Winter/early spring training camp?

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

The Princess

Winter/early spring training camp?

Post by The Princess »

Is anyone planning to do a cycling training camp in the early new year?? I need something to keep me motivated through these dark, cold rainy mornings, and something warm and challenging to look forward to. Any groups going any where warm in Jan/Feb/March that I could join??

Thanks,
Lisa
sylvan

Re: Winter/early spring training camp?

Post by sylvan »

I think I'll be in Austin, TX for those three months. It's dry there that time of year - big bonus. It can be a bit cold, around freezing, in the AM. No biggie. Lots of great riding there. No mega climb like Lemmon, but tons of total elevation. I'm on my way there tonight, planning on a ride tomorrow.
katew

Post by katew »

I cannot say enough about The Cycling House in Tucson.

Great crew, great house, great food.

If I can scrape up the $ and the vacation time, I'll be back there in an instant.

Kate
kateweber.com
The Princess

Post by The Princess »

Thanks for the report on The Cycling House in Tucson, Kate. There's great cycling around that area and I'll definitely check those guys out. Thanks! Lisa P.S. Let me know if you do decide to go back - it's always more fun to go with someone else.
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

I haven't heard a bad word about riding in Tucson. I'm there now. Did a short ride up the lower slopes of Mt. Lemmon this morning. Great riding and the town seems like it would be easy to get used to. :smile: I'd be into a week here anytime after mid-January. Didn't get a chance to ride in Austin last week but I'll have a week or more there coming up and will report back on the riding scene.

View from mile 3 this morning:
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1352917858274.jpg
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

I've spent two more days in Tucson riding Mt. Lemmon and it is, for sure, the best place to ride, ever. So I think I'll come back for a week or a bit more in Jan/Feb, once I've burned off a bit of the bulbosity that has accumulated over the past few sadly sedentary months. My stats on teh Starvas for the rides down here are appalling, but at least I'm riding again so that's good.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Barb Bialokoz and I were discussing an idea of a camp at Death Valley in March. Quite a bit closer than Tucson, though if you're flying vs taking carloads down, not so much difference. 22 hours driving time, according to google maps, but the closest place with warmth. 80 degree days, 53 degree nights. http://gocalifornia.about.com/bl_dv_temp.htm

Tucson is 29-30 hours.

Could be budget with camping (below): (Barb and family have done this about 6 times)

or luxe here: http://www.furnacecreekresort.com/?gcli ... QgodgmgA2w

Campground and resort are in the same place, Furnace Creek. Barb's family swims at the resort when they camp.

We were thinking of including a bike fitting before going, and physiotherapist -lead stretching and strength training (BYO yoga mat) that you know you're supposed to do, but don't do unless a 6 foot muscular blond woman is glaring at you. :) And then assessment on rides, and fine tuning of your position.

And some organized rides/training, and mechanical support. I'm intrigued by the network of gravel roads for exploring, though paved roads are good and quiet for cycling. (Maybe a 'cross bike with two sets of tires?) Water support (ie midride) also.

If you're interested in more info, let me know.
Attachments
campsite at furnace creek.jpg
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Jimmy49

Post by Jimmy49 »

Allison and I might be interested in this if it was a road cycle camp vs. Cyclecross. If I was to drive all that way to get to warm temps, may as well be on road bikes.
Cheers,
The Princess

Post by The Princess »

I'd be interested for sure, although I am more of a five star camper... but I could stay on my own and join everyone else for all the other stuff - you know, the drinking and eating, oh and the riding :) I'm interested in going anywhere that is reasonably close, reliably warm, and where I can ride my bike without four layers of clothes on in the dark! I'm in!
Lisa