Poll About Obligations of Cycling BC

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Who should be responsible to run Provincial Championships?

1. Cycling BC
94%
2. Individual Clubs
6%

Total votes: 33

Plawless

Poll About Obligations of Cycling BC

Post by Plawless »

I would like to know what you folks think about the role of Cycling BC. I will try to phrase the question in a neutral fashion but I intend to take the results to Cycling BC to show a clear picture (if there is one) as to what you, CBC members feel your PSO should be doing.

My basic question is whether you feel that Cycling BC should be repsonsible for ensuring that a Provicinal Championship be run annually in each discipline of Cycling for which it is responsible or if it should be left to the clubs to run or not run as they see fit?
DIStrasser

Re: Poll About Obligations of Cycling BC

Post by DIStrasser »

This is a wise poll. I was involved with Rowing BC and Rowing Canada and it would be absolutely unheard of to allow a club to arbitrarily cancel a Provincial/National event (save for an Act of God or Lightning Storm)! The reason being, that while the club may host it, the event itself would be fully run by the Provincial or National association.
Brian S

Post by Brian S »

Peter, I don't think it lies exclusively with one or the other. In swimming (BC) clubs take on the initiative to host the championships with potential benefit and risk. SwimBC makes the decision, based on an RFP type process, as well as geographic considerations, such as where the championship was previously held. Swim BC also handles sanctioning, helps with officials etc. The sheer size of the event (800 swimmers for age group champs and big clubs with lots of parent slaves aka volunteers) mitigates some of the risk, and of course carries forward the momentum from year to year that it is a good thing for a club to do. As cycling remains relatively small, this is a very different dynamic, and having a designated championship may not be an easy event to host, therefore consideration might be given to a race series and point approach.
Tutto il rosa della vita
norman marcy

Post by norman marcy »

Cross Country skiing have similar set ups
There is a regional rotation for events and clubs within a region can bid to host.
An overseeing official is dispatched to help as technical delegate from the provincial or national org to ensure standards are met. The provincial and national organizations have event organizing guidelines that if followed usually result in great quality events that folks want to participate in.

As in many things in life advance planning is the key, Mid season decisions leave no time for good preparation on the part of clubs and membership gets dazed confused and frustrated and participants are hesitant to travel when clubs are not putting on good events.