Advice on used carbon bike purchase (first timer)

post all stuff wanted and for sale here

Moderator: mfarnham

bradzarikoff

Advice on used carbon bike purchase (first timer)

Post by bradzarikoff »

I'm currently throwing around the idea of getting a used carbon bike and am looking for some friendly club advice.

I found a perfectly fitting consigned bike at a shop for 1800 for a sub- 20 lb model. The frame looks to be in perfect shape, and the only parts that I will need to replace are the chain and cassette. The bike was purchased and maintained by the same shop. I am quite enamoured of it.

My concern is about the longevity of the bike. I don't see myself racing in the next few years, so I would only be using it for group rides and the occasional sportive, good weather only. For my type of riding, can I expect this bike to last me 5 years? At the back of my mind is the spectre of having a crash and a totalled bike, although my track record so far has been good (knock on wood).

Any thoughts from experience would be appreciated!
Brad Z.
stevierooks

Re: Advice on used carbon bike purchase (first timer)

Post by stevierooks »

My two bits. Carbon frames are one thing. There are a whole range of carbon parts and other expensive components that can affect the price of a "carbon bike" Shop! I've recently seen some pretty nice road bikes in the stores, new, for less money than $1800. Used Vic is a daily go to for shopping good bikes.

Carbon will break and that is a fact. It doesn't break as much as it used to but if it does, tough titties...unless you have wicked good insurance. It cracks too, so closely inspect any used frame that you are considering to purchase.

There are only two types of riders...those who have crashed, and those who are going to crash. Its part of the package as far as I can tell.

My Daddy always said "Never buy the first (car) you see." No matter how good a deal or awesome it seems, never buy the first one you check out.

In conclusion, I recommend that you get a nice carbon bike that fits you well and comes in at a realistic budget price. The more you shop, the better.

:D

Rooks
bradzarikoff

Post by bradzarikoff »

Thanks Steve! I have to admit I am easily distracted by "shiny things". I will take your advice and look around at a few shops to see what clocks in at around my budget before I make a decision. From your comments and from looking online, there is clearly more of a price range involved in carbon frames and components than with other bike styles than I first suspected.
Brad Z.
wonger

Post by wonger »

Hey Brad - I was just looking at a Norco Valence in OBB. Carbon frame, full Shimano 105 for $1800 new. Not a bad option. An advantage to buying through a reputable retailer is that they will often go to bat for you to replace a broken part or frame. I cracked the frame of my mountain bike five years into it and they were able to get me a replacement rear triangle at an extremely good rate. Those are options that you will generally not get with an online or used purchase.
bradzarikoff

Post by bradzarikoff »

Thanks for the tip Jeff. I plan to drop by OBB and Fort St to check out what they have to offer. May check out the Trek store if I find the time too.

I am tempted by the online stores, partly because of the success of my wife's bike, but I suspect that carbon may not ship well in the mail. Has anyone ever bought a carbon bike online?
Brad Z.
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Check out the bicyclepeddler.com website.
They have 2012 bikes on there for discounted prices.
The stores that advertize on this site are usually located in vancouver, but its still worth a look.
bradzarikoff

Post by bradzarikoff »

Interesting Cervelo story. Of course, this could happen whether you have a new or used bike from what I understand.
Brad Z.
steven grandy

Post by steven grandy »

Chances are that you'll wear out the components before wearing out the frame. In the case of a severe crash, Roberts Composites from Vancouver will repair most bikes for $300. My bike has been fixed by them with no perceptible change in weight or performance.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Ditto Steve's advice. As an only recent adaptor of aluminum from lugged steel, I'm a retro grouch sceptic. But there now are dozens of stories of successful repairs in carbon. Andrew rubbed through his carbon cervelo, and the bike shop guys couldn't find the repair Roberts did. Brenna's madone has an all new but invisible seat stay from a car accident. Roberts owner's kids were 250 lb track sprinters and rode repaired carbon wheels and other parts. Seems like the disposable era is pretty much over.

By comparison, Sam Whittingham of naked bikes, a high end custom maker on quadra, doesn't recommend repairing aluminum because it requires heat treating that removes the paint and is cost prohibitive. He was able to replace Kirsten Arenson's broken carbon dropout on a cervelo with a sweet stainless piece of sculpture. That said the junior program has a donated alu specialized with a cracked head tube that was successfully welded by Dave Fair in Metchosin (he does motor cycle trials so knows about busted stuff). and raced since.

Still, I quite unexpectedly really like my alu neuvation f100. Trying not to think that carbon bikes are that much better again. :). The only downside to the best new stuff is there's no excuses once you have one. An old bike is a reliable source of doubt that you could really be that much better. Lol
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
katew

Post by katew »

Indeed, Lister, it was a sad day when I realized I'd bought about all the speed I can.

Time to work on the engine and the excess insulation. *sigh*
kateweber.com