Friday AM ride Aug 3rd

Moderator: mfarnham

Josh.E

Friday AM ride Aug 3rd

Post by Josh.E »

Great ride this morning in the A group. Fast too. I forgot to start my garmin until right when we turned off shelbourne, but had us at a 40.6km/h average from there to the end of beacon.
Bryson is a powerhouse. Sylvan has obviously been putting some training miles in as well and was utilizing his rear derailleur very effectively this morning.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Andrew

Re: Friday AM ride Aug 3rd

Post by Andrew »

Ridiculous :shock:
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

The second B ride this morning was close to perfection and worth describing, rather than letting it slip into the haze of hundreds of forgotten rides:
  • Great conditions, sun just coming up at the start, 12 degrees, single layer kit, arm-warmers optional.
    15-16 riders, a healthy female contingent, diversity in ability but I never once heard "steady up", everyone seemed motivated to keep tight and together.
    A beautiful pace line on Blenkinsop, utterly smooth.
    The return of Stormin' Norman's not entirely unwelcome didacticism.
    Lots of deer and construction zones, but no close calls (that I saw).
    Dappled golden light through Mt. Doug, spectacular ocean-mirrored sunlight just before the Marina, the usual stunning golf course vista.
    Friendly, interesting conversation, including a casual investigation into the meaning of art, truth and beauty.
    Good spirited pace from King George, everyone together to the Park.
    Four fast laps, a group of 5 attacking half-way through the third, Mike A.'s recovery after sidewalling the curb at speed, pushing 50 by the zoo.
    Break getting caught, 9 or 10 within sight of the sprint.
    Drooling all over my thighs.
    Geoff utterly shelling me on the final rise up to Douglas, feeling like I left it all on the road.
    Finally getting a tasty breakfast of oatmeal, eggs and croissant (thanks, Karl!)
Feeling grateful. :D
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

Ouch. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/206137116

39.7 km/h from the start.
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

Great report Rolf

The A ride was similar:

Great conditions, sun just coming up at the start, 12 degrees, single layer kit, arm-warmers optional.
15-16 riders, a healthy female contingent, diversity in ability but I never once heard "steady up", everyone seemed motivated to hurt eachother and attack.
A beautiful pace line on Blenkinsop, utterly hard to pull through
Peters not entirely unwelcome didacticism.
Lots of deer and construction zones, but no close calls (that I saw).
Tunnel visioned single point of light through Mt. Doug, spectacular ocean-mirrored sunlight on the wheel I was staring at in front of me with my head down just before the Marina, the usual stunning golf course scamble to get back on after the attacks by the oak bay hotel
Very little conversation, including a casual investigation into what to do about brysons attack ("UP! UP!")
Good spirited pace from King George, with a trail of broken dreams (as quentin so eloquently put it) by the park
6 fast laps, a group of 3 attacking half-way through the 4th,
Drooling in general
Bryson counterattacking me every time I surged,
Sylvan attacking me and Bryson with half a lap to go.
Finally getting a tasty espresso at Discovery.

:)
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Kevin F

Post by Kevin F »

I was a bit late so I had to TT it down Shellboure to catchup. It's kinda weird joining a group moving that fast. It was noticeably fast coming from my vantage point at the top of Ash.

I followed John (condo group) in a two man break only to watch Bryson, Josh and Syvan catch us and counter attack a lap later leaving me for dust. :( But somehow Strava is giving me a KOM for the ride :)

Good fun all around!!! Cheers. K
trevor

Post by trevor »

Great ride Gents!! Jon and Kevin's go put me in a world of hurt and just couldn't bridge at that point. Painful indeed. I haven't done a Friday ride in a while and this morning's effort reminded me of how awesome it is.
And was anyone else impressed with Bryson getting his leg warmers off mid ride? Wow. Put that on your resume Bryson!!
Cheers to whoever got the coffee as well.
shawnc

Post by shawnc »

The A ride this morning showed me the dark underbelly of three weeks of cycle touring. It’s great strength training hauling 50 lbs of gear on a steel frame mountain bike down the hilly Pacific Coast, but it doesn’t do much for your high-end aerobic fitness.

I started having a hard time pulling through after the Oak Bay marina and my resolve eventually collapsed on the second climb of KGT. I fell off the back and slinked home with my ego in ruins and my lungs hurting badly.

Thanks to everyone for a painful ride this morning. It’s good to be back.
jj12

Post by jj12 »

Great report gents, our b group caught some leftover A's after king George which resulted in a high pace around beacon hill laps and since I haven't been out in a month I felt ok to keep up until the sprint lap lol it was good to push it though.
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

sylvan wrote:Ouch... 39.7 km/h from the start.
42.0 km/h from the top of Ash!