Rolf agrees to eat his bib shorts........

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

leftcoaster

Rolf agrees to eat his bib shorts........

Post by leftcoaster »

Rolf.....
if the CAS agrees to hear and decide a point of law inside of three weeks, I'll eat my bib shorts.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/15394 ... ction.aspx

Make it one of the Tripleshot bib shorts. I kinda like the Farm Team ones.......

and I'm holding you to this one :twisted: :D
Rolf

Re: Rolf agrees to eat his bib shorts........

Post by Rolf »

Wow. Well, they've agreed in principle it's a possibility; but that's different from making a determination of their capacity once they have an actual request for arbitration in front of them. In order for this quick hearing to work, Pat's got to agree and respond immediately. That likely won't be in his interest. But let's see how things unfold...

In the meantime, I'll be brewing up some very strong hot sauce to get past the funky, tang of lycra. :oops:
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

I think the point was..............
if the CAS agrees to hear and decide a point of law inside of three weeks
whether McQuaid agrees to and responds immediately is a moot point :D
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Well, Dave, you can apply to the CAS for a determination of which of our interpretations of my dismissive claim should stand. :D I'll happily attorn to their jurisdiction. But you'll have to get your Request for Arbitration in pronto, lest we get mired in litigation for months to come. :wink:
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Darn, I guess we'll never know. Pat won't play: http://www.uci.ch/Modules/ENews/ENewsDe ... ?id=OTYwMg

Oh, and he had nothing to do with the decision! :roll:

Toscana may be the first World Champs where the UCI Annual Congress gets more attention than the Men's Elite Road Race. There's hope yet for pugilism and fisticuffs!
Chris Watt

Post by Chris Watt »

Maybe I was the only one that had to look this up...but I think Rolf has snuggling with his legal dictionary...

at·torn
/əˈtərn/
Verb
Formally make or acknowledge a transfer of something.
Transfer (something) to someone else.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

I actually meant "attorn" in the much narrower sense from private international law where a person not otherwise obligated, might attorn to (i.e. give himself or herself over to) the jurisdiction of another state—or here, the power of a international tribunal that is the creation of the IOC and international sport federations.

But all of a sudden this thread has become super lame... as have I... and as has my Friday night.

Clearly we need some better banter on the forum.

Oh, I know: why don't we discuss design ideas for the new Tripleshot kit? :P
John D

Post by John D »

Rolf wrote:Oh, I know: why don't we discuss design ideas for the new Tripleshot kit? :P
I've even heard rumours of a potential merger of the TSC and the Farm Team kits...we'll look like a 64-colour box of Crayolas.
Not. :wink:
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Rolf, I think that was an exceptionally perceptive post about UCI politics. Plenty of opportunities to buy votes from delegates with goodies to spread around back home, like calendar dates, invitations, assignments, and commission appointments.

The trick for UCI constitutional reform is how to prevent that. Outsourcing doping control is just one improvement. Many more needed.

I'd say you're pretty safe from having to eat any shorts Rolf. Even with Pat gone, the rest of the sport, including Cookson, lived through the corrupt era without any whistleblowing. Not likely to give CAS, or even members, a real look in.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Here's a good example of uci constitutional weakness from the current election story.

That Swiss nomination that evaporated? The swiss president that nominated Maquaid is the organizer and owner of the tour de romandie protour race, and, yes, subject to UCI approval for a date.
http://gerard.cc/2013/08/21/race-to-the-bottom/

I'm sure no connection though. Funny how he resigned right after three swis fed members objected.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/swiss-c ... aid-affair

So a Swiss constitutional weakness that a president would advance his business interests in his capacity as president. (Also arguably a strength that members objected and he was removed.)

But also evidence of UCI swapping favours. How can any uci president be any better if he can buy support through goodies like race sanctions and appointments?
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

I'm also sure there's no connection between Chassot's (the Swiss fed president and owner of Tour de Romandie) fetid attempt this Spring to rescue Pat's nomination, the increasingly dark outlook for Pat's cronies, and the renewal three days ago of the Tour de Romandie UCI licence for the next three years! :roll: Some good back-scratching going on there.

The renewal followed this amendment of the Road Race regulations, passed on July 1, 2013 which restricts the duration of newly issued race licences to 2016. This amends the existing rule which says that UCI Worldtour licences are valid "in principle for four years".

Without knowing any further context or the real impact of that amendment, a cynic may infer that this is some gerrymandering in anticipation of the Presidential cycle occurring again in four year's time. If Pat's still President, having race licences expire before the 2017 election could be very helpful to get votes in his pocket.

There are other possible consequences of this strange rule change. But I think the point is that people like me wouldn't even be nosing about and thinking about things like this if there wasn't a huge cloud of suspicion and cynicism surrounding everything the UCI does these days.