BC Champs Individual and Team Time Trial, July 20-21, Comox

Moderator: mfarnham

Lister Farrar

BC Champs Individual and Team Time Trial, July 20-21, Comox

Post by Lister Farrar »

Provincial Time Trial and Team Time Trial Championships July 20-21, Comox

Bryson Bowers and I would like to invite all members to form a team or volunteer at this made-for-Tripleshot-riders event.

We are co-hosting with the Comox-based Vancouver Island Youth Performance Racing Squad (VIPYRS). It's called the provincial championships, but that's because it's when BC cyclists agreed to meet to do this discipline together, not just to pick a champ. No qualifying or entry standard.

Who should do this? Anyone interested in teamwork, getting faster, and can connect with 3 other similar strength cyclists. You KNOW you know who is close to you from your epic battles every group ride. :wink:

For those new to TTT, the main idea is riders take turns leading for 15-60 seconds, before dropping back to rest in the draft. Teams must communicate, and balance stronger riders with weaker by adjusting the length of turns throughout. (Sounds like TS rides eh? So who'd be better at this than us ?)

It has many benefits for all types of cycling. Drafting skills obviously, but also it's an ideal over-under method for pushing over your threshold and then recovering while still at speed, and doing it again. As well, its motivating; most of us are willing to push a little harder for a team than on our own.

Training has started in earnest and we're twisting arms to commit to teams. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4409&p=20943#p20943 Pls post if you want a team or have a team and want a rider.

This event was organized by Peter in 2011 and was a huge success in participation and a surplus for the club. It was cancelled last year because another club thought they could do it and didn't. And, we've committed to a new format where the ITT is Saturday afternoon, and the TT is Sunday am so everyone has the legs for both, not just the pros.

The course is the dove creek rr course. Mostly flat, smooth, straight and quiet.

Both races are 20 km for U17 and younger, 40 km for u19 and older. (Notice that's almost exactly the same length as TS rides? You already have the base for this; no need for mega mileage prep, just some skill and speed work.)

Categories are u13, u15, u17, u19, cat 1,2, cat 3,4. I sense there is TS interest in 40+, 50+, 60+ categories, but Bryson and I need to see there is interest before we ask Cycling BC for more medals. Male and female for all categories.

Possible Tripleshot teams: Sign up now before all the slots are taken!

Youth teams:
  • u13 girls: Sarah, + Kelly's Kids triathletes?, Sarah's soccer friend?
    u13 boys: Anyone know some boys thinking of joining? This is a perfect chance to dip a toe into racing without big packs. Not to mention the great swimming spots. :)
    u15 boys: Thomas, Lockie, Ethan + Isaac? (Cam and Sage away)
    u15 girls: Need some!
    U17 girls: Laura Kennel?, (Una has a broken foot)
    U17 boys: Alex C.?, Chris M if he prefers this over u19, Eloi?
    U19 boys: Oliver, Jay, Chris H, Chris M.
    U19 girls: Brenna?, Penny?, Kathleen?, Kirby?, Caitlyn? +?, Laura Kennel?
Adult teams
  • cat 1,2 women: Anika?, +?
    Cat 1, 2 men: Bryson, + Can someone get Flounder a plane ticket?
    cat 3,4 women: Brenna, Jenn?, Kate?, Paula?, Allie?, Louise?
    cat 3,4 men: Stephane?
    40+ women: Paula?, Kate?, Kristin?, Louise?
    40+ men: Chris F?, Dave M?, Geoff W?, Pete L?
    50+ men: Sig, John T., Ritchie, Chris M, Lister, Jim P?, Hugh H? (Two teams?)
    50+ women: sign up now!
    60+men: Mark F?
    60+ women: sign up now!
(Sorry if I left anyone out who is interested; didn't want to assume age categories. :))

The schedule is tentatively Saturday 12:30 start (so mainlanders can find the island in daylight), finish about 4, bbq and medals at Dove Creek Hall.

Sunday, start at 10, finish by 1, medals asap, (then swim and picnic?).

Lots of volunteer jobs available. BBQ team Saturday, marshals both days, timekeepers assistants, medals and ceremony.

Accommodations Saturday night:
The Vancouver Island Mountain Sports Centre is available, about $26 per person.
I'm staying at Seal Bay campground: hot showers, laundry, grass tent sits, trout pond, fireplaces. Lots of the usual hotels, but it is summer.

Bargain: Team entry fee will include individual race entry. Fee is cheap! TBA
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Lister Farrar

Re: BC Champs Individual and Team Time Trial, July 20-21, Co

Post by Lister Farrar »

Re accommodations, Seal Bay camp ground has lots of sites for both tents and rvs that weekend, but you should book direct. Theresa, 250 339 1837. Mention my name and Tripleshot Cycling Club and she will group us together.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
stevierooks

Post by stevierooks »

I am so in!!

Camping and biking with my bike Peeps? Getting to introduce my long suffering partner to your own 'bike tolerent' friends and family in a camping/event setting? Team Time Trial sharing the pain of the burn?

Looking to be in male40 or cat 3-4 team. Just want to represent well. (actually I'd like to win :D)

Rooks
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

Some inspiration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gNT05CMshQ

Check your calendars and then make room for it. The idea is to make this an event - the camping should be as much fun as the racing.

Consider matching booties, sun glasses, handlebar tape, tires - something to enhance the TTT spirit.

JT
Jimmy49

Post by Jimmy49 »

I'd certainly be interested in joining up with some other's for a TTT. (50 yr/old male, cit license)
I may even have access to a nice TT bike so at least I'll look fast.
mfarnham

Post by mfarnham »

Even if you can't make Comox...

I went out for TTT interval training this morning, and it was a great workout and great fun. Even though I probably can't make Comox, I'll keep showing up for the training because it's excellent practice for precision group riding, for grabbing a fast-moving wheel, and for pushing yourself to hang in there when the going gets tough. I learned that sometimes you can feel completely gutted and ready to drop off the back and yet push yourself to hang in there and recover and finish the interval (especially if someone like Sig puts in an extra long pull to give the group its legs back!).

Oh, and I'm generally a B2 rider, so this isn't some A's-only exercise.

Thanks to Lister and the others this morning!

Martin
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Some great training happening these last couple of weeks. Thanks to everyone who has jumped in.

Here's an update on teams. (Includes some riders from other clubs i know of looking for riders.)

(We will find you a place if you want to ride. and we need YOU to win the club overall! Every finisher counts.)

Youth teams:

u13 girls: Sarah, + Kelly's Kids triathletes?. Might ride u15 with Jess from Comox.
u13 boys: can ride also with the girls. Sarah was second overall against the boys at the BC youth champs.
u15 boys: Lockie, Ethan, + Isaac from Comox, + need one more
u15 girls:
U17 girls: Heard Jess from Comox and Rachel might be riding and looking for teammates
U17 boys: Mark and James Grant, need two team mates.
U19 boys: Oliver, Jay, Chris M and Jordan Duncan from Comox/Russ Hays. Chris H is injured, but suggested Jordan. Thanks Chris!
U19 girls: Brenna's riding in a cat 3, 4 team

Adult teams

cat 1,2 women: Anika?, +?
Cat 1, 2 men: Bryson, + 3 colleagues from Fort Steet
cat 3,4 women: Brenna, and three of Jenn, Allie, Katie C., and Crystal T.
cat 3,4 men: Stephane?
30+ women:
30+ men: Curran is interested. Hooked by one workout. Others?
40+ women: 4 of Paula, Kate, Kristin, Louise JP, Wendy G., Shawn M
40+ men: Pete Lawless wants to ride, so does Rooks. 2 more?
50+ men: Sig, John T., Ritchie, Chris M, Lister. Dave also wants to ride. Two teams?
50+ women: actually the 50+ women are powering the 40+ team, with Louise, Shawn, and Wendy. But two 40+ teams is fine too.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Registration link: It's kind of hard to find searching on CCN unless you spell it exactly the same way.

http://reg.ccnbikes.com/index.php/event ... mpionships

Deadline for pre-entry (and to get on the preliminary start list Friday night at 8 ) is Thursday at midnight. Late entry is available, but you will start in order of registration.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
joannafox

Post by joannafox »

The course map is now on the TS website. Click on the map to enlarge. And the registration link has been corrected.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Check out the cool medal art by TS r Brent S. :
Attachments
image.jpg
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Update:
For safety reasons the courses and distances have changed slightly for this weekend.

ITT:
For paras, U17 and U19 girls, 16 km, not 20km. For u19 boys and adults 32km, not 40km.

TTT:
u13 and u15, 16 km, u17 and u19 women 32km, junior men and adults 48km.

Basically all races are multiples of the 16 km dove creek loop, with start and finish near burns road (the road the hall is on), and all warmup and warm down on burns road.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)