No food + no H2O + hills = Bonk!

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

stevierooks

No food + no H2O + hills = Bonk!

Post by stevierooks »

I had to peel off the group and refuel at Millstream Tim Hortons today

Next time I won't forget my water bottle on the kitchen counter and maybe I should stick some gummy bears to my bike frame too (seems to work for Ritchie :P )

Rooks
John D

Re: No food + no H2O + hills = Bonk!

Post by John D »

Hey Rooks;

Given that we often seem (unexpectedly) to end up going longer on Sundays these days, I've started bringing my "bento box" to hold extra food. I have an extra one if you're interested:

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping ... tegory=269

J.
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
EricS

Post by EricS »

I was saved by the gas station stop today. I wasn't planning on riding 105km, so the refuel stop was awesome.

Also, John and Barton did a great job of keeping the pace just right. Fun ride today. Thanks.
Eric Simonson
MDAWSON

Post by MDAWSON »

I hear you Steve. I ran out of water after Prospect Lake. Almost bonked on the ride home, that was a good, tough hills ride for sure. 118km for me. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!!

mike.
stevierooks

Post by stevierooks »

Ya, I am seeing the rides getting a little longer and a faster now that the good weather is happening. I learned another lesson yesterday.

I found Sunday's ride seemed extra organized and diciplined. Yea to the comradery! Love seeing those nice bikes coming out too!

Triple Shot is looking good this spring!!

Rooks
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

I've always found that there's not much that can be done to fix a real bonking situation once it's happening, but if you ride through it and recover for a couple of days you'll be stronger than before the bonk. I had a massive bonk in a 130 km ride a couple of weeks ago. I just rode slowly through it for the last 30 km and then a few days later I was able to go almost 30 km farther at a harder effort with even less "fueling". I think we're all doing pretty low mileage realistically. If you're not doing 800 km a week I honestly don't think you need a big buffet on every ride. Or very many goops and crap. More fitness usually does the trick for me. YMMV. My attitude is probably kind of old school and influenced by controversial eastern bloc training methods. But I do think it still works best. I think occasional long rides to the bonking point on limited "fueling" are essential to the attainment of massive and huge levels of fitness.
katew

Post by katew »

^^

Here endeth the lesson of the Disciple of Bob Reid, Old-School-Tough-Guy

Noa's nudging us toward less-fuelled steady outings, but I'll do a whole lot to avoid a bonk. A whole lot. The misery is profound. I remember sitting on a curb, weeping*, when I miscalculated effort late in a marathon training cycle a few years ago, and the only thing, other than a stretcher, that could have gotten me off that curb was the angel who pulled over on her bike and made me drink her bottle of sports gak.

When Noa starts assigning more of these "start-on-empty" workouts, I'm going to have to trust the process implicity and follow the day's pacing orders to the letter.

*I have more to say on this subject but will save it for another post
kateweber.com
John D

Post by John D »

sylvan wrote:My attitude is probably kind of old school and influenced by controversial eastern bloc training methods.
And you used to go by Sylvia back then, right? :wink:

J.
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

Listen. I am tranquilo. I have nothing to fear. I have nothing to hide. I like my credibility. I think your accusations are fueled by hatred and jealousy. I'm sad for you. OK, bye for now.
sylvan

Re: Re: No food + no H2O + hills = Bonk!

Post by sylvan »

John D wrote:Given that we often seem (unexpectedly) to end up going longer on Sundays these days, I've started bringing my "bento box" to hold extra food
Oh yeah, btw, HTFU. :evil:
Anika

Post by Anika »

Coca cola, not the diet crap but the full sugar caffeine filled syrupy stuff. That and a gel and bonk be gone! Works for Bryson and I every time :)
Paul C.

Post by Paul C. »

Righton Anika and Bryson ..... forget all the other above B.S. and sillyness about training on empty..
200 to 300 calories an hour ,thats 800 to 1200 calories on your 4 hr ride folks! No kidding ....
and nothing wrong with stopping at 7-11 and Tim Hortons( ask your club Rando Expert)

The only other thing I will add is that after 34 years of road racing(running)and Triathlons since 1983, 3 years ago I did my best Marathon in 15 years, training with Mars bars and Anika's favorite drink.
See YOU at the Finish Line. pc
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

Disgraceful modern softitude. HTFU. Go meet the Man with the Hammer. He'll H you TF up. I'm at 666 km (DOH!!!) and 24 hours in the last 7 days. If I get to that totally arbitrary 800 km on the rolling 7-day I'll allow myself half a scone from Starbucks on rides between five and seven hours. Or a BLT at the Andice General Store. Yum. And maybe even 50/50 half-sweet Snapple iced tea and water dans les bidons if I feel really wimpy.

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Rule #91 // No Food On Training Rides Under Four Hours.
This one also comes from the Apostle, Johan Museeuw, who said to @frank: “Yes, no food on rides under four hours. You need to lose some weight.” Or, as Fignon put it, sometimes, when we train, we simply have to go out to meet the Man with the Hammer. The exception is, of course, hard rides over two hours and races. Also, if you’re planning on being out for more than four hours, start eating before you get hungry. This also applies to energy drink supplements.
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.