Big Loop ride - 7 July 2013

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

conway

Big Loop ride - 7 July 2013

Post by conway »

Triple Shot Big Loop ride Victoria - Port Renfrew - Victoria via Lake Cowichan and the Mill Bay Ferry (260K)

This is the ride for all Triple Shot riders but in particular for "Tour of Victoria" and Grand Fondo" riders. Time to get in some serious long training miles. Come and join us on this spectacular ride scheduled:

Date 7th July 2013
Time 5:45am
Place Starbucks 3180 Douglas Street (opposite Mayfair mall). Starbucks opens at 5:30am
Victoria, BC
(250) 360-0339

Route: Victoria-Sooke- Port Renfrew- Lake Cowichan - Duncan - Mill Bay (Ferry) - Brentwood Bay - Victoria. Distance Victoria to Mill Bay Ferry 227k Brentwood Ferry to downtown Victoria 40K

This is a Triple Shot ride. As this is a Triple Shot ride by definition it will be a social ride. However, it is understood some "A" riders may wish to ride faster than others ("B/C" riders). However, it must be emphasized no one will ride a lone or be dropped.

The club has agree to pay the expenses of a support vehicle and food/drinks for all riders.Marcus Gill has kindly offered to provided ride support using his VW camper "chuck" wagon. Marcus will make food and drink available to riders along the route. In addition the club has agreed to pay for a bowl of chowder and a coffee or equivalent at the Kitchen Cafe in Port Renfrew.

Other riders (non Triple Shot members have expressed an interest in joining the ride. Non-members will be charged $10 for the ride to cover the cost of food and support.

All riders should be carry spare tubes, water and snacks.

The plan is to catch the last ferry at Mill Bay: 6:30pm.

With this in mind I have prepared this basic itinerary. The key time is to be at Mill Bay by 6Pm. This would allow for buying a coffee or ice cream at Mill Bay prior to riding to the ferry terminal. We should allow 15 mins for this part of the ride. The alternative is to ride the Malahat!!

The basic plan is as follows:
Distance Time
Leave Victoria: 0K 5:45- 6am
Sooke: 35K 7:30
Port Renfrew: 110K) 11am -11:30

Lunch at he Coastal Cafe

Leave Port Renfrew: Noon

Lake Cowichan: 168K 2:30PM

Duncan: 200K 5pm
Mill Bay: 218K 6pm
Ferry Bay Ferry 224K 6:15 - 6:30pm
Brentwood Bay- Victoria - 40K 8 - 9pm

Ferry leaves at 6:30pm

We would appreciate if riders could confirm they are riding so we can stock the "chuck" wagon accordingly.

If you have any questions about the ride please give me a call 250 595-6790.

Mark
Paul C.

Re: Big Loop ride - 7 July 2013

Post by Paul C. »

I am in for riding this BIG ride, and assisting Mark Ford in getting some of you to the start ....and the finish. Any of you that have done 100km recently could complete this: with proper eating, drinking, pacing and resting along the way. For further Randoneer tips see us at coffee, (soon).
barton bourassa

Post by barton bourassa »

I am in. I put this on my family calendar some time back!
Leg two of the TSC Summer Time Triple Crown!
Barton Bourassa
katew

Post by katew »

I'm not going to be able to make it - :(
kateweber.com
rhughes

Post by rhughes »

I am in as long as we do the first way as planned.

Why? First thoughts are usually best (Malcolm Gladwell says so)...and I will have to break off at Lake Cowichan and head north to Nanaimo for BBQ dinner.

Ritchie
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

I hope to step in and take Ritchie's place in Lake Cowichan around 2:30, riding home with the group from there. I'm camping in Gordon Bay on Saturday night.

Marcus: can you please PM your cell # so I can confirm around lunch that the group's roughly on time?
mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

Looks like I'm in.

Martin
mlawless

Post by mlawless »

I am also likely to try this foolishness.

Michael
John D

Post by John D »

Martin and Mike - good to have you aboard! By my count, there should now be around 10-12 of us riding on Sunday, including a couple of Farm Team guys and two of Mark's buddies from their Wednesday Sidney ride.

If anyone else from TSC is still sitting on the fence about this one, why not join us? Remember that this is a fully supported ride in case anybody runs into trouble, etc. And given the distance it will be at a very sensible pace and with a couple of refueling stops. In addition to some good company, it's also one of the most amazing routes in BC.

Cheers,
John
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
gab

Post by gab »

Count me in (previously on the fence).
mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

I've forgotten to ask for advice on preparation at coffee this week. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Especially with respect to measures one can take to prevent chafing! Martin
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Get some of that saddle/runner's lube. All running shops and most bike shops have it. Slather it on any part of your body that touches your bike or other parts of your body while riding (save your hands and feet!) For long rides I also sometimes go for two pairs of shorts for double-chamois luxury; but this (a) risks extra chafing if they don't fit together well, and (b) is obviously not the best in super hot weather.

Talk to Mark, though. He measures some rides in days, not hours.
John D

Post by John D »

Hi all...

Just a reminder to bring some cash on Sunday as we will be taking the Mill Bay ferry to Brentwood Bay before the last leg of the ride. The listed fare for a walk-on passenger with a bike is $9.

I will pick up some extra "road food" that we will carry along in Marcus' vehicle. Right now I'm thinking bananas, oranges, bagels and cream-cheese. I will also grab a large container of Gatorade crystals and few 5 gallon jugs of water. Anything else?

Cheers,
John
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
FairweatherMike

Post by FairweatherMike »

In (as said previously). Should be awesome...
Also in with his vehicle and videocam is Y spin leader John Kelley, who has taken a keen interest in our little adventure. Looks like we'll generally have one vehicle ahead (Marcus) and one behind (John). Deluxe coverage!
Mike Skinner