Western VICTORY!!

Moderator: mfarnham

Jimmy

Western VICTORY!!

Post by Jimmy »

TS "C" pack managed a big upset last night. Huge efforts by Simon, Vanesa and Richie. The balance of us were mixed in the field enough to confuse and keep the other teams from organizing at the cruicial time.
O2 and Procity both had 6 or 7 per team and had a strategy of dominating the front of the pack. While TS didn't have any plans formally, Simon's organization from deep in the field was exactly the right combo. While a few of us sat in and worked at positioning, Simon threw a lone breakaway fairly early on but nobody gave it much thought. However, when he and Vanesa broke again in the late stages, the front of the field of O2 just let them go without much more than a quickening of the pace. Perfectly timed, Richie went for a bridge up and the remaining TS'ers worked around towards the front of the pack. Pretty sure the other guys had no idea what was planned and by the time they figured out that our break group was seriously challenging, it was too late to catch a hard charging Richie who took the win. ALSO, let's give a big Congrat's as this was (I think) Richie's first race!!! Big cheers to Simon for being the TS S-disturber!! :)

We need to get everyone that's interested in racing next Wed @ Latoria to try and meet up at Friday coffee. A managed team straegy for that race would be mandatory as the other teams seemed a little irritated and will be working at not letting things go sideways again. Maybe we could solicit Lister for some advice on plans?
Paul C.

Re: Western VICTORY!!

Post by Paul C. »

As a spectator at WSW ,Wednesday night, it was " a Night to remember" for Tripleshot C's...Big congrats to Vanessa, Simon P. ,Jimmy and of course Richey.....and all other Tripleshot team members. See you all for more race practice Fri a.m. .....On to Caleb and Latoria races , as mentioned above by Jimmy! pc
spearson

Post by spearson »

The C race started a week ago over a bitter post-ride cup of coffee. Jimmy mentioned that although he was enjoying the VCL races, the team tactics of O2 were starting to get old. "They control the whole race, and they are really strong in the final sprint." He said, "No one else is able to contest and I end up fighting to get around maybe one or two O2 riders in the back." The VCL at the Western Speedway we decided was going to be different.

During the warm-up we all joked about figuring out some team tactics. I told everyone to get out of the wind and to stay off the front. I had an idea how we could to bust up the O2 guys, but there was no point in getting too detailed because as the race changes so must the tactics. The first lap saw the O2 guys take control of the front and they successfully countered every move. The pace was high and the group was frenetic, everyone was fighting for position and taking somewhat unconventional lines through the corners. The TSers looked calm, no one was on the front and the ride started to stabilize.

By the 5 minute mark, the pace had slowed. Wait, that's not quite right. By the 5 minute mark, the O2s had made the pace pedestrian. Time to shake things up. I harnessed my inner Rabien and hammered away from the group going into corner 3. For some reason the group had really been slowing around that bend and by the time I hit the start line I had almost half a straightaway without too much real effort. I immediately eased off and let the group pull me back in. Pointless attack #1, but suddenly the race was a good 5km/h faster. All the TS riders had sat back letting the O2s reel me in. All were still in good position and no one looked taxed at all.

Pointless attack #2 came 3 laps later when I let a slight gap open around a corner (I really do need to practice cornering) and I was pushed out in the wind. "Well since I'm doing more work than I should anyways", I thought "it's time to attack". The response was quicker this time but there were a few jerseys that were not O2 coloured starting to see some time near the front of the race. As soon as I was pulled back an unattached rider launched pointless attack #3. Halfway is a little early to make a move, but this guy was putting all his eggs in an early getaway and it was sticking. Though people seemed content to let him ride himself into the ground, after a few laps the peloton started slowing. This was not good for TS, the O2 guys were recovering and they would certainly get the breakaway before the end. They were in control of the race once more.

Some infant from Trek Pro City (some of these young riders are really starting to make me feel old) yelled "power to the front!" I'm pretty sure he had heard that one in "Chasing Legends", but his reading of the situation was dead on. I went to the front and took a pull. Either the O2 guys would speed up to close the gap or risk a 2 rider breakaway. I closed most of the distance, then pulled off letting the O2s finish the job. The pace was high and the group was showing a real potential of fracturing. I went to the back. Ritchie and Chris were sitting in with the O2 riders, Jimmy was well positioned on the inside, just behind him on the outside was Kristen, and tucked nicely in the back was Vanessa. Less than 5 minutes to go and everyone in TS looked fresh. I on the other hand was starting to feel like the energizer bunny - full of battery acid.

A quick chat with Vanessa and some last minute planning - Launch with 3 to go, hold on and try to get her away. Dee from Pro City overheard, but if we did get free, that would be another set of legs for Vanessa to work with. No sooner were the words out of my mouth than we were at 3 on the scoreboard. I pulled wide with Vanessa locked on my wheel. Showtime - I punched it to get us away but it was too quick and I lost the train. OK pointless attack #4 and then regroup and try to line someone up for the bunch sprint.

I was dropping back with 1 lap to go, when a voice yelled "OK Simon let's do this". "Do what?" I thought as the fire moved over my knees and into my quads. I looked over my shoulder and saw two things: the front had fractured, and someone in argyle had bridged. I had no clue who it was but the colour was right, time to "GO!". The "Go" turns out to be more of a "Meh!" and after a single straighaway I was gassed. I pulled off the front and saw for the first time that it was Ritchie who made the jump. I hung onto his wheel for a moment but it became clear that I was not going to recover enough to take another pull.

Plan B. I got off his wheel, allowing him to ride unhindered and slowly let the pack catch up. One last turn and then the straightaway. I slowed the pace of the chase group and was still sitting on the front, blocking the inside line. As the line started to move around me I matched speed, forcing everyone wide for the entire turn but also emptying my tank in the process - I would not be contesting anything now. As we hit the final straightaway, Ritchie had a huge gap, but the pack was closing in FAST. I yelled at him, hoping that any encouragement might spur him to get just one more revolution on the pedals. This was going to be close.

Ritchie won by a wheel length. Glory and riches to TS.

The Americanos on Friday will still have the slight taste of victory and I am sure we will start talking about tactics for the next race. The dragon is beheaded, yet somewhere the guys from O2 are probably on a patio drinking decaffeinated tea (what else would our nemesis drink) quietly organizing, getting stronger, and smarter. The next race won't be as easy, but no one said that racing would be.

TRIPLESHOT!
katew

Post by katew »

This race report deserves a place in some Hall of Fame somewhere.
kateweber.com
beegull

Post by beegull »

A report from inside the B race break: http://blog.commonvelocipede.com/?p=179
Paula

Post by Paula »

Way to go!! And yes, what a race report.
Perhaps another calling for you Simon!

I wish I had been a part of it, but not sure if I would have been able to do all that thinking/strategizing at the same time as riding. Wow, this is a complicated thing this cycle racing.