Bill's "journey"

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Chris Watt

Post by Chris Watt »

Hey Sarah,

Thanks for the update on Bill...yeah, the pool pass probably does make more sense. Has Bill ever done much pool-running? It's an incredibly great way to rehab off any leg injury that prevents weight-bearing- it'll preserve both his CV fitness but also regain leg strength without putting the repair at risk. And since you're head is out of the water you can yak with the person next to you- perfect for Bill!
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

dreeves wrote:Bill is actually a pretty good swimmer, due to many years hangin' with shhhhh....Triathletes!

Perhaps trying to change his stroke following the TMI swim plan is a challenge that he may not be up to at the moment. If was a total dead weight in the water with no real swimming background, I would say go for it.

How about a year pass to a rec centre of his choice?

I know he and Sarah have a pass for weights at the Selkirk Rowing Club Gym, but perhaps a yearlong pass at either Crystal (close to work) or Esquimalt (close to home) where there is both a pool and a gym.

dylan
There's a pass that gives access to all the municipal rec centres, in case Bill and Pookey want to "frolic" away from regular prying eyes:
http://www.fitinfitness.ca/_pdf/regiona ... ss2009.pdf
20 x $20 =would about cover it.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Chris Watt wrote:Hey Sarah,
And since you're head is out of the water you can yak with the person next to you- perfect for Bill!
Only when he's not on the front, right? :wink:
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
dreeves

Post by dreeves »

I think Chris' advice about the pool running is spot on. Bill suffered a lot from shin splints in the past and used to pool run quite a bit.

I think Lister's idea about the "all rec pass" is a great idea. I'm willing to collect the money and purchase the pass if all are in favour. Lister said $20 X 20 should cover it. I think the pass is $420.

We can talk more at coffee tomorrow.

Dylan
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Thanks for the idea of the all rec pass Dyl - that would be great. Here is today's update

Bill is doing well and touched by all the phone calls and emails. Thank you all! Today was another good day. Bill was a little more tired today but that was because he was up and out of bed a couple of times. He is able to get out of bed with my help - I have to move his right leg for him but he does all the rest himself. He can then stand up with the help of a walker and walked about 10-15 steps today after dinner. I had to follow behind to make sure that the ladies in his room did not look at his butt :) It was great to see Bill up and moving with more confidence than yesterday. He had his race-face on and the determination was obvious!

The surgeon came by this morning, said that the CT scan looked good and he was very pleased with the surgery. He also thought that Bill could get out as early as tomorrow afternoon but the nurses said we have to have a consult with a physio and occupational therapist before we can leave. So, we are hoping they will come by tomorrow. The request is in, it is now the waiting game.

But, it looks like Bill will be out by Sat if not tomorrow. Personally, I think that some fresh air and a quiet house will help him heal faster. One lady in his room has night terrors so sleep is tough :) She thought she was trapped in a basement the other night and called her son on her cell phone. Next thing, security is looking for her and people are moving about. Not too restful!

I apologize to all of you who I did not call back or email back individually. And, I hope that you will not give up or stop calling and emailing!

That is it for today ...

Sarah
Roland

Post by Roland »

I don't think anybody has mentioned Cycling BC insurance yet, for breaking his pelvis Bill gets..... $165!

List of payouts: http://www.cyclingbc.net/files/CCA%20In ... m%2009.pdf
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hey - any Dr's feel like doing a house call to remove some stitches on Bill's elbow on the 20th? I am sure that you can bill BC Health for it and a bottle of wine from us :) If so, give me a call on my cell and I will give you the address!
Plawless

Post by Plawless »

let me do it...PUUUUUUHHLEEEAAASEEE!!!! I'm sort of kinda like a doctor ... (ok except for the medical knowledge etc but I would be happy to help!)
Roland

Post by Roland »

I could do it, my brother is a doctor and we look very similar. Katie has taken stitches out of a dog before, between the two of us it should be no problem.
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"
Chris Watt

Post by Chris Watt »

Hey Sarah- I'd be happy to do it although I'm in Vancouver 20/21- so if later on Tuesday aft/evening is OK I'll swing by. Bottle of wine unnecessary but I may need a stiff drink just BEFORE removing the sutures- that kind of stuff really creeps me out. ;-)

Cheers,
Chris
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

I'm a doctor, and I've removed stitches from a human! But, still a long way down the list of most qualified in our group.

JT
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Well, with all of those wonderful offers .. I guess that Pete is the best bet - ha, ha, ha! Bill would be honoured if you would come out Chris W. We will text you and chat tomorrow.

All of your responses made Bill laugh and it is not the dilaudid ... real drug-free laughter!

Billy completed his first circuit around the kitchen today. He is already getting ready for the crits next year. He is willing to take on any competitors here in Colwood - all you need is a walker and one tough left leg.
Dolly

Post by Dolly »

Hey Sarah & Bill, if Chris W gets too drunk to do it let us know! Either Eric or myself are happy to help!
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Sarah wrote:Billy completed his first circuit around the kitchen today. He is already getting ready for the crits next year.
Just make sure he sticks to the inside on the corners; outside you can be taken down by others... :wink:
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
mlawless

Post by mlawless »

Bill,

I would be happy to help with the doctoring as well. I am more experienced with the delivery of newborns (Cyndi was in a hurry with Erin and there I was looking like Hawkeye Pierce hoping the boys wouldn't wake up and think I was killing their mother :shock: ) than with simple stitch removal but I also have the benefit of naval training in splicing, knots, bends and hitches. So if I cannot remove the stitches I can at least make them look pretty (either as a rope mat, or belt, or other intricate design). It could be a great conversation piece... :lol:

Michael