Alan's crash today

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

Alan

Alan's crash today

Post by Alan »

After getting dropped by the A's, I regrouped with John T. and the new John. Coming up Henderson, I was second in line, there was a couple of raccoons running, full tilt right at us, zigzagging. I didn't see the varmints before it was too late, and hit the lead coon, and crashed on my left side. I've now got a destroyed hemet, a separated shoulder and a menu of painkillers for the next few weeks. (Who says I don't like drugs...better living through chemistry, right?) The coon and I sat on the curb for a bit to commiserate and compare wounds and then he scampered off. Dave S. stopped to help, as usual. John T. drove me to Emergency to get the look-over.

The upside of all this is that my mouse-hand still works, and because one-handed typing is so slow, I now have the impetus to finally invest in some voice-recognition software. Plus the bike is intact, and if my wife let's me out I should still be able to ride my unicycle. As they used to roar at us in the Airborne Regiment, "Pain is only a sign that you're still alive."
Chris Watt

Re: Alan's crash today

Post by Chris Watt »

Crap Alan -- really sorry to hear. Better a raccoon than a deer I suppose. With the police keeping a closer eye on cyclists recently hopefully they caught this incident and issued the varmint a ticket for irresponsible crossing- he was probably on his way home from an all-night carouse.

This was not the beer-drinking arm, then?

Speedy healing.

Cheers,
Chris
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

Alan,

The pain will get worse. How do I know? You used upper case letters in your message. Soon, it will hurt way too much to bother hitting the shift key with your left hand. The accident was weird: They weren't crossing the road - they were running straight at us. No way of knowing which way to turn.

JT
David Hill

Post by David Hill »

Hey Alan. Sorry to hear about that. Riding in the 2nd B group we saw you, Dave S and others along the side of the road, and since you were sitting up (sans helmet), we assumed that you were bruised but not broken, and in better hands than we could offer.
Did it occur to anyone to grab the offending critter and make you a Davy Crocket cap? I think you should add the feature to your new helmet. I don't know if Giro makes a coonskin model, but I'm sure Galen could whip one up for you.

Glad to hear you're more or less okay, and especially that you had a helmet on. Better that get wrecked than your head.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

There was banter at coffee at some point about "sending in the 'coons" to gain a race advantage, or something. I had no idea it was a reference to highly unlikely, recent, real-life events.

Separated joints are supposedly awful, so I hope your dosages are up to snuff. Mend well, Alan.
Quentin

Post by Quentin »

Get well soon Alan!
Paul C.

Post by Paul C. »

Alan Great to hear you have retained your sense of humor and there appears to be no minor brain damage[make sure the new helmet at least matches one of our four outfits] Heal Fast and come for coffee soon!!! cheers, pc
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

That sucks Alan, get better soon!!

Remember the old Canadian idiom " Nobody wins in a game of chicken with a racoon"
Current Winter Gloating point amount - 16730 (and counting)
BearPope Recruit

Post by BearPope Recruit »

Wow, heal fast Alan & hope the road to recovery goes well!

Lucky it wasn't a turtle - Dave S would have likely stopped to help it out first.

Take care, Jen
sylvan

Alan's crash today

Post by sylvan »

That sucks, Alan. I hope John is wrong and it only gets better. How is it that you hit a raccoon and got a real injury and I got t-boned by a Chevy Silverado pickup on Sunday and have a slightly scraped knee? Not fair.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Hi Alan, sorry to hear about the crash and your injuries. Hope you get better soon.
EricS

Post by EricS »

Alan,

If only you had listened to the Pharmaceutical Companies who have been trying to tell you that you are Pre-Separatic. Your lifestyle pointed to the fact the your shoulder could separate at any time, and had you been taking Seprator (TM) daily, perhaps you would have avoided this. I've been on it for 3 years now, and except for the $300 per month and the anal leakage, I feel totally safe going into corners.

Eric
Last edited by EricS on Wed May 16, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Simonson
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

Heal well Alan! hope to see you on the road again soon.
Chris Watt

Post by Chris Watt »

"...except for the $300 per month and the anal leakage, I feel totally safe going into corners."

Out-loud laugh of the day...thanks Eric.

Cheers,
Chris
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

EricS wrote:Alan,

If only you had listened to the Pharmaceutical Companies who have been trying to tell you that you are Pre-Separatic. Your lifestyle pointed to the fact the your shoulder could separate at any time, and had you been taking Seprator (TM) daily, perhaps you would have avoided this. I've been on it for 3 years now, and except for the $300 per month and the anal leakage, I feel totally safe going into corners.

Eric
I nominate this for post of the year
Current Winter Gloating point amount - 16730 (and counting)
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

jeremy wrote:
EricS wrote:Alan,

Eric
I nominate this for post of the year
Seconded.
I've got an obnoxious helmet. It's green.