Canada Hurricane Ridge

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

Stéphane Tran

Canada Hurricane Ridge

Post by Stéphane Tran »

Now that the Tour de Victoria is done, the next big ride is the traditional Canada Day Hurricane Ridge ride!
I am not sure how many people will come this year, but I would imagine at least 15.
We catch the 6:10AM Coho Ferry to Port Angeles and usually catch the early afternoon ferry back (check the Coho Ferry website for fares). The climb up Hurricane Ridge (1600m) itself takes between 1 1/2 and 3 hours, and on a clear day the view from the summit is spectacular. There is a $5 US fee to enter Olympic National Park and I recommend getting 1-day travel insurance (even a short visit to a US hospital for a minor injury can cost $$$).
So, who's in?
Paul C.

Re: Canada Hurricane Ridge

Post by Paul C. »

Weather permitting, [lets hope it permits!] I plan to go . I talked with Bill from Procity at the bike Fest. and they expect over 50 people to go. I heard there is even some kind of award for 1st place man and woman, which I won t be going for this year.

Ferries coming back are at 12:45 ,which most Hurricane riders take and at 5:20p, which I would do if anyone else is into a longer ride and a leasurly lunch ??? pc
AndreaR

Post by AndreaR »

I'm interested in going, though it will be weather permitting for me. It'll be my first time so I'm not expecting to get there quickly. I'd be interested in being leisurely with you Paul - lunch sounds good.
mlawless

Post by mlawless »

I am in as well. This year (finally) all my family is away (i.e. they have abandoned me) on Canada Day. I plan to plod very slowly up the hill given my allergies (to going up any incline) but am looking forward to it.

Michael
shawnc

Post by shawnc »

I might be in too, weather (and wife) permitting.

If there's time I think I would try and do it twice, but if it means I would have to take the 5:20 ferry I would probably reconsider.
Kevin F

Post by Kevin F »

I'm going :)
John D

Post by John D »

I'm thinking of going, too, but I'm also trying to think of a reason to do something that's, well....flatter. ;-)

J.
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

I might be game for this. Weather report is looking good (this minute) for Monday....
John D

Post by John D »

Jimmy wrote:I might be game for this. Weather report is looking good (this minute) for Monday....
July 1st is on Sunday. The stat holiday is on Monday (the 2nd). Which day is the Hurricane Ridge Ride? Sorry, but I'm confused, having not done this ride before.

Thanks,
John
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

That's a heck of a good question. It was just my assumption we were talking about Monday....?
mlawless

Post by mlawless »

The Ride is on SUNDAY JULY 1st (Not just Canada Day but also a celebration of the centennial of the War of 1812) - so let's invade (nicely, just like Canadians should).
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Just bought my coho tickets.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Wish I could go.. will go later in the summer
John D

Post by John D »

Marcus wrote:Just bought my coho tickets.
Me too. HR parking lot webcam shows people wearing parkas, and some residual snow!
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

Does anyone know if there is a car going over? It would be great to be able to stash some stuff (warm gloves, jacket etc.) in a vehicle for the descent.
AlW

Post by AlW »

The home office requires attention, so I'm out.

Have a good one.