Willis Point hillclimb

Moderator: mfarnham

Stéphane Tran

Willis Point hillclimb

Post by Stéphane Tran »

It was a beautiful day for the last race of the VCL season, but there were only 18 riders out for the hillclimb, as opposed to 40+ for the Observatory last Sunday. Brent Scofield, Jim Lucas and I were there bearing the TS colours. Somehow I broke a spoke riding out to Willis Point, but luckily for me Michael from IRC was kind enough to lend me a rear wheel for the race, so crisis averted. The Willis Point course is only 200 metres longer than the Observatory, but it feels much longer due to to a steep middle section that just grinds on and on. Anyway, I finished in 7:24 beating my previous PB by 28 seconds. I finished 1st in the Bs and 5th overall behind a quartet of A-grade mountain goats. John Rogers set a new course record of 6:40 :shock: .
Congratulations to Brent for placing 2nd overall in the Bs for the season. Not bad for a first season of racing! He was tied on points with Jag, but he (Jag) pulled a Schleck and dropped his chain on the climb to finish behind Brent.
AlW

Re: Willis Point hillclimb

Post by AlW »

Nicely done Stephane for the 2 HC wins. You can't stop riding those hills though. Next years Neild Road HC is only 9 months away and you have to be prepared. I figure you should be able to get at least 300 Observatory repeats in by then!

Congrats also to Brent for an outstanding season and overall placing. We'll have to try and help you get on the top step next year.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Yes! Very good efforts from both Stephane and Brent.
Not much to report otherwise as the season ending event wasn"t well attended - there were only 5 "C's".
Young Erik Diertens had a great finishing time with yours truly 25 second's back. Richie and John Wilcox didn't show so the points I gained should be enough for a 4th overall year placing but was anti-climatic. Still good keeping the TS jerseys on the leaderboard especially given the late start in the race season.
On to winter training to see if I can get in there to help with the B race contenders next year.
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

Fifth overall is amazing Stephan - sure, not as many showed up, but it's the strong guys that attend that last race. And ending the season with two wins in a row is great too, looks good for you and for Triple Shot. WAIT. I take it all back - beat me by one point overall! You &%$#! :wink:

Well done,

JT
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Congrats Stephane and Brent!! Fantastic finish to the year, so many nice wins, but extra sweet to pick up the last two wins! Can't wait for next year!