Wednesday Hill Rides

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Fozzy

Wednesday Hill Rides

Post by Fozzy »

Hey all.

Was talking to a few guys this morning about the Wednesday Hill rides.
I went out for my first hill ride this week and I really enjoyed the experience.
There was only 5 or 6 out in total, but between the 1st and 2nd lap around Tolmie, the faster riders disappeared.
I caught up with one of the chaps this morning and asked about the meeting place for post ride coffee.
it seems that most guys ride to Cook St with the Farm Team after the hills.
So, I was wondering whether we either revise the website to include the ride with the farm team and new cafe location, or revitalize the hill ride and meet at Pure Vanilla as posted.

Any suggestions?
Lister Farrar

Re: Wednesday Hill Rides

Post by Lister Farrar »

I prefer pure vanilla. Coffee is vastly better. But then I haven't done hills in a while, though plan to after cross season.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Paula

Post by Paula »

Since the Farm Team is a distinct group and ride from the tripleshot group and rides, albeit a number of tripleshot folks ride with the ft and many of us are both, I do not think we should have the farm team ride mentioned on tripleshot website. The farm team wants to stay separate, so we need to respect that.

Having not done the hill ride in a long time, i don't know the dynamic now at the start of the ride, but would it be possible to agree to coffee location at the start of rides for those who don't intend to join the farm team ride as it goes up caddie bay and end then communicated to those as they join the ride?

Paula
Andrew L

Post by Andrew L »

The turnout for the hill rides even in July / August was pretty low this year. There one ride in July when I was the only one who did any repeats of Mt. Tolmie and Sinclair. On a couple other occasions there was only 2-3 others that made it all the way to Mt Tolmie. I suspect the turnout is even lower now that the weather is bad.

I know the farm team ride takes over half the people that start the Wednesday hills after doin 4-5 reps on Caddy Bay. Not sure if the turnout was low this year because it didn't align with training goals or because people don't like riding hills anymore. Or if the group would rather do something else on Wednesdays...
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

The hill ride traditionally met at Pure Vanilla after the second Tolmie climb. I'd be happy to return to that - nice and close to my house. But, as Andrew mentioned, the farm team ride picks up the majority of hill climbers these days and it seems that those who remain behind head home after that second Tolmie climb. So Pure Vanilla meetings haven't happened in ages.

I've riden down Richmond to Fairfield and then on to Cook after hills three times recently - farm team arrives at the Moca House at about the same time.

I don't think the farm team people object. Indeed, one of the reasons I've advertised this happy timing thing is so that people keen on busting their legs on Wednesdays know that they can do that and still be coffee-social.

I suggest a little more communication during the hill ride. There are lots of ways for a mixed group to end at the same time (extra hill, half hill, one side of Tolmie vs loop), so as long as it's clear who is and who is not jumping ship we should be fine in the future.

JT