Saturday ,MAY 26 GIRO, Live 6:30 a.m. at Pro City/Trek store

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

Paul C.

Saturday ,MAY 26 GIRO, Live 6:30 a.m. at Pro City/Trek store

Post by Paul C. »

Pro City will be open at 6:30 a.m. on Saturday for the Giro-- LIVE...I went by after the 3shot Friday ride and it is open to all. .... However,they are closed on Sunday for the final TT stage and ,possibly some major Victoria cycling-community celebrations.

Any suggestions for a place to watch Sundays final GIRO- stage live, as a group????I believe it will be on at 6:30a.m.
Lister Farrar

Re: Saturday ,MAY 26 GIRO, Live 6:30 a.m. at Pro City/Trek s

Post by Lister Farrar »

Oak Bay rec is open at 7 Sunday mornings. Their cafe/restaurant has a big screen tv and seating for more than 100. I just spoke to them and they have no other bookings, and have the advantage of a restaurant open then. They are calling back to see if we could get in early. Anyone interested?
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

I very likely will be at OB Rec. In pink. Can we get pitchers at that hour?

It looks from the official schedule like the first rider goes down the ramp in Milano at 4:35 a.m. and the arrivo ultimo atleta (likely Rodriquez, but who knows what may happen on the Stelvio tomorrow? :P) is at 8:15 a.m. PDT.

The average predicted TT time per rider is 35:18 (at an average of, gulp, 51 km/h). And barring disaster, Ryder will be among the final few starters. So I'd say getting in there by 7:00 would be ample time.

Unless they're doing pitchers...
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Of course it will be after noon...in Italy.

Maybe grappa in the coffee?
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Lister: if you're talking to them, could you make sure they receive SportsNet One (SN1) on one of the following channels:

Telus Optik TV: 106 (SD) or 677 (HD); or
Shaw: 159 (SD) or 225 (HD)

Or, as a last resort, RDS (French TSN - their coverage only starts at 7:30 and likely won't be live since it runs until 9:00):

Telus Optik: 410 (SD) or 448 (HD)
Shaw: 905

If they have a satellite subscription, instead of digital cable, I don't know where the heck it'd be, but I'm sure they'd get SN1HD.

As a cycling fan, I've been burned too many times assuming media availability. :? I'll probably bring my laptop, in any event, to increase the amount of information available to us during the crono.
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

They are showing it on the main sportsnet feed, channel 23 starts at 8am
Current Winter Gloating point amount - 16730 (and counting)
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Just checked. They have both shaw feeds, sd and hd.

Also they will open a bit early, 6:45.

The kitchen is NOT at full operation then. Muffins, toast, coffee, tea.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

have only missed 3 Saturday morning rides this year. I think tomorrow will make it 4. See you there............
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

This is a pretty exciting riconoscimento (in English) of tomorrow's queen stage: http://video.gazzetta.it/ex-pro-daniel- ... a54d5b5b8e

I was surprised to hear some of the teams referring to today's ride being harder than tomorrow. Sure, today had four ugly, ugly climbs inside the final 100 km. But only two of those climbs barely broke 2000m. Tomorrow has the Mortirolo* (max gradient 22%) and, when they hit the 200 km mark (which is where today's stage finished), they'll only be at Bagni di Bormio (1332m), just starting the steep part of the Stelvio, with 1400m to climb over the final 20 km to reach the Cima Coppi (2757m).

I've done some trekking in Nepal and 2400m was when things started to get wobbly. Also: performance at higher altitudes isn't necessarily a reflection of athletic or cycling ability. I could see the top six GC riders being all over the map on tomorrow's finish -- and they're only separated by 3:30. :shock:

*Interesting point about Basso and the Mortirolo: both times he's been the first one over it, he's won the Giro: 2006 (following a visit to Dr. Fuentes :evil: ) and 2010. But I think today may have shown the sun is setting on Ivan Il Terrible.
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

If you're bored you can actually cruise up the Stelvio on google street view, just search for Bormio Italy and zoom in on the yellow road heading north.
Current Winter Gloating point amount - 16730 (and counting)
John D

Post by John D »

Hi Lister...

Can you please confirm that we're talking SUNDAY morning at Oak Bay Rec? I ask because the thread started with talk of tomorrow at Pro City, then switched to talk of Oak Bay Rec on Sunday, and then switched back to Leftcoaster saying "See you tomorrow."

And yes, I know I will be teased mercilessly by Rolf and Dave if I show up to watch TV instead of riding my bike.

J.

P.S. There's a crazy rumour circulating about a TS contingent tackling the Stelvio en route to Sardinia next year.
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

John: your gibe about watching TV instead of riding prompted me to call the GM of OB Rec. She's making a few calls to confirm, but it sounds like we might be permitted to bring our bikes and trainers into the lounge on Sunday to ride the TT with Ryder!

I'll post once it's (hopefully) firmed up, but wouldn't it be a hoot to sweat along with the guy as he (maybe) wins the Giro? :D
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Darn. Various OB Rec managers have gone home for the weekend so they don't feel comfortable green-lighting bikes and trainers without more advance notice and prep. (One wonders how much bureaucracy is required to push a few tables to one side - but I know how these things work. :roll: )

However, they're generally very supportive of the idea and we should think about it for some of the Tour stages.

Guess we'll just have to sit back with pints instead...
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

John - not sure about whether it is Saturday or Sunday, but will be up watching from 7:00a.m. Saturday. My 37" is not a huge screen, but is big enough for 5 - 6 viewing angles. If you, Lister, Rolf and or anyone else wish to join me, let me know. Address is 1619 Warren Gardens in Fairfield.

David
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

John D wrote:Hi Lister...

Can you please confirm that we're talking SUNDAY morning at Oak Bay Rec? I ask because the thread started with talk of tomorrow at Pro City, then switched to talk of Oak Bay Rec on Sunday, and then switched back to Leftcoaster saying "See you tomorrow."

And yes, I know I will be teased mercilessly by Rolf and Dave if I show up to watch TV instead of riding my bike.

J.

P.S. There's a crazy rumour circulating about a TS contingent tackling the Stelvio en route to Sardinia next year.
I was only asking about Sunday, but I don't see why tomorrow wouldn't work too. They're not doing anything special for us besides the 15 minutes. See you there!
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Oh and by the way, the juniors are doing laps of the metchosin provincials circuit after, so i am still riding!
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

I'm hoping to ride to Duncan at 7 tomorrow to help my brother-in-law move. But I'll be at OB Rec on Sunday, for sure. Anyone want to meet at 6 Sunday to get a few kms in before we hit the lounge?
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

Rolf - I'm going long on Sunday early - may even start at 5:30 and will record the TT.
John D

Post by John D »

I hereby nominate this as the most confusing thread of the year. See you tomorrow. Or Sunday. Or both. Sigh.

J.
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
Paul C.

Post by Paul C. »

Oh my..look what I started!!! Lots of options this weekend.

I plan to......be at Cook st. Starbucks 6a.m.[Saturday]....hopefully with some B or C type riders, , watch GIRO at Procity from about 7 to 8:30, then unfortunately.......... work [yes I do that occasionally].

SUNDAY....probably join you hard core fans at Oak Bay Rec. cheers, p.c.