadian record in quallies and are right this instant contesting the UCI World Track gold in Manchester! (Albeit against the champion Brits, who broke the WR.)
Anika

Post by Anika »

Josh.E wrote:It was literally dope to compete or give up on your dream of ever being pro. Of course in an environment like that the people that will rise to the top of the sport will be dopers.
I think that it is precisely this attitude that is the problem. No, not everyone is a doper, not everyone is a cheat, and even if they were it does not make the act of doping or otherwise cheating yourself any less wrong. Goes back to the old "If all your friends jumped off a bridge, would you jump?" argument your parents (or at least my parents) used. And to say that he was young as though that is in some way an excuse is just ridiculous. I'm the age now that he was when he was doping. We kids might not be all full of wisdom and maturity yet BUT we should know the difference between basic right and wrong. It is wrong to cheat, it is wrong to lie, it is wrong to steal. Period. No excuses. Seriously, that's a lesson I learned when I cheated on my 3rd grade spelling test and my father promptly whooped my sorry rear. Are we seriously going to continue to accept these lame excuses and "woes me" stories from the athletes that knowingly and willingly cheated our sport? Come on! He's not a victim to be felt sorry for. He's a liar that made thousands by cheating.

Phew.....that got the blood pressure up! Had a fiery ginger moment for a sec there. Will (Canadian pro) shared his thoughts much more eloquently: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Whis ... story.html

It's athletes like Will that we should be supporting rather than rallying around know dopers and excusing their actions.
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

How do you think I'm implying everyone is a doper?

Not everyone is a cheat, but there will also always be many who are.
I'm saying in a corrupt system, those willing to cheat are at an unfair advantage. End result is that more cheaters end up in the sport.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.