Left turning motorist ruins the day...

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

stevierooks

Left turning motorist ruins the day...

Post by stevierooks »

Drive Safe 8)
Last edited by stevierooks on Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stevierooks

Re: Left turning motorist ruins the day...

Post by stevierooks »

Head meets car
Attachments
2013-10-13_07.21.55[1].jpg
Anika

Post by Anika »

Ouch! Watch out for concussion symptoms. I thought I was ok the day I got smoked then felt like @$$ for the next morning with full on concussion symptoms. Glad crisis was averted this time. Cars suck!
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Ouch!! Glad Terra is OK.
mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

Just a (slightly paranoid) suggestion from the peanut gallery. When we have accidents we're often quick to tell war stories and reassure our cycling friends that we're OK by posting online: "Just minor scrapes and bruises...", "No serious damage..." etc.

It wouldn't surprise me if ICBC looks for evidence of such conversations online, and, if they do, they might use them against you if you go to file a claim on the basis of having experienced an injury.

Along similar lines of reasoning, I was told that I was foolish to get up from my car-on-bike takedown last February and ride to work and proceed to stay at work for the rest of the day. Apparently ICBC *will* use it against you if you show up at work right after an accident. You can hear them arguing, "How badly hurt could you be if you went to work the same day?"

It's not that I'm encouraging us to all go out and stick to ICBC as much as we can when we get hit. It's just that sometimes injuries can be worse than they appear in the initial aftermath. Given the risk that things could turn south, you don't want to cut off options by advertising to ICBC right after the accident that "everything's OK" when maybe it will turn out not to be.

That said, I think Rooks's photo (and the details of the story) trumps anything posted online when it comes to assessing whether that was a serious crash. That looks serious. This is more a general message about these occasional accident posts.

Hope Terra's doing OK! :)

Martin
stevierooks

Post by stevierooks »

Good point Martin. I re-read my post and it is quite misleading when I said Terra was "fine" and "ok". I remember stating that simply because I didnt want people to worry. I was so relieved that her tailbone x-ray showed no broken bones that I wasnt really looking at the whole picture. It was quite traumatic for me to watch that crash happen right before my eyes. I wasnt thinking about anything but how happy I was that she was alive and allowed to leave the hospital.

Its all relative. Terra missed what would have been a great ride that day. She is also missing out on so much more with every day that goes by now. Nausea, dizzyness and pain meds are preventing her from doing what she would love to be doing right now...riding a bike in the late fall sunshine awesomeness!!

Thanks to everyone for your kind PMs and posts of support and well wishes.

Drive safe :D
Rooks