The "Chili 200"

Moderator: mfarnham

John D

The "Chili 200"

Post by John D »

Do randonneur brevets count as races? I certainly think so!

A group of about 30 intrepid riders set out at 7:00am this morning for the 2013 "Chili 200". TSC was represented by Mark Ford, Barton, Chris Marshall, and me. Apparently Anika and Bryson started late, after Sylvan's former East German coach, Dieter von Lawless, made them do interval training beforehand. :shock:

The route consisted of two trips out the peninsula to Lands End, interspersed with a spin back down Cordova Bay and Uplands into Oak Bay. There were four "control" stops where each rider had his/her route-card time-stamped to document their progress. Barton and I arrived first at Control Station #1, after 66km (fueled mainly by Barton's need for a pee). I don't care what anyone says, I'm still counting this as TSC's first 1-2 finish of the season. :wink:

We eventually got separated from Mark and Chris and did the rest of the first 140kms with a group of 6 others. Barton suggested trying to orchestrate one of Lister's chase drills but decided against it. After two hours of trying to impose some sort of basic order and teamwork on the group we gave up. Apparently Homo randonneurensis is a rather solitary species. :wink:

The last 60kms were much less fun. The only thing that kept us going (aside from the promised bowl of chili) was the nifty pin that we each got for completing the ride. Final stats: 203kms, average speed 26km/h, total rolling time 7h:48m. With control stops it ended up taking about 30 minutes more. I expect the others will chime in with their own reports.

J.
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
Anika

Re: The "Chili 200"

Post by Anika »

Well, I think I speak for both Bryson and I when I say that today was AWESOME! Definitely gonna be doing some more of these. Congrats to all the badasses that were out there with me. Our total was 251 km but we had mini eggs so it was all good :D
barton bourassa

Post by barton bourassa »

200 K. Here I sit, stretching, trying to recover, rehydrating with some really good gin!!
I have ridden master's races, the Whistler Gran Fondo with intensity, the Ryder ride to the max, run marathons. But this 200 K was the most intense activity physically and mentally that I have ever done. By 110 K I was seriously considering going home. Then I thought about the pin! The 200 K Randonneur pin! For the next 40 K it was just mind. I just kept pedalling, focusing on the rider in front, longing for the next down hill, dreading the next up hill. We hit the final check point in Sydney knowing we still had Landsend, for the second time! I tell you, it was a good thing John was there. Not sure if I would have baled or not if I was on my own.

This was by far the toughest physical thing I have done. I could not imagine doing the 300s and 600s that Mark takes part in. A big thanks to John and a thanks and way to go for Mark! I would definitely do this again. 200, no more!!! If you are looking to sharpen your mental toughness, try one! Next one is April 6. A good tuneup for Sardinia?!
Barton Bourassa
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

John D wrote:Do randonneur brevets count as races? I certainly think so!
I think they like to say no, they're not, but they are.
John D wrote:Sylvan's former East German coach, Dieter von Lawless, made them do interval training beforehand. :shock:
Um, that's not his name. And while he is no longer in jail he is not at this time permitted to engage in coaching activities or communicate in any way with athletes. So I think you completely made up that story. Or used embellishment techniques on a real story.

I did one of these rides once, 200 km that I think they called the Tour of Greater Victoria. I ended up riding the whole thing with Ken Bonner and the last 50 km were just horrific. 300 km is probably realistic - it is the distance of Milano-Sanremo after all so it should be achievable by any cyclist - but those 400 km+ rides are a different world. Bordeaux-Paris was 600 km but it was a bit odd, with derny pacing, etc, and was scrapped for pros after 1988.

Ya, there it is, way back in 2002: http://www.randonneurs.bc.ca/results/02 ... vi_su.html

These are quality events and riding 200 km is always highly recommended.