Hurricane Ridge JULY 1

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

Andrew

Hurricane Ridge JULY 1

Post by Andrew »

So now that we have the big Aug 18th TSC hurricane ride going, we need a warm up Hurricane ride. So who is going for the traditional July 1st ride? There will likely be a good sized group from Procity.
Paul C.

Re: Hurricane Ridge JULY 1

Post by Paul C. »

As long as the weather forcast is for 18 C or more ,with no rain, I am going .
I may not sit with the Procity MEN wearing Pink and black (unless I where my baby blues with pink and yellow)......
Is Procity supplying a support vehicle like last year ? Is 6:10 the ferry leaving time ?
MDAWSON

Post by MDAWSON »

I'd like to go July 1st. What's the plan for it, where we meeting, etc.?

mike.
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

Hurricane Ridge is a massive climb but definitely doable for any reasonably fit cyclist, which is anyone reading this on the forum!
We will be taking the 6:10am Coho ferry (the terminal is on Belleville Street), and I would recommend showing up at 5:30am with your passport ready. It's also not a bad idea to purchase your ticket ahead of time, as I wouldn't be surprised if 60 or more riders show up if the weather is agreeable. It is just under $50 return for 1 person and a bike and there is also a $5 admission fee to the Olympic National Park. Most people do 1 ascent/descent and then return on the early afternoon ferry. However, Tripleshotters are not like most people and there is probably some crazy plan in the works, but someone else will have to comment on that.
I may be repeating some of what Kate has already mentioned, but I strongly recommend bringing travel insurance, some extra layers for the descent, your usual flat/repair kit and a few extra greenbacks. I also recommend asking Dave Spiers or Marcus about our epic ride 3 years ago on a cold, drizzly Canada day!
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

This was a BC Day ride three years ago.

It more than made up for the preceding Canada Day ride Stéphane mentioned - during which some riders were hospitalized for hypothermia (there was still tons of snow, in July!)

40 straight minutes of descending gets chilly in any conditions. :shock:
Chris Marshall

Post by Chris Marshall »

Count me in.
Chris